Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: P320 issue in PA

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    Edit: Doh! I type slower than that guy^^^

From the article...

No reason for their training/maintenance unit to be trained armorer's in any other weapon system than the Glock. Their forensics unit on the other hand...

I'd be willing to bet the Forensics guys have a much broader knowledge and experience base.

Which department of the PPD OFS would be the lead on this then? The FIU seems to be forensic ballistics only, at least by the website.

https://www.phillypolice.com/units/forensics/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Sorry for the lack of clarity. I am very skeptical of spontaneous discharges without manipulation of the trigger. The lock on the striker seems very solid to me. If striker is moving forward, something is deactivating the lock on the striker or the design itself is being defeated by out of spec parts. This wouldn't be the first time that some form of tolerance stacking caused drop safe issues.
    To me this would be even more damning of Sigs QC.
    Not only did it slip past QC on initial manufacturing, it also slipped past QC when "upgraded".

I hope for the people carrying Sigs sake this was operator error.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Which department of the PPD OFS would be the lead on this then? The FIU seems to be forensic ballistics only, at least by the website.

https://www.phillypolice.com/units/forensics/index.html
    Dunno...I have zero knowledge of PPD. The article names the Firearms Forensics Unit (FFU?), while the website lists an FIU. I don't know if they're one-in-the-same, or if they both exist as separate entities with different duties.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Our armorer's have a few certifications beyond what we issue, but the forensics guys usually have like a dozen certifications. And we have numerous units involved in firearms ivestigation....FFU, Crime Gun Information Center, etc.

Meeting today with Sig. Definitely gonna need answers.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Huh, so they impulsively sold all 350 guns before they closed their investigation into the incident, just for their forensic department to conclude that the weapon was in perfect function?

This sounds like a problem with the department, not the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDenton View Post
    Huh, so they impulsively sold all 350 guns before they closed their investigation into the incident, just for their forensic department to conclude that the weapon was in perfect function?

I'd re-read this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDenton View Post

I think the frustrating thing about these incidents is we never really get to the bottom of them. Back in the mid-oughties, Portland PD had two Glock 21s Ka-boom in rapid succession, so they responded by removing the Glock 21 from service and mandating the 17 or 19 for patrol. Whenever I asked anyone about it, they would just shake their head.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    I'd re-read this thread.
    Could you be more specific? I’ve seen nothing in this thread as concrete as two separate investigations by the PPD’s Officer Involved Shooting Investigation, and Firearms Forensic Units both determining the gun in question to be in perfect functioning order.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I think the frustrating thing about these incidents is we never really get to the bottom of them. Back in the mid-oughties, Portland PD had two Glock 21s Ka-boom in rapid succession, so they responded by removing the Glock 21 from service and mandating the 17 or 19 for patrol. Whenever I asked anyone about it, they would just shake their head.
    A short lifetime ago I ran the IT department for a school district outside of Philly. One beautiful Saturday morning I awoke to several voicemails in regards to a cart of Apple laptops that had caught fire in the library of an elementary school that was attached to the district administration building. The fire damage was relatively small, but the smoke damage stretched beyond my no-experience-in-firefighting-or-investigation belief, regardless it was a significant amount of monetary damage. The one thing that stood out for me and my guys was we had just completed a 100% district-wide battery inspection (there was an industry-wide battery recall at the time) and these were not effected.

Long story short, despite Apple engineers, insurance types, and the cart company suits we were never told as to what the actual cause of the fire was. The company line was: it's been paid for.

My uneducated guess, with the P320 "issues", is that they have been paid for.

User Tag List