Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVN-81 USS Doris Miller

CVN-81 USS Doris Miller

I'm OK with this, better than the USS Gabby Giffords or the USS Harvey Milk. What a badass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Doris_Miller

Doris "Dorie" Miller (October 12, 1919 – November 24, 1943) was an American Sailor in the United States Navy.[1] He manned anti-aircraft guns during the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, for which he had no training, and tended to the wounded. He was recognized by the Navy for his actions and awarded the Navy Cross.

He was the first black American to be awarded the Navy Cross, the second highest decoration for valor awarded by the Navy, after the Medal of Honor.[2][3] Miller's acts were heavily publicized in the black press, making him an iconic emblem of the war for black Americans.[4] Nearly two years after Pearl Harbor, he was killed in action when his ship Liscome Bay was sunk by a Japanese submarine during the Battle of Makin.
    #RESIST

Definitely a hero worthy of being remembered.
    I always associate him with a history teacher I had in HS. She was big on black history and talked about Dorie Miller quite a bit, as he was from our general area.

Site Supporter
    America has too many forgotten warfighting heroes to name our warships after anyone less. Dorie Miller is a perfect example - spent virtually his entirely too-short adult life in wartime military service and died all of 24 years old with a Navy Cross. I've met people that hadn't even moved out of their parents house at that age.

Naming warships after politicians? To hell with that.

I'll give a nod to the UK here, though, as they know how to name a warship for its own sake.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    America has too many forgotten warfighting heroes to name our warships after anyone less. Dorie Miller is a perfect example - spent virtually his entirely too-short adult life in wartime military service and died all of 24 years old with a Navy Cross. I've met people that hadn't even moved out of their parents house at that age.

Naming warships after politicians? To hell with that.

I'll give a nod to the UK here, though, as they know how to name a warship for its own sake.
    JRB has the way of it. Either name them and bases after bonafide heroes, or let the British Admiralty name them.
    (Imagines an Iowa class named the Queen Anne's Revenge pounding the Yamato into gravy).

I could sign off on a USS Harriet Tubman.

She did plenty of the Lord's work

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I could sign off on a USS Harriet Tubman.

She did plenty of the Lord's work
    I don't remember her doing much naval stuff. So I think the next tank should be the Harriet.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    I wouldn't dream of taking anything away from what Harriet Tubman accomplished. But her name already graces schools, history books, scholarships, buildings, monuments, etc and rightfully so.

Too many worthy names of warfighters get none of that recognition. In naming warships, even modest ones, we have one of a very few opportunities to celebrate those heroes. Especially in a day and age when the word 'Hero' is so profoundly overused. Which is why I'd like to see warships and such named exclusively after truly memorable uniformed personnel.

Armor traditionally take on names of successful higher commanders and Generals (e.g. Abrams) or they're named in a more 'for themselves' style (e.g. Paladin) - and I'm totally OK with those methodologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I don't remember her doing much naval stuff. So I think the next tank should be the Harriet.

Navel Naval Gazing...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I wouldn't dream of taking anything away from what Harriet Tubman accomplished. But her name already graces schools, history books, scholarships, buildings, monuments, etc and rightfully so.

Too many worthy names of warfighters get none of that recognition. In naming warships, even modest ones, we have one of a very few opportunities to celebrate those heroes. Especially in a day and age when the word 'Hero' is so profoundly overused. Which is why I'd like to see warships and such named exclusively after truly memorable uniformed personnel.

Armor traditionally take on names of successful higher commanders and Generals (e.g. Abrams) or they're named in a more 'for themselves' style (e.g. Paladin) - and I'm totally OK with those methodologies.
    I know :-)

But imagine the conversation:
    Defeated enemy 1:"what the hell just happened?"
    Defeated enemy 2:"a Harriet just blew in".
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I know :-)

But imagine the conversation:
    Defeated enemy 1:"what the hell just happened?"
    Defeated enemy 2:"a Harriet just blew in".
    "That was one hell of a tub, man!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List