Page 54 of 232 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I had a single instance of a failure to fire.
    I'll have to disassemble it and see what's up with the innards of this gun.
    Might be worth ordering in some new springs, since they are cheap and the YOUNGEST they could be is 32 years old

Yesterday

Name:  IMG_20200201_154820606_HDR[2].jpg
Views: 637
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20200201_154222555[1].jpg
Views: 629
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20200201_154138787[1].jpg
Views: 603
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20200201_152333001[1].jpg
Views: 612
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20200201_152017005[1].jpg
Views: 634
Size:  80.2 KB

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Finally got the opportunity to get away from work for a few days and head north. It’s been a rough one in the Upper Great Lakes this year. Lots of snow, lots of ice. Spent yesterday sighting in some .44spl loads, tossed on the snowshoes and headed out this morning. Gorgeous day. No clouds. Zero wind. I’ve really found nothing to date that beats the utility of a big bore revolver combined with the compactness of a lever gun. Toss in my beat up, well used bargain snowshoes and it was a great day...despite several unanticipated waist deep post holes.

Name:  EAB521C6-223E-4F47-A4F4-39112BC96E32.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  39.0 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

First suppressor, first shots.

After 9 month and some change, I was able to pick up my YHM Turbo this week and get out to the range today. I didn't burn myself, have a baffle strike or launch the suppressor downrange.

Huzzah!

It came with a YHM QD BRAKE mount. Got a great price from Hansohn Bros so I should not gripe but I'm really not a muzzle brake guy. I have 2 other uppers that I will be using this with, If I can get 2 of the YHM QD flash hider mounts, I will stick this brake on my dedicated NV upper that will rarely be shot without the suppressor.

I was able to mount the this QD brake mount on my old Model 1 Sales upper due to it having no FF tube and a good 6 1/4" of barrel to clamp in the vice. My targets were 10" steel at 100 yards. In an effort to be somewhat scientific, I had a sound meter app on my phone and I carefully kept it's position the same relative to the muzzle while shooting with the brake alone and with the can.

The results were so inconsistent that the only believable conclusion from the results is that using the can with Hornady Superperformance Match 75gr. was noticeably quieter than any of the 55 grain loads, either my reloads, S+B 55gr. or IMI M193.

My sequence was 5 shots without the can, 5 shots with the can, recording the DB level with each shot. With a shot every 30 sec after 5 shots the can was too hot to grab so I used a leather glove to remove it, it cooled enough during the next 5 shots to reinstall lit by hand.

Re. gas to the face, being left handed I could feel it on my right cheek, not sure if the FWD assist leaked some or if the CH just directed it there. It was not bad, just different. My prescription glasses did get fine droplets of oil on them. No malfs at all with the rifle. I may need to get some kind of Gasbuster CH just to see if it will cut down on the blowby.

I did not notice much POI shift, I can really check it when I get it on my scoped AR. After some sustained fire with the barrel and can heated up, I was missing the steel with the Hornady SP Match 75s. This was from a bipod. After letting it all cool down completely while I did some rimfire practice, it was back to hitting dead on.

As per the the pics below. the can is 6.5" in length and the QD mount goes 2" into the can, so the actual baffles are 4.5". I guess the 2" QD length is the actual first chamber so shortening it would probably make it louder.

All in all I am happy with it. It's not so heavy that I can't still hit steel offhand at 100 yards, although this was one of my lightest ARs. I'll try running it in a carbine match to see how it works. It's got me interested in doing a Form 1 rimfire can for my bolt action Mossberg.

Once again, thanks Hansohn Brothers for a great deal.

Gringop

Name:  20200209_193245A.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  59.1 KB
    Name:  20200209_193420A.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  83.7 KB
    Name:  20200209_193456A.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  86.7 KB
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Shot a box of magnums through my M-66 (ouch, Pachmayr Compac Pro's are not great for this), and put about 250 rounds through my LCP .22lr.
    The first box of high velocity 40gr American Eagle was abysmal, probably 6 or 7 FTE's and 5 light strikes. Then went through a box of CCI Standard Velocity without a hitch, then switched to 40gr Mini Mags for about a hundred rounds. A couple of light strikes and a couple FTE's, surprisingly. Then another box of the HV American Eagle, with one light strike and no FTE's. Maybe it just needed a little time to break in, I don't know.
    Definitely a cool little pistol with a lot of potential... We'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by swampyank33 View Post
    Shot a box of magnums through my M-66 (ouch, Pachmayr Compac Pro's are not great for this), and put about 250 rounds through my LCP .22lr.
    The first box of high velocity 40gr American Eagle was abysmal, probably 6 or 7 FTE's and 5 light strikes. Then went through a box of CCI Standard Velocity without a hitch, then switched to 40gr Mini Mags for about a hundred rounds. A couple of light strikes and a couple FTE's, surprisingly. Then another box of the HV American Eagle, with one light strike and no FTE's. Maybe it just needed a little time to break in, I don't know.
    Definitely a cool little pistol with a lot of potential... We'll see!
    I could have told you that

The compact pros were my first grips, then vz, then the pach compacts, then the UMs, now im back to the compacts. I really think they are the best.

Im interested in the vz conversion grips as well. I just need to sell a bunch of gun stuff first.

Yesterday
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-02-10-15-13-19.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  48.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    I was able to mount the this QD brake mount on my old Model 1 Sales upper due to it having no FF tube and a good 6 1/4" of barrel to clamp in the vice.
    You would be well served by a Magpul Bev block for installing muzzle devices. That, or a Geissele Reaction Rod, but it's much more expensive.

The Bev Block, via Brownells PF Affiliate link...

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod72951.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I could have told you that

The compact pros were my first grips, then vz, then the pach compacts, then the UMs, now im back to the compacts. I really think they are the best.

Im interested in the vz conversion grips as well. I just need to sell a bunch of gun stuff first.

Yesterday
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-02-10-15-13-19.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  48.9 KB
    Gonna have to try the regular compacts at some point. I like the square butt VZ's on my 4inch K's, but they definitely don't conceal as well as the compact pros on the 66. I'm thinking that I'm probably not going to be shooting/carrying the magnums in the 66, will probably just stick to the FBI Load until I get to be a better shooter

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by swampyank33 View Post
    Shot a box of magnums through my M-66 (ouch, Pachmayr Compac Pro's are not great for this)
    I have noticed the same with my aforementioned Ruger when shooting without gloves. With gloves on, no problem. With my gun the main issue is with how the grips are not quite even with the backstrap near the top of the grip, so the recoil impulse gets delivered into my hand by the backstrap alone. The recoil isn't bad but I can definitely feel the spot the gun impacts into the web of my hand after a box of Magnum ammunition.

I'm wondering if Hogue wood grips would match the contours of the backstrap better. Of course just wearing gloves would be cheaper.

File under "repeated demoralizing failures." Not even going to post pictures.

Started out with 50 rounds of .38 through the new GP100 WC at a B8 at 5 yards. Total suckage.

Switched to the PX4CC to run the "5 x 5" drill with my new timer (the AMG Commander, thanks @alexmg). Didn't make the time on one rep, dropped one shot on another.

Feeling better about myself, I did a Dot Torture. Score in the mid 20's from 3 yards. Yeesh.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List