Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Drawing Attention Away From Your Concealed Carry Gun (Written by: Greg Ellifritz)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    In my experience, a hot girlfriend or wife is just as apt to cause trouble as not. YMMV.
    A sacrifice I am personally willing to make!

Quote Originally Posted by newt View Post
    A sacrifice I am personally willing to make!
    Understood. I have a few battle scars myself.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I read the article as well, and it does give some valid points about drawing the eyes to places you want people to look using color/pictures/text. It's not something that will always work, but it can help.

I like hoodies during the cooler months, but pullovers with the pass through pocket on the front bring up other issues when trying to layer up/down during the day as temps change, and the zip front ones just are not the same. My favorite hoody type jacket is a USMC surplus Polartec 1/4-zip fleece in coyote brown. I think I paid $10 for it. It does not have a hood, but it is baggy enough to conceal things well, no drawstrings, and the head opening is large enough to make donning/doffing easy... without mussing my fabulous hair, or flashing my gun.

Site Supporter
    I wear a fanny pack most of the summer.

Nobody cares.

#unclegrandpa
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

https://www.rockerrags.com/def-leppa...s-black-shirt/

I used to wear this shirt all the time under an open button-down shirt. A fellow participant at TacCon '13 pointed out the fact that it made a great aiming point on my upper center chest.
    So you can tilt the balance a little too far sometimes.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Body language also reveals a lot. People carrying a pistol who are not used to it will often touch or adjust it through their clothing. They also tend to protect it by keeping their weapon side turned away from whoever they are interacting with. This can be observed as the offside of the body being a little bit stiff and the arms not swinging evenly when the person walks.

People who do carry regularly often make the mistake of wearing what I call "the costume" because they want to portray a certain image. You have seen them, black shirt, tactical boots, 511 pants and the all telling desert tan vest that makes them stand out like a turd in the punch bowl. If you really want to conceal carry in the summer without being noticed wear one of those fluorescent green reflective safety vests that construction worker wear. These are extremely light and comfortable and don't scream GUN like the ubiquitous photographers vest. Big loose Hawaiian shirts also work well as they are seldom worn tucked in.

In the Eighties, a gun writer, Leroy Thompson, wrote an article along similar lines, except it was more oriented to carrying while dressed-up, so ties that drew attention were a significant part of it. Not “loud” ties, as I recall, but a pattern or emblem that drew the eyes toward the tie. Same principle, I think.

Not that I am much of a full-time tie-wearer, any more than a wearer of thick hoodies, in warm, humid, swampy SE Texas.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-04-2019 at 05:59 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    People who do carry regularly often make the mistake of wearing what I call "the costume" because they want to portray a certain image. You have seen them, black shirt, tactical boots, 511 pants and the all telling desert tan vest that makes them stand out like a turd in the punch bowl.

Last edited by Cypher; 05-04-2019 at 07:04 AM.

Many years ago, I showed up for a night-before group dinner prior to a next-day concealed carry course (my first). Wore my weekend "standard attire". Instructor held me up as about as good an example of the "gray man" as he had seen. I actually wasn't sure what he was talking about until he explained. "Here's a guy", he said, "gray hair, thick prescription glasses, fly fishing shirt with an interesting logo over the breast pocket and cap with a different and distinctive fly fishing logo on it. He's not particularly distinctive [laughing], but his shirt and cap are."

If you're a pretty boring person, being yourself can be a pretty good disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Needs a Maxpedition somethingorother that "doesn't look tactical at all, bro".

User Tag List