Page 7 of 152 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    I use this one too and really like it

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post

I used Meathead's Memphis Rub from amazingribs.com; it was pretty good!
    I also use Meatheads rub. I enjoy it and always get compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    This thread is awesome. I may need to buy a smoker. What would the Glock 19 of smokers be?
    Weber Smokey Mountain. Or a UDS.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    I'm about to buy a new grilling setup, if anyone has any recommendations. I'm looking at your standard weber with a Slow N' Sear for a combination charcoal grill/ small smoker. But I'm undecided on my gas grill.

I like to have one of each so I can do weekend/classy work on the charcoal and nightly "I just want dinner before the kids start yelling" stuff on the gas.

But for that reason I'm looking for something more budget on the gas side. Under $400. Don't need a ton of space, but I'd like something that's built to last and cooks well. Any recommendations/thoughts? So far I've mostly been going off of amazingribs.com for recommendations of what to look for.

Definitely going for the digital thermometer addition. I know the built in ones are worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I was checking out the Nexgrills at Home Depot. https://goo.gl/photos/bhf6pCg6MN8WDnX28
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Gen...0001/300159098

I know that a lot of folks have a hard time spending Weber money, but there really is a reason they cost a little more. The Genesis II e-310 is in stores now, and at $700 it may seem to be almost double the price you guys are looking at, but the warranty and ease of starting alone will make you glad you spent the money. I'd go so far as to call the e-310 the Glock 19 or Colt 6920 of grills.

If you're still really price sensitive, there is NOTHING wrong with the previous gen Genesis. If there are stores that still have them in stock they may even be clearing them out. Amazon or Home Depot may not have them, but a local grill shop might.

Also, of you don't already know, don't buy stainless grills. It's a fallacy that they are better. Remember it's called stain-LESS not stain-PROOF. They rust faster and worse than the color-coated ones and they are actually harder to clean and require more upkeep. Again, kind of like guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    This thread is awesome. I may need to buy a smoker. What would the Glock 19 of smokers be?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    The Weber is, for sure, the standard. Especially for first-timers. And it's easy to store and move around which is often easier for new guys to deal with.

That said, three of my friends who are all very competent barbecuers have bought one of these in the past year or two, and I've eaten at all three houses, and they have produced great results. Less expensive, may require a bit more tending (in all three of their cases the fiddle-fart is part of what they enjoy) but also has quite a bit more capacity. One friend in particular will do a butt on the weekend and also throw a salmon filet on there for the weekdays.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gril...8125/206282469

Site Supporter
    I spent nearly 20 years smoking on a vertical charcoal smoker. Worked great, except in the winter when it was hard to keep temps up and consistent. A few years ago a buddy who had eaten many smoked dinners at my house calls me to check if I was home and shows up 15 minutes later with a new electric smoker he picked up on sale for some ridiculous low price. Punch in the temperature, set the time, stick in the meat probe, add wood chips.

I'd like to try one of those pellet smokers some day... but I haven't missed charcoal, ever.

Best thing to cook in a smoker? Duck!

But since it's hard to find good Down-East-NC pulled pork here in TX...

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I ended up ordering the Signet 320. Of course they were out of stock at Lowes so it's still 3-7 days away.

http://www.broilkingbbq.com/en_us/gr...net/signet_320

All aluminum, 10 year warranty on the burners... hope it's worth the extra cash over the $200 rust wonder I had before.

I have had a Ducane for almost 10 years and it's still going strong. Pretty sure it's made by Weber. Got mine for $500 when Home Depot was discontinuing Ducane. Replaced some parts but the stainless cooking grates have been corrosion free. The coated ones​ rust way too fast so you're eating rust or paint on your steaks.
    Last edited by Bobcat; 05-23-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    I ended up ordering the Signet 320. Of course they were out of stock at Lowes so it's still 3-7 days away.

http://www.broilkingbbq.com/en_us/gr...net/signet_320

All aluminum, 10 year warranty on the burners... hope it's worth the extra cash over the $200 rust wonder I had before.
    I've been very happy with my BK Regal. Although I chose the stainless grids over porcelain.
    Enjoy!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I would prefer the stainless grids! I don't think I have an option to swap them out at order time, though? I may order some replacements.

User Tag List