Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: FBI Issue S&W Model 10-8 2.5 inch

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Assuming that mine comes back from the mothership in good shape, I'll shoot it some more and then probably install one of those.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Bruce, Nicely done article. Rationale for the 2.5" barrel was to enable fitting the full-length ejector rod. The 3-inch barrel on the .357 Model 13 was needed to produce acceptable ballistic uniformity with .357 and it also improved performance with the X38SPD .357578 Special lead HP.

Expect you may have known SA William F. Vanderpool as he was an Academy instructor at Quantico when you were there. I worked with him on several ammunition projects when I worked in the firearms industry and he was a neighbor when I lived in Burke, VA and worked at the Marine Corps Development Center.
    Outpost 75:

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate them. As to Bill Vanderpool, I think I may have met him at one point when I was stationed at Quantico. It may have been at the Globe and Laurel Restaurant but I am not sure.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Is a "red handle" a sim gun? What's involved in the conversion?
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    It is a deactivated revolver, action works, but won’t fire. I believe firing pins were removed, don’t recall any other mods. All trainees were issued one to practice DA trigger, drawing, reloading, etc. Live weapons were only issued when going to the range. All the trainee red handles were skinny barrel 4” Model 10s with square butt, the issue sidearms before the 3” M13 was adopted.
    john c and LtDave:

The "red handles" were and I believe still are in use for New Agent Training ("NAT"). My New Agent Class ("NAC") class had red handle Sig P228s and there were red handle Glocks as well after they were adopted as the issue handgun. I also saw red handle Browning High Powers and a Colt 1911A1 in 38 Super. A lot of former duty weapons were also modified for simunition marking cartridge use as well. We also had red handle Remington 870 shotguns when the gauge was still being taught.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

Site Supporter
    Bruce, being a student of police history (since I've lived through so much of it), I really enjoy your posts on FBI firearms. The Bureau has historically and currently does a lot for law enforcement firearms training. Bravo zulu, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Bruce, being a student of police history (since I've lived through so much of it), I really enjoy your posts on FBI firearms. The Bureau has historically and currently does a lot for law enforcement firearms training. Bravo zulu, brother.
    Agreed. In the 90s, the Cincinnati field office had some good guys that put on SWAT and “observer/sniper” classes.

Also, back then, pre-Simunition, red handled revolvers were used to shoot 38 Special cases loaded only with primers and cotton balls. I don’t know if they were locally loaded or commercially available

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Not fixed sight, though.
    We need a hammer-less 3” 65, with no frickin hole!

Great write up Bruce[emoji106]

Thanks for sharing.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    We need a hammer-less 3” 65, with no frickin hole!
    Name:  3DAD6952-A149-4C9B-A89E-E6494FB5D0B2.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  41.9 KB

Close enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Close enough?
    While we're at it
    Name:  20210309_140357.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  101.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    jnc36rcpd:
    You're welcome. I am glad you enjoyed my post.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Great write up Bruce[emoji106]

Thanks for sharing.
    jtcarm:

Glad to.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Stephanie B:

Agreed, but I would like to see a version with a Novak style dovetail factory front sight to facilitate sight changes.

I will say that I wish Ruger would bring back the Speed/Service/Security Six series guns. As much as I love my S&Ws, the Rugers are my go to choice.

Nice Model 65 by the way.

Bruce
    Close enough?
    Bruce Cartwright

User Tag List