Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiple people shot at White Settlement, Texas church

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Or just shoot the gun out of his hands.

I am friends with a guy who did this. Not on purpose, but the guy was about to pull it on two other officers.

Shot the dudes trigger finger off. Even the suspect told the officer "good shot".
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 01-02-2020 at 08:22 PM.

In terms of Monday morning quarterbacking, while I would expect if from the left, I am surprised how much is coming from gun folks. The suggestion that Mr Wilson was too slow, and that cost lives, strikes me as armchair quarterbacking in the extreme. Also have read that he should have shot for the chest and his shot was obviously a miss that lucked into the head. My view is that most people in that church are very fortunate he was there.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

https://youtu.be/kciJclao2TM

“You have to practice, continuously practice, to be able to hit the target put in front of you.”

Practice well my friends. Continuously practice.
    Last edited by medmo; 01-02-2020 at 11:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    https://youtu.be/kciJclao2TM

“You have to practice, continuously practice, to be able to hit the target put in front of you.”

Practice well my friends. Continuously practice.

As the saying goes “the harder I practice, the luckier I get.”

Definitely can be applied to many facets of life.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The suggestion that Mr Wilson was too slow, and that cost lives, strikes me as armchair quarterbacking in the extreme.
    I don't think it is reasonable to expect all pistol owners to be able to make an on demand headshot at 12 yards under that kind of stress, but I think anybody ought to have a <2.5sec draw from concealment after 1 day of holster practice. Had Mr. Wilson been able to combine his marksmanship with a competent draw, he may well have saved another life.

That isn't assigning blame, but it is valuable to know that fractions of a second = lives in a mass shooting, especially when so few ranges allow drawing from the holster. According to that video interview (12:00-12:35), Mr. Wilson even said he teaches his students to pick up their guns from a table and shoot.

Also have read that he should have shot for the chest and his shot was obviously a miss that lucked into the head.
    He said that he aimed for the head because parishioners did not get down fast enough. The video backs him up:

Wilson's shot breaking (note at least 2 parishioners still sitting upright between Wilson & the perp):
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-01-02-21-22-28-1.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  68.0 KB
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 01-03-2020 at 01:45 AM.

Wilson is a hero, a good shot, and seems to be a very nice guy. That said, this event has many lessons and respectfully analyzing the actions of all involved isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I don't think it is reasonable to expect all pistol owners to be able to make an on demand headshot at 12 yards under that kind of stress, but I think anybody ought to have a <2.5sec draw from concealment after 1 day of holster practice. Had Mr. Wilson been able to combine his marksmanship with a competent draw, he may well have saved another life.

That isn't assigning blame, but it is valuable to know that fractions of a second = lives in a mass shooting, especially when so few ranges allow drawing from the holster. According to that video interview (12:00-12:35), Mr. Wilson even said he teaches his students to pick up their guns from a table and shoot.

He said that he aimed for the head because parishioners did not get down fast enough. The video backs him up:

Wilson's shot breaking (note at least 2 parishioners still sitting upright between Wilson & the perp):
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-01-02-21-22-28-1.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  68.0 KB
    Are you suggesting his draw was slow, if kitted up on the range, and responding to a timer, or in this situation, where you has to go from zero to taking a life, shooting over parishioners and the consequences of being early or wrong would be live-streamed, making you a nationwide pariah?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are you suggesting his draw was slow, if kitted up on the range, and responding to a timer, or in this situation, where you has to go from zero to taking a life, shooting over parishioners and the consequences of being early or wrong would be live-streamed, making you a nationwide pariah?
    Any way you slice it, his draw was slow.

Predraw:
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-01-02-21-08-41-1.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  67.0 KB

Head lifts slightly & arm moves for gun:
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-01-02-21-11-14-1.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  67.8 KB

Still clearing/drawing after 1 second:
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-01-02-21-11-54-1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  68.4 KB

Perp's 1st shot, about 2 seconds after Wilson's initial physical reaction.
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-01-02-21-14-47-1.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  68.5 KB

Perp's 2nd shot, nearly 3 seconds after Wilson's initial physical reaction. Wilson is just now joining his hands to present:
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-01-02-21-17-49-1.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  69.8 KB

Gun finally being presented after 3+ seconds.
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-01-02-21-21-03-1.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  69.0 KB

It is not as if he had a 2.5 second draw and then spent another 2 seconds deciding whether to shoot. In fact, once he finally got the gun to eye level, he didn't waste much time making a very difficult shot so I don't see this as a shoot/no shoot decision delay. It is just an unpracticed 3+ second draw to eye level (~3.75 seconds to shot) - and that's not counting the initial reaction time before his arm began moving to his gun (at least another 1/4 second).

It looks to me like a guy who never practiced drawing from a concealed holster, but who still spent a lot of time on the range practicing acquiring the sights from a low ready (or, as it turns out from his interview, a table pickup).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 01-03-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Site Supporter
    Lots of tactical virtue signaling going on. Of course, all folks who walk around in Condition Orange, would have blah, blah, blah. I'm with GJM. A two second draw from already being prepped for a signal, with a known target, etc. is not the same as this situation in terms of information processing, perception and reaction time. Getting a sight picture and making a difficult shot (including figuring out that this was the best option) - all takes time. It was in fact impressive that he did that.

Folks were more positive on George Zimmerman's draw stroke. That's sarcasm.

User Tag List