Page 418 of 833 FirstFirst ... 318368408416417418419420428468518 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,180 of 8328

Thread: What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Wife and I watched Salad Days on Netflix the other night. I graduated HS in 1993 so my introduction to punk kind of started as the DC scene was breaking up, but Dischord Records, Minor Threat, and Fugazi were all instrumental in getting me into punk (even if I never was "straight edge").

Funnily enough, on that note, a lot of the folks they interviewed weren't really into "straight edge" either, nor were they into the eventual attempts to use the DC scene for a cause. Interesting to kind of feel "normal" about my opinions of all that from way back when.

Also interesting to see a kind of hatred of Ian MacKaye seething under the breath of a lot of the people interviewed. I suppose that could be either sour grapes, jealousy, or a true belief that he had too much control of who got heard and when.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Wife and I watched Salad Days on Netflix the other night. I graduated HS in 1993 so my introduction to punk kind of started as the DC scene was breaking up, but Dischord Records, Minor Threat, and Fugazi were all instrumental in getting me into punk (even if I never was "straight edge").

Funnily enough, on that note, a lot of the folks they interviewed weren't really into "straight edge" either, nor were they into the eventual attempts to use the DC scene for a cause. Interesting to kind of feel "normal" about my opinions of all that from way back when.

Also interesting to see a kind of hatred of Ian MacKaye seething under the breath of a lot of the people interviewed. I suppose that could be either sour grapes, jealousy, or a true belief that he had too much control of who got heard and when.
    I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. I was into a lot of those bands at that time (I'm 2yrs older than you based on your HS graduation date). I was never into the straight edge or even punk lifestyles, I just liked the music.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Tangentially related. I was talking to one of my employees who’s in a metal band the other day about the local scenes in here in Birmingham and Atlanta. The punk and metal crowds overlapped when I was younger and still went to shows. He told me that the regional punk/metal scene is now so “woke” that any bands who might have ever done anything that might be remotely construed as against the “movement” or are even just apolitical are having trouble finding venues and the metal/ apolitical guys are kind of doing their own thing now.

Kevin Hart: Don't Fuck This Up (Netflix) - A documentary miniseries that followed Hart for about a year, both before and after he got dumped from the Oscar hosting gig. While it doesn't attempt to be completely impartial (Hart was an executive producer), it doesn't pull many punches with regards to Hart's various screw-ups during that period. The skank in Vegas, a drunken brawl with his personal trainer, and his boneheaded handling of the tweet backlash are all addressed in pretty frank terms, and the series doesn't have an issue depicting Kevin as an ass when Kevin was being an ass.

If you're a fan of Hart, or just enjoy getting an inside look at the show business hustle, you'll probably enjoy this.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    My roomie is a fan of As the Grenade Turns (aka Seal Team). Much of it is, well, meh.

One recent thing has the protagonist seeking therapy, which he does privately and off the books. That rang true. Back in the day, seeking counseling was a "no security clearances for you" thing.

I don't imagine that's changed overly much,
    Mox nix zu mir.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    My roomie is a fan of As the Grenade Turns (aka Seal Team). Much of it is, well, meh.

One recent thing has the protagonist seeking therapy, which he does privately and off the books. That rang true. Back in the day, seeking counseling was a "no security clearances for you" thing.

I don't imagine that's changed overly much,
    I am almost embarrassed to admit I watch "Seal Team" - my evening soap opera one night per week. The action sequences are getting weaker and weaker and the "drama" gets thicker and thicker.

That's what the chaplain was for.
    Last edited by Drang; 12-29-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

As the Grenade Turns ,
    Stolen.

:-)
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 12-30-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    That's what the chaplain was for.
    "Here's a chit to see the chaplain and the key to the Weep Locker."
    Mox nix zu mir.

What was the last TV Show or Movie you saw, and did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with my fear of heights, thank you very much [emoji41]

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, having actually done some of that stuff. Honnold really is amazing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Have I got a YT video for you. Gimme a minute.

Edit - Here ya go

https://youtu.be/ZmDhRvvs5Xw
    Last edited by RJ; 12-30-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    "...As for me and my house, we will serve tacos." Fiesta 24:7

User Tag List