Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Shooting gloves in cold climates

Shooting gloves in cold climates

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think the best winter shooting glove solution is bare hands with plenty of chalk on your hands and battery powered hand warmers in your pockets.
    Have you found a rechargeable handwarmer that doesn’t suck?

Hothands large size chemical handwarmers are what I’ve settled on after trying electronic ones. They last all day, and can be stored in a plastic bag if not depleted.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

A buddy turned me on to the trick of wearing nitrile gloves under bigger gloves or mittens while steering my tiller drive duck boat. I can say that the nitrile gloves make a significant difference. My hand still gets cold, but not as cold. When it is really cold, I wear the nitrile all morning in the duck boat. Keeps my skin from making direct contact with metal. Yeah, my hands will eventually sweat inside the nitrile glove, but that’s better than not being able to feel my fingers.

I would try nitrile gloves under mittens that can be easily removed.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

As noted, there are numerous different environments being dealt with.

If the question is gloves, the one stop shop is ALWAYS Outdoor Research. If they haven’t made what you need yet, you likely don’t need it.

Check out the Cold Shot -
    https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/gear-tactical

Cabelas used to have some epic shooting gloves - super thin Thinsulate under Kangaroo leather. It appears to be discontinued under the Bass Pro ownership.
    Name:  14DA7CC1-AB6D-435D-B651-6D847798AA1D.jpeg
Views: 286
Size:  26.5 KB

Site Supporter
    I’ve just been using flight gloves. They are pretty thin and very conducive to dexterity and get super flexible once broken in but need some aid when severe cold is involved. But they are thin enough to stuff in a mitten.

Tell you guys what…tomorrow I’ll break into my flight gear bin and see how many pairs I have on hand. They are the older general issue style (we use the blackhawk or camelback brands now) but I’ll ship them out to whoever wants to try them!

Dexterity comes at the cost of warmth.

Nitrile gloves will keep the wind from biting your hands, while allowing you to shoot. They won't keep your hands warm. That's what hand warmers and pockets are for.

I shoot all winter. I was out in 5° a few days ago. I wear mechanics gloves under my OR mitts.
    Name:  IMG_20220111_135440.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  73.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220111_141526~2.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  28.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220111_143121~2.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  42.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I’ve just been using flight gloves. They are pretty thin and very conducive to dexterity and get super flexible once broken in but need some aid when severe cold is involved. But they are thin enough to stuff in a mitten.
    I like the mil flight gloves, they're good at taking the edge off the cold.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Dexterity comes at the cost of warmth.

Nitrile gloves will keep the wind from biting your hands, while allowing you to shoot. They won't keep your hands warm. That's what hand warmers and pockets are for.
    I normally wear Mechanix Fast Fit unless it’s below zero, I do have one pair of very thin wool blend that are thin enough to be useful and warm enough for very cold weather but useless in wet conditions.

Now you guys have me wondering about Nitrile gloves over a pair of thin glove liners to create dead air around my skin.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I normally wear Mechanix Fast Fit unless it’s below zero, I do have one pair of very thin wool blend that are thin enough to be useful and warm enough for very cold weather but useless in wet conditions.

Now you guys have me wondering about Nitrile gloves over a pair of thin glove liners to create dead air around my skin.
    I’ve done it both ways both in outdoor work and on a motorcycle in cold weather and it works. However, it’s hard to find a nitrile glove that stands up well to handling any kind of objects with sharp edges or catch points for long. I always end up tearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I shoot all winter. I was out in 5° a few days ago. I wear mechanics gloves under my OR mitts.

Im not tough like that any more, when it gets cold I just want to go to Arizona.

https://www.weatherforyou.com/report...it=Get+Weather
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List