Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire 6P Legos

Time to ping @NH Shooter again...

Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-18-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

IMO, the 6P Lego approach offers the following advantages;

• The 6P host has an undisputed track record of reliability and being able to survive the rigors of LE/mil use (zero speculation there)
    • Simple UI with single mode operation, momentary-only Z41 tailcap (perfect for a fight light)
    • Large selection of quality drop-ins available

Having now spent some time with my 6P Lego, and specifically the EDC Plus drop-in I used, I remain impressed with the combo for this application. A few observations;

1. The candela/lux of the center hot spot is plenty bright, with excellent reach. In use it seems equal to the MD3-M91T in this regard, though the M91T does have a bit more. The only light in my collection that obviously outperforms it in actual use is the Hound Dog Super.
    2. The beam pattern, though narrow compared to my other lights, is actually very useful. The small yet really well defined hot spot provides plenty of reach and blinding brightness, while the spill provides more than enough light for target identification. In use what I'm discovering is that I can illuminate an object with just the spill (within pistol fighting distances) in a way that would not be construed as confrontational, but if needed I could quickly "get in the face" of an assailant with the blinding hot spot.
    3. The 6P host has excellent knurling and feels good in the hand.
    4. This drop-in works just fine on a single 16650 Li-ion cell, with an estimated runtime of about 90 minutes

My take-away is that for a fight light, this 6P Lego is definitely good to go.

PS - I purchased a second of these drop-ins for the 3P clone Lego I'm using as a WML on my 1187. The well defined hot spot covers about 24 inches at 20 feet, which seems quite useful for potential POA purposes;

Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-19-2019 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    [*]The candela/lux of the center hot spot is plenty bright, with excellent reach. In use it seems equal to the MD3-M91T in this regard, though the M91T does have a bit more. The only light in my collection that obviously outperforms it in actual use is the Hound Dog Super.
    Damn that is saying a lot. The M91T did awesome in your 6 light shootout! 19k lux!
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 12-19-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Damn that is saying a lot. The M91T did awesome in your 6 light shootout! 19k lux!
    Compared to the 12k lux Bodyguard v.2 and the 19k lux M91T, it's much closer to the M91T. If I had to take a swag, it would be around 17,000 to 18,000 lux.

I’m a huge fan of the anodized Surefire C2, but this is too good a deal to pass up.

Another great source of drop ins, he used to build and sell them on CPF, now he has an actual website that looks like it was built in the 90s:

https://www.customlites.com/category.sc?categoryId=32

Quote Originally Posted by csheehy View Post
    Have one of the original Laser Products 6P lights since around 1988-89. It rides on the duty belt with a 120 lm drop in
    I got about 10 years ago-poss a Malkoff. Definitely interested in bumping up the output, so will check out the unit linked above....but would really like to find a clicky tailcap.

Anyone have a source? Aftermarket fine, haven’t been able to find a Z59 anywhere, including ebay.

TIA
    So, not to hijack the thread, but wanted to put in a good word for customer service at Malkoff.

I ordered a clicky tail cap for my "vintage" 6P, which arrrived promptly. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Emailed the company to set up a return and received a reply from Gene Malkoff himself.
    He arranged to have another shipped out in case the first one was defective, and he included a postage paid return slip for the first tail cap. In the meantime, I bought one of the Tactical Gear bargain 6Ps.

Second tail cap arrived, and still no joy on the original light.

BUT: both worked on the new light, which has a fractionally longer body than the 80's vintage one, so some compatibility issue with the body of the older light. So the older
    light will remain as is, and I can promise the new light will be getting a Malkoff LED real soon.

Anyway, big thanks to Mr. Malkoff and his customer service.

CJS

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    PS - I purchased a second of these drop-ins for the 3P clone Lego I'm using as a WML on my 1187. The well defined hot spot covers about 24 inches at 20 feet, which seems quite useful for potential POA purposes
    Is the 3P no longer in production? I like the idea of using one for a WML unless the 6P makes more sense?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The Surefire 3P is no more, other than finding one on ebay. Even clones are also hard to find now.

Nothing wrong with using a 6P other than the additional length.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a 3P as well as a good KeyMod mount for the 6P just in case.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Surefire Z2 Combat Light

First, a HUGE shout-out to @5280CJ for paying-forward to me a box of older Surefire lights and parts that he no longer wanted. Thank-you!

In that box was an old incandescent Surefire Z2 Combat Light in very nice condition. A variant of the 6P, the light was all original including the 60-lumen P60 incandescent light module and early-generation Z44 bezel with Lexan window. I was always intrigued with this style light from Surefire but never had a chance to check one out.

I was not a fan of the Rogers-Surefire technique as it never felt right to me, so I always resorted to the Harries technique when shooting "two-handed." A little experimentation with the Z2 was a revelation: to make the best use of the Rogers-Surefire technique one must use a light designed from the ground up for a "cigar" hold. I quickly realized how well the technique works for me with the Z2, so I did some updating to the light.

First I installed the EDC Plus LED module (560 lumens/18,000 candela) that I had been using in my 6P. I also installed a new generation Z44 bezel with glass window and black Ti-coated bezel ring.

Next, I installed a Solarforce lanyard ring and one on my DIY finger lanyards for retaining the light while using both hands for reloads, clearing malfunctions, etc.

Along with a little bit of spit and polish, here's the old Z2 after some modernization;

One of the drawbacks to the design of this light is that most light carriers designed for the straight-body 6P do not work well with it. Summoning my Google Fu, I found a source for a kydex carrier designed for the Surefire combat lights (including the older Z2) - https://www.daranichtactical.com/category_s/1856.htm. Order placed.

Thanks again to 5280CJ, this old Z2 will once again see regular use!
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 01-01-2020 at 11:52 AM.

User Tag List