Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCC and Handgun proficiency

PCC and Handgun proficiency

I think good pistol shooters easily tradition to shooting a carbine well. The opposite is not necessarily true.

Something I have started noticing is that USPSA shooters that have exclusively been shooting PCC for an extended period, in many cases, are losing their pistol skills. Watching them come back to the pistol, or try to come back, quit, and go back to the carbine, is ugly. Carbines teach eye speed, but the heavy weight, light light triggers, minimal recoil and multiple points of contact of the PCC is very different than shooting a handgun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

OMG, I didn't fire pistol for 3 weeks during the hunting season and first time back was pathetic. I will never repeat that. The degradation was barely noticeable at 7 yard shooting but profound at 15-25 yds.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    OMG, I didn't fire pistol for 3 weeks during the hunting season and first time back was pathetic. I will never repeat that. The degradation was barely noticeable at 7 yard shooting but profound at 15-25 yds.
    Preach brother!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Several weeks ago, I shot a higher end two gun match but didn't have the time to practice much handgun or rifle before the match. I pretty much was dialed in after the first stage with the rifle, my pistol shooting suffered throughout the entire match.

Hanguns are incredibly unforgiving when it comes to trigger control, rifles, not so much.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think good pistol shooters easily tradition to shooting a carbine well. The opposite is not necessarily true.
    Should PCC shooters rate the next classification down then (ie PCC M = Limited A)? Or should PCC classifications remain separate from pistol?

Site Supporter
    One of the reasons I became an active Sporting Clays shooter was that once I reached a certain level, I could sustain my Clays ability when I got busy. When I was competing in USPSA, my pistols skills eroded dramatically when I was away from competition.

I shot a local PCC match last weekend with my MPX SBR - so much fun.

Site Supporter
    I shoot both pistol and PCC in matches. Don't have the time to put into practice, so I under perform in both. But I really enjoy the shooting!
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I rarely shoot my carbines anymore, maybe a couple magazines every other month.
    In local multi-gun matches I hold my own with guys who do a lot more carbine shooting (like the Border Patrol guys, those guys are top of the heap when it comes to LE carbine shooters).
    But if I miss a few weeks shooting handgun, ALL my shooting drops off noticeably.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I shoot maybe one, at most two 3G match every year and, without exception, every time I feel how awkward and ugly my rifle shooting is. How long it takes to get into a position, how long to acquire a target on a high magnification, barricades etc. I do pretty good with the pistol though.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I shoot maybe one, at most two 3G match every year and, without exception, every time I feel how awkward and ugly my rifle shooting is. How long it takes to get into a position, how long to acquire a target on a high magnification, barricades etc. I do pretty good with the pistol though.
    AUG with a Trijicon TA33.
    It's like shooting a handsgun instead of a rifle.

I'm sure if I tried to break out a full size comp ready AR with a throw lever optic and offset RMR it'd be awkward as hell for me.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List