Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat ACP

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Damn you guys.

I just spent 45 minutes on Alchemy's website building different models.

I know right? Strongly considering a 9mm Classic Carry. They're gorgeous plus have an impeccable shooting reputation. I mean to inquire to them the reasons for the design of the Anomaly. The grip safety is the greater curiousity to me than the bobbed hammer.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The skeptical side of me wonders if this thing is really gonna be a significant, quantifiable improvement over, say, a Colt Series 70 or a Colt Classic, which is about $1,600 less...

I get the basic premise, fitted slide, Bulletproof components, probably better sights. But for all their razor-sharp edges, Colts seem to have pretty decent components and longevity.

If you've got the disposable income, the Wilson's probably a very good choice. For those of us on budgets, maybe not so much. And to immediately tout that it's a significant price decrease from the slew of $3,500+ 1911s from the semi-bespoke 1911 cottage industry, that means that one has in fact bought into the basic validity of that $3,500 pricing, which I personally haven't.\ (and yes, I've previously dipped my toe into the semi-bespoke waters personally).

I guess my bottom line is this: There are a lot of very decent offerings out there today. One needs to develop their own personal metric for what they're paying for (or willing to pay for). For me, it's just awfully hard to justify dropping more significant coin on any 1911 period when things that I already have that are significantly less expensive (HK, Glock, Beretta, other 1911s et al) perform perfectly for my venues and criteria.

If a compelling desire for obtaining a new 1911 with both high level operability and aesthetics is driving the train, I simply think there are likely better values out there.

Captain Buzzkill out.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Damn you guys.

I just spent 45 minutes on Alchemy's website building different models.
    Yeah Alchemy's guns look terrific. Hell, just go all in and order a true custom build starting at $7000.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I know right? Strongly considering a 9mm Classic Carry. They're gorgeous plus have an impeccable shooting reputation. I mean to inquire to them the reasons for the design of the Anomaly. The grip safety is the greater curiousity to me than the bobbed hammer.
    From an aesthetic/form standpoint, the Alchemy guns definitely “do it” for me. Beautiful, understated and functional.

I don't have a huge issue with the aesthetics. Overall it's another 1911 albeit with odd front strap texture.

I guess I don't see what this offers that my Dan Wesson Valor doesn't offer at a lower price. A smidge more hand sanding and the Wilson logo?

-Cory

Site Supporter
    Best part of this thread is me discovering Alchemy.

When WC came out with the XTac grip pattern I though it was just for looks. I was wrong. The XTac pattern is the best grip texture I have ever used.
    On the new ACP, I think the texture looks goofy but until I get to try it, I'll reserve judgement on it.
    If you order from a dealer v. directly from WC, it will be less than $2,500...I'll bet in the range of $2,200-2,500...still expensive, but better.
    I think the sweet spot will be if WC can come up with an offering at $1,999.
    There are folks that will not like a WC, no matter what they come up with..so be it. That's why there's more than one place you can buy a good 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    'm an old geezer. (smile)

Dave
    I don't know if I qualify as a geezer or not. I am old enough to know that I don't like the way machine checkering turns out, so CNC patterns don't do anything at all for me. That said, if it were in the DW price range, I might consider one. Having passed on pristine Supergrade for less money, I'm out.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    IMHO, the magic number to get a Wilson 5 inch, all steel 1911 in .45 and/or 9mm into the hands of new folks is 1899.00 delivered with night sights and 3 Wilson mags.
    That price is square in Dan Wesson territory and I can hardily recommend them. Dan Wesson 1911s are no Wilson Combats nor Nighthawks (and others), but they are all "real" steel (no MIM, no cast, no pot metal), unless you pick an aluminum frame, and their fit and finish is well above the Colts and Springfields.
    Bob
    1911s, M&Ps, Alien

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The Anomaly does look pretty sweet. And it's setup in a way that would work with my Cherries Deep Concealment quite well.

User Tag List