Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Pistols

AR Pistols

I'm considering an AR pistol with an arm brace but wanted to hear some thoughts from dudes who know more than me.

• General consensus on AR pistols?
    • Optimum barrel length & caliber? Is a 7" 300 blackout better than a 11.875" 223?
    • If the AR pistol is viable, who are some good companies to buy from? Or is it better to build one?

Is there some other question I should be asking but don't know enough to ask?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Daniel Defense Mk18 Pistol if you don’t want to go down the tax stamp/NFA/SBR route.

10.3in barrel, solid setup, reputable maker, tested platform.

5.56 naturally, and unless you need something for a stated purpose (pig hunting, etc) that round should accomplish all of your defense needs without any second thoughts.

DD is really over gassed.. 11.5 uppers are the shortest I would go for reliability and ballistics

Bcm and colt 11.5 are good to go.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 02-03-2019 at 06:55 PM.

With a good brace I think an AR pistol is a viable option. Braces aren't as good as stocks though.
    For 5.56 10" is minimum with 12" being better. If you want to go shorter .300BLK is a better choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    DD is really over gassed..
    I've been told that in the last year or so, DD's MK18s have been adhering to the Crane spec gas port size of 0.070", and that they'll even take your old upper and rebarrel it for you free of charge if it was overgassed.

That being said, I think Centurion Arms is probably the place to go for a turn-key solution, unless you absolutely need a 10.3"/10.5": https://www.centurionarms.com/product-p/cm4pistol.htm

No other reputable place is going to have a pistol with a CHF barrel for that kind of pricing.

I will say that I'm leery on the concept of pistols in general if you're in a state that allows SBRs, unless it's just a way to use your gun while the Form 1 gets approved, or if there's some other state law peculiarities (e.g., can't leave a rifle loaded in a vehicle, but a pistol is okay). Otherwise, the ATF can change their opinion on AR braces at anytime.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 02-03-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'm planning on a 11.5" BCM with an SBA3 later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    That being said, I think Centurion Arms is probably the place to go for a turn-key solution, unless you absolutely need a 10.3"/10.5": https://www.centurionarms.com/product-p/cm4pistol.htm
    X2. I’m going to try to scoop up one of these soon.
    Shoot more, post less...

SBA3 Brace
    11.5 minimum for 556 and 12.5 is also sweet
    VLTOR A5 buffer system with the right size gas port (.067 to .070) is the sweet spot for reliability and tame recoil
    I don't recommend a muzzle brake for something this short. Too loud, too much blast pressure, and too much flash. Stick with a bird cage flash hider or a one for a suppressor.
    The DD MK18 would be a good one to buy if they've reduced the gas port. BCM is good to go and you can buy or build from their website.
    I've got a 12.5 BCM I built with a Leupold VX-R 1.5-4x20 scope thats really awesome and only weighs 7.3 lbs. I can put a 30 round mag in the head box at 100 yards from prone in under a minute. It's also nice for maneuvering indoors.
    Last edited by Paul Blackburn; 02-03-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    5.56 is going to be cheaper to shoot but if you want anything shorter than 10.3” then .300 BO is the way to go.

Another option is to build your own lower so you get the brace you want and buying the complete upper of your choice,

In addition to the choices mentioned, I can also recommend Sons Of Liberty Gun Works and SIONICS.

Jay, what's the use case? What are the scenarios you see yourself using the pistol? That will determine type, caliber, length, brace selection etc.

SBA4 is as good as a stock. SB will be releasing an adjustable version in April. I've got a bunch that do different things. It all depends what you want to do. Shoot piggies? Through barriers? Cheap practice that's convenient to transport? Short as possible to live in a messenger bag for Bourne Identity reasons?

User Tag List