Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: H&K in trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I thought Colt sold MORE civilian AR-15's after the ban than they did before....
    Possible. They also had a manufacturing facility in the in the US already. It’s a bit different building a manufacturing facility vs already having one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Oops. Double 12% Stout post...
    Last edited by entropy; 06-29-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Which they waited 20 years after the import ban Tam cited to build and open, and longer than that until they started to sell products to U.S. civilians that were actually made there that were exempt from import bans.
    They only opened it in anticipation if the XM-8 rifle contract - and the current rifle production there is only happening because HK got the M110A1 contract. Big picture they don’t give a shit about making things for civilians.

BTW - German companies are subject to Germany’s version of ITAR which includes intellectual property and includes transferring that knowledge to their own foreign subsidiaries. Producing HK stuff in the US is not just as simple as emailing a CAD file and just making it.

Not to mention maintaining quality when moving or establishing a new factory. I’ve seen more defective Beretta 92/96 series guns out of their new plant in TN than in 30 years of Beretta shooting, including several with an agency which issued Berettas.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-29-2019 at 08:23 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I thought Colt sold MORE civilian AR-15's after the ban than they did before....
    Colt wasn't still stinging from the '89 ban...but I'm not sure they're the brand name to bring up in a thread about hilarious corporate mismanagement, disdain for the civilian marketplace, or being on the brink of death.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Likewise, one should remember that following the 94 ban, it was pretty much clear to everyone that yet more and more restrictions would follow. Setting up a US based factory for a market that would be soon banned away would be kind of risky.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not to mention maintaining quality when moving or establishing a new factory. I’ve seen more defective Beretta 92/96 series guns out of their new plant in TN than in 30 years of Beretta shooting, including several with an agency which issued Berettas.
    Agreed, I've seen some pretty poor stuff coming out of that plant.

Building stuff well is a lot more difficult than people who don't do it all day think it is.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Agreed, I've seen some pretty poor stuff coming out of that plant.

Building stuff well is a lot more difficult than people who don't do it all day think it is.
    Agreed. Bringing up a new manufacturing facility is long, hard work. And Beretta should get credit for the reason the plant in Maryland was closed and the plant in Tennessee was opened. That was a huge investment in doing the right thing.

It's funny. Back in the 90's, most of the major American companies (Colt, S&W, Ruger) were also moving towards the whole "The Civilian Market Sucks, and We Hate Them" direction.

Which makes sense. If a government is showing that it's going to regulate and ban most civilian ownership of firearms, why invest a lot of money into a plant to make civilian firearms? The gun business is a business, and wants to survive. If that means kissing up to the government to (hopefully) get contracts, so be it.

Don't forget that in 1994, Gun Culture 2.0 hadn't really begun. Shall Issue concealed Carry was just getting off the ground, and Fudds outnumbered the Timmies. The idea that the 94 Ban would be allowed to sunset, and that AR's would become the long gun of choice (with good standard cap mags being only $14 or so!) within a decade would seem hopelessly optimistic.

But, outdated memes are like any other outdated info to the gun world.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    My stout-fueled, awkward memes and attempted humor aside, I still don’t se them going anywhere anytime soon. They have always occupied a rather curious, upper end, civilian niche market heavily supplemented by government contracts. They will most likely continue to occupy that same position moving forward whether or not any restructuring or other internal adjustments play out. I view them more in the vein of a defense contractor rather than any type of civilian arms manufacturer. Or, perhaps akin to Land Rover in the automobile industry. They are a different breed. You see things like this in the aerospace industry as well. They are cyclic and one way or another, work themselves out over time either by reorganization, merger, or acquisition. I’m not stockpiling parts for any of their stuff that sits in my safe.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

My interest level in any US made HK would be zero.

User Tag List