Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J Frame Trigger Reset Problems

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My concern with sending a gun back to Springfield is you don't know what will happen to it. They may fix the problem (or not), but then screw up something else. IMO, the S&W warranty is only valuable if you know the problem is something that can't be fixed without replacing parts that only the factory has. It's worth investigating a bit before giving them a second chance to make a mess of it.

If the problem is just that the insides are full of metal shavings, you can detail strip it, clean and lube, and be good to go. This is something I'm personally uncomfortable not having done in the first place.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Some more gun shops offer ultrasonic cleaning & lubrication services for a pretty decent price. If you're not comfortable with removing the side plate & cleaning & luing the action, something like this may be an option. I really understand your concern about this by the way, S&W have been really twitchy about honoring warranties the last few years.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you go that route, just make damn sure of the chemistry in the ultrasonic cleaner. A lot of the cleaners are marketed with chemicals that can have a very negative effect on anodizing.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    It’ll move forward about maybe 1/4” and stop. Manually pushing it forward works or the last time when I pulled it all the way back to the rear it reset.

I’m not taking the gun apart. It’s brand new, if it needs work it’s going back to the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you cannot take the side plate off and put a few drops of oil on obvious bearing surfaces then who did you have install the new grips? Seriously....3 or 4 minutes of your time is surely better than 3 or 4 weeks without the gun.

It is not the shooter and it is not the ammo it is not a semi-auto. It is broke or it is dry. Besides, if it shoots 6" right or left its going back anyways so try to find that out first. Put on some Boomer pants.

It is a mass produced tool made by hourly assemblers to meet a price point.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If you go that route, just make damn sure of the chemistry in the ultrasonic cleaner. A lot of the cleaners are marketed with chemicals that can have a very negative effect on anodizing.
    An excellent point. If you try this, quiz the shop about which chemicals are used, and how they may affect the finish.

User Tag List