Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Holstered SigSauer 320 Discharges

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Had a face to face conversation with our rep today. Talked about a lot of stuff, and this came up again. Unless he was told total BS, or was BSing me...the story is untrue. Video evidence to prove it. Think somebody fiddle fingering their pistol, practicing a halfway draw out of their ALS. SIG had made a lot of mistakes, but this doesn't appear to be one of them.
    Reps are generally mushrooms to the mothership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'd give it a month to wait for real information to come out before forming any strong opinions.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Regardless of the negative view most here seem to have of the Sig Sauer company, those of you entertaining the thought that a properly assembled 320-series pistol could just *go off all by itself* in a holster *with no human intervention* at all simply beggars belief.

Those of you advocating that scenario are being driven by something other than common sense.

Occam's razor says this fellow finger fumbled something.

I have no idea what happened in this case. I see three possibilities.

1) Officer was manipulating the pistol and pulled the trigger, causing the discharge.

2) A foreign object, like a set of keys or drawstring, got into the holster, pulling the trigger.

3) There is some defect with the gun, causing it to fire. This could be a design defect, a part failure, or an assembly/maintenance issue. It may or may not implicate SIG Sauer if this is the root cause.

Until there is a published report, it is impossible to say which one was the root cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    ... properly assembled 320-series pistol could just *go off all by itself* in a holster *with no human intervention* at all simply beggars belief.
    It only took a 24” drop onto a carpeted floor to fire a primed case in one of my p320s. It was scary easy to repeat. It is plausible that a bump into a corner or door jam could do it as well.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Regardless of the negative view most here seem to have of the Sig Sauer company, those of you entertaining the thought that a properly assembled 320-series pistol could just *go off all by itself* in a holster *with no human intervention* at all simply beggars belief.

Those of you advocating that scenario are being driven by something other than common sense.

In 2002, while in the police academy at range training, a co-worker fumbled a round of factory Remington 40 S&W from waist height while loading a magazine and as it fell the primer hit a rock at just the right angle to cause it to ignite and grenade the round. The chances of that actually happening have to be less than 1 in a billion (probably 1 in a trillion), but it happened and was witnessed by about 40 academy recruits plus range staff.

It could have been a defective primer. The machine seating the primer could have caused damage to it or left it raised at the factory. It could have been just chance. Remington was never able to determine the cause so we will never know.

The point? Weird stuff happens.

If this were 99% of other pistols out there, especially a TDA gun, I would be in total agreement that the chances the gun went off by itself were slim to none.

The P320 has a pre-cocked striker and has already had issues with regards to safety. Could be the gun, could be the ammo, could be a combination of both.

I say wait and see. If there is video I'm curious to see where the guy's hands were when the gun went off.
    Last edited by KevH; 05-08-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Where's our mallet man?

Did he ever test the updated SIGs?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It only took a 24” drop onto a carpeted floor to fire a primed case in one of my p320s. It was scary easy to repeat. It is plausible that a bump into a corner or door jam could do it as well.
    Was that with the pistol landing at that particular angle with the grip tang and rear of slide hitting the floor at the same time or did the gun fire from multiple angles?

As I understand it, the pre-upgrade guns fired due to the inertia of the trigger and the slide being held into battery from the angle of impact. The impact itself wasn't the problem. It was a combination of angle and impact.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Was that with the pistol landing at that particular angle with the grip tang and rear of slide hitting the floor at the same time or did the gun fire from multiple angles?

As I understand it, the pre-upgrade guns fired due to the inertia of the trigger and the slide being held into battery from the angle of impact. The impact itself wasn't the problem. It was a combination of angle and impact.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I think the main lesson learned was that there was an inherent (and known by the manufacturer) flaw in the gun's safety system/mechanisms, which leads to the follow on queries as to what else was or was not thoroughly tested in that platform, and what was the testing protocol with the individual components and the complete gun in conjunction with and after the upgrades.

I can visualize several causal factors with the incident-both mechanical and human. I too wait with interest the results of the investigation.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter

It’s likely the trigger was somehow pulled but the idea of P320s “just going off” is not exactly outside the realm of possibility.

People said the same thing the first few times the original design P320s went off when dropped, including this one which went off while holstered.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_b...kwQ243TWs/view
    Last edited by HCM; 05-08-2019 at 06:32 PM.

User Tag List