Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #RevolverCurious

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Do you like the hardcast Buffalo bore wadcutters or mainly stick with the Federal gold medal target loads?
    Federal Gold Medal Match for me. Best primers for max reliability.

Is there anyone who carries, or would carry, the 125gr. magnums of yore?

I know RexG used one to spectacular effect. A lot of the old guys in my Dept. when I started swore by it. "It blows motherfuckers up" is a direct quote. Pre-1980, when

a civil rights goober managed to get elected and hired an NYPD Captain to be our chief, the department had the second highest use of force in the US.

A couple of brothers had 30 kills between them. Lot's of old timers had 5 or more fatal shootings. One old gunsmith I knew killed 3 robbers on Halloween.

Point being, none of these guys considered .357 125s to be all bark no bite.

edit:and to RevChuck's point about 9mm development, will the .38 get similar development(can it be developed?) to raise it to a top tier round? Once Gropy Joe outlaws everything

besides sixguns and two shoots?
    Last edited by feudist; 11-30-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Because they carry great and, especially if roundbutted and bobbed, are probably the best dehorned medium frame handguns ever made.
    Yes they do. This was my backup that I carried when my m19 was down. It'll be my daughters when she's older.

Name:  20201130_132615.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  39.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post

I know RexG used one to spectacular effect. A lot of the old guys in my Dept. when I started swore by it. "It blows motherfuckers up" is a direct quote. Pre-1980, when

a civil rights goober managed to get elected and hired an NYPD Captain to be our chief, the department had the second highest use of force in the US.

A couple of brothers had 30 kills between them. Lot's of old timers had 5 or more fatal shootings. One old gunsmith I knew killed 3 robbers on Halloween.

Point being, none of these guys considered .357 125s to be all bark no bite.

edit:and to RevChuck's point about 9mm development, will the .38 get similar development(can it be developed?) to raise it to a top tier round? Once Gropy Joe outlaws everything

besides sixguns and two shoots?
    I wouldn't not carry them. Now that ive gotten better grips i can shoot them with no fatigue. They shoot to low in my m66 but my m19 with adjustable sight is fine. Now that Ive settled on a cd-2 iwb im not worried about the hp being smashed either.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I wouldn't not carry them. Now that ive gotten better grips i can shoot them with no fatigue. They shoot to low in my m66 but my m19 with adjustable sight is fine. Now that Ive settled on a cd-2 iwb im not worried about the hp being smashed either.
    CD-2?

CD-2?
    Safariland cd-2 at 12 oclock iwb

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think it would be cool to have a 357 load with a 0.357" 147G2 going the same speed as our pistols with a fast enough powder not to light the curtains on fire. There have to be dozens of us that want a factory load like that!!!
    Kinda like my 140gr xtp at 1150fps

Several local agencies had very high opinions of Federal's loading for its track record against charging pit/rottie class dogs. Liked to step out with the 12 gauges usually stoked with 00, #1, or Foster slugs for larger problem critters. They never really shot people 'round here but covered a number of suicides and homicides with them that made them.comfortable enough with the selection.

I'd not feel bad about carrying hot 125 SJHP but have cast my lot with 158 grain SJHP for reasons from car-based carry and whitetail to stubbornly using the same bullet mold as for my .38 reloading. If going with 125 grain pills in a daily carry rig, I'd likely prefer to channel the late Stephen Camp and run midrange magnums. Mostly to save wear and tear on the gun given it'd be reasonable to cook up a comparable practice handload. It'd also help the ol' splits on the ever-present timer.

It’s a shame that actual science and calm analysis of real world results show us that 125gr JHP from a 357 Mag is exactly as effective as 124gr JHP from a 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    It’s a shame that actual science and calm analysis of real world results show us that 125gr JHP from a 357 Mag is exactly as effective as 124gr JHP from a 9mm.
    Have you a link to those results? Or search term?

User Tag List