Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Front sight - press

I am due for an eye doc appt. in April, when I was shooting the other day I went out to 25 yards and could barely see a B8 center .... I thought presbyopia was my only problem maybe I now need distance correction too.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    I am due for an eye doc appt. in April, when I was shooting the other day I went out to 25 yards and could barely see a B8 center .... I thought presbyopia was my only problem maybe I now need distance correction too.
    Are you familiar with monovision correction? May be worth checking into and discussing if it's a good fit.
    Taking a break from social media.

Why would it matter if your focus is on the front sight, or the target, if your sights are properly pointed at the target.

You need trigger control to shoot precise groups. You need grip to fire successive shots at a relevant speed. For most pistols shots, people vastly overate the amount of aiming that is required. Rob Leatham made a video about that. Heck, if your index is good enough, you don’t need any sights, as Jim Wall of Milt Sparks demonstrates by winning a big match with no sights on his 1911.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We have discussed this in years past.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....focus-shooting
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Why would it matter if your focus is on the front sight, or the target, if your sights are properly pointed at the target.

You need trigger control to shoot precise groups. You need grip to fire successive shots at a relevant speed. For most pistols shots, people vastly overate the amount of aiming that is required. Rob Leatham made a video about that. Heck, if your index is good enough, you don’t need any sights, as Jim Wall of Milt Sparks demonstrates by winning a big match with no sights on his 1911.
    I respect your knowledge, and as having been a member here for quite a while I am familiar with everything you contribute here and enjoy reading your posts, you are saying that you can just point your gun at a low probability target at distance and be confident of making that shot just by having your fundamentals up to par? My perceived problem is that I can't align my sights well due to age related vision problems, and the target is not clear either at distance when pointing / aiming / aligning my sights. You know the old equal height, equal light method is challenging with my vision.
    Last edited by GOTURBACK; 01-13-2020 at 06:39 PM.

I have heard that reflex/rds can be problematic in the rain,

I have been thinking of trying a fiber optic front but I have seen them fly out of other people's guns or break during a match, being that all my guns are carry guns bombproof reliability in all conditions is paramount.
    My experience is different. Not only has the FO in my carry gun has never broken, the one in my USPSA Production pistol hasn't either. I forgot how long they've been on there. And if it the FO rod ever falls off, the black front sight is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We have discussed this in years past.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....focus-shooting
    I have to read this post thoroughly I remember seeing it previously, I was watching a video about a vision training drill to help develop changing between a near sight focus, and a far target focus. But my arms are not long enough for a near sight focus.... lol.

I find it interesting that the discussion kind of turned to limited eye sight / impaired vision shooters.

Stoeger is the most credible proponent of target focused shooting and I don't think he has vision problems. He thinks it is a faster way to shoot without giving up much accuracy. And The Way to shoot when shooter or target are not stationary. Irrespective of visual acuity.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    And if it the FO rod ever falls off, the black front sight is still there.
    Not only is the front sight still there but if the lighting is good you have a "dot" made of the light shining through the hole where the FO was.

I am sorry I led this thread adrift, I guess with my skill level which is surely much less than many here, and no where near Stoeger, or Leatham I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the target focus method being accurate enough to make low probability shot when missing means hitting an innocent human being. Back on track guys.
    Last edited by GOTURBACK; 01-14-2020 at 01:30 AM.

User Tag List