Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hammer Pair Help

Site Supporter

41magfan

Thank you for chiming in. I suspected shooting hammers wouldn't necessarily easily translate from one gun to another. I never fired a 1911, but hear they have nice, 3lb or so triggers. That would certainly help in any type of shooting. Taking the Gun Site 250 class class must have be fun and informative. That's way beyond my budget, but I have books, Pistol Forum and YouTube I can rely on for tips and advice.

Site Supporter

MVS

MVS, that would have been great to meet and shoot together now and then, but our mitten is pretty wide. It probably takes around four hours to travel from one side to the other. I've never been further West than Lansing, it has a great music store. You have it made having an outdoor range so close. I would certainly use it during the winter too, but I think my cut off point would be around 32 degrees. Racking a gun with temps in the teens has to painful on the fingers, unless you keep your gun and hands inside pockets between strings. You must reload your mags inside your car, because finger don't function very well in those temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    MVS, that would have been great to meet and shoot together now and then, but our mitten is pretty wide. It probably takes around four hours to travel from one side to the other. I've never been further West than Lansing, it has a great music store. You have it made having an outdoor range so close. I would certainly use it during the winter too, but I think my cut off point would be around 32 degrees. Racking a gun with temps in the teens has to painful on the fingers, unless you keep your gun and hands inside pockets between strings. You must reload your mags inside your car, because finger don't function very well in those temps.
    If you are talking about Elderly Instruments, I know it well, my wife can confirm that.

I use all sorts of tricks to go to the range in the cold. Heated vest with built in handwarmer, and taking a MyBuddy space heater out with me are two of them.

33 posts on this topic and not one person mentions that Jeff Cooper codified, defined and thoroughly explained hammers vs controlled pairs five decades ago.

That is rather sad.

Hammers have their occasional uses. Like knocking down a 15 yard split popper a bit faster then one’s opponent, in a 499 class shootoff.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Archer1440; 03-13-2023 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    33 posts on this topic and not one person mentions that Jeff Cooper codified, defined and thoroughly explained hammers vs controlled pairs five decades ago.

That is rather sad.
    But now we have supercalifrag terminology like "reactive" and "predictive."
    But you seem to be doing the same thing with the gun.

At my skill level, the hammer has to be on a quite close target, but it does happen when I round a corner and find a target in my face.
    Got me a PE once, though. The CoF said two to the body, one to the head. Well, after weaving through all the props for a while, I rounded that corner with the gun up and found that close target. Three quickly in the head and move on. Oops.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post

That is rather sad.

Hammers have their occasional uses. Like knocking down a 15 yard split popper a bit faster then one’s opponent, in a 499 class shootoff.
    Who ?

Cooper / Gunsite have AN explanation but it’s not THE explanation.

Cooper made significant contributions to the shooting art but his long term influence has been limited by the fact that at a certain point he stopped trying to innovate and instead decided his way was THE way and he everything figured out. He came around a bit at the end but by then the damage was done. Stagnation is death.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Who ?

Cooper made significant contributions to the shooting art but his long term influence has been limited by the fact that at a certain point he stopped trying to innovate and instead decided his way was THE way and he everything figured out. He came around a bit at the end but by then the damage was done. Stagnation is death.
    This and folks are always rediscovering something old that works, that has been forgotten. Look at the cowboys carrying OAIWB.
    #RESIST

Every generation thinks they invented the wheel.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Who ?

Cooper made significant contributions to the shooting art but his long term influence has been limited by the fact that at a certain point he stopped trying to innovate and instead decided his way was THE way and he everything figured out. He came around a bit at the end but by then the damage was done. Stasis is death.
    FIFY.

Stagnation is merely the road to it. :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Danko you have started a great thread. Very good info coming here. I'd like to make a recommendation. Start shooting w/ that idpa group reasonably near you. I have been doing that for about 6 years and for the last 3.5 been shooting two matches per month. I am still a middle of the pack shooter and am ecstatic if I get close to 1/3 down from the top overall. In addition to the fun shooting, you are hanging around a bunch of guys w/ near identical interests for 2-3-4 hours. You see many different ranges of skill. Some of us are old, some could even be called slightly crippled, but we all do the best we can do. You see a lot of different guns and how they work out in that environment. EVERY person I have ever asked a question of stopped what he was doing and gave me a thoughtful reply. I don't know what shooting you are allowed to do at your usual range but idpa offers almost any position you could think of. Last weekend we had the old van on one stage. Stand at driver's door gun in holster but mags on the seat, gong goes off open door load gun shoot through the open door window forward at three targets at different distances, grab the baby carrier, run around the back of the van, put the carrier in the van as you go by towards the passenger door and shoot two targets while moving before getting to the door, open the door to get your other mag so you can shoot 3 poppers through the door window. Unless you have a personal range you just can't do this stuff at any normal range.

User Tag List