Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Countries Restricting 737 MAX Flights After Second Crash

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Look at this photo at FL430, where Indicated Airspeed is 196 knots and True Airspeed is 414 knots.
    Yes, we're all very impressed with your expensive toys and how applicable it is to a person who already said they're not a pilot.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Thanks! While I knew that air density thinned at higher altitudes, I had no idea that it changed to that extent. That makes perfect sense.
    You also introduced head/tail winds in your question, and that leads to yet a third speed used in aviation: ground speed which is the actual speed of the aircraft not relative to the air mass that surrounds it but relative to the ground itself.

Ground speed is estimated as True Air Speed + wind (positive for tail wind, negative for head winds) and conclusively deduced from navigation. It can be as rudimentary as timing your passage over two known landmarks along a fixed course (not fixed heading, two different things) or as sophisticated as getting it from your GPS.

If the wind isn't exactly on your nose or tail, some trig needs to happen to calculate the wind vector that is on your nose/tail.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-14-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yes, we're all very impressed with your expensive toys and how applicable it is to a person who already said they're not a pilot.
    Calm down Francis! Besides, I couldn't find the TAS indication in that sweet sweet picture. FL430 is no joke. That is the service ceiling for a lot of heavies.

An easy way to remember airspeeds is ICE-T. Indicated, Calibrated, Equivalent, and True. Since we are on the topic of how pilots can remember stuff, can anyone tell me what VD-MONA stands for?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Calm down Francis! Besides, I couldn't find the TAS indication in that sweet sweet picture. FL430 is no joke. That is the service ceiling for a lot of heavies.

An easy way to remember airspeeds is ICE-T. Indicated, Calibrated, Equivalent, and True. Since we are on the topic of how pilots can remember stuff, can anyone tell me what VD-MONA stands for?

True virgins make dull company.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

Hope this answers some questions and partially repays the debt I owe to this board for any number fantastic threads of really cool gun info!
    Man, I feel the same way.

Just to expound on some things we have touched on in this thread. We don't use the term torque to explain the affect of thrust on pitch attitude, we call them pitching moments. Low slung engines have a positive pitching moment on thrust application.

I wrote a whole long post last night on Sioux City 1989, NASAs Propulsion Controlled Aircraft (PCA) program, and even the DHL Airbus incident in 2003. I shit canned the post but that is an interesting conversation on its own.

Boeing (I do not speak or work for them) believes in reversible control systems. I agree with the philosophy. Its old school in the sense that the new fly-by-wire systems will act like they have control cables attached to the yoke. That means when Mr Autopilot is flying the aircraft you will see the yoke move along with the surface commands. It lets you see what the hell the computer is doing. Same with the auto-throttles. PS – Boeing will never call you a retard. Just sayin…

Lots of great information on stalls from our pilot cadre. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of recovering from the stall with the wings level before you pull. If you start rolling and pulling, even keeping below 2.5 Nz (not sure you have a G meter in your birds anyhow), you can overload the empennage in twist. I am talking big commercial airliners and not bug smashers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I really don't want to lock this thread, so I'd personally appreciate it if people could avoid sniping at each other just because they have some sort of "beef".

But, I suppose the internet gonna internet and I'm tilting at windmills.
    Sorry for fucking the shovels!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Here’s a somewhat “non-nerd” version of what is going on with the MAX.

https://leehamnews.com/2018/11/14/bo...to-the-pilots/

Every design has shortcomings IMHO. The Airbus has the issues of the thrust levers not moving as engine thrust changes. (They have detents for takeoff, climb and cruise thrust.)You move them to the desired detent (aka limit) and the magic does the rest. This lack of tactile feedback, (where the thrust levers move beneath your hand as your hand rests on them) while seemingly not a big deal to design engineers, is quite important to the guy flying it in gusty conditions on an approach. You use that movement of the thrust levers as another input to your caveman brain as to what the airplane is doing. The second flaw is the fact that the captains and copilots side sticks are not linked together. In most airliners (and airplanes in general) the controls are linked and move in unison. This lack of common movement was a huge contributing factor in AF447 as well as a few other Airbus incidents. Again, to the guy with the thick glasses and the pocket protector (no offense to anyone) this does not seem like a big deal. To the guys that were in a stall at FL370 trying to figure out what the hell was going on...well it cost them and the passengers their lives.

For the record, my personal best is 5 “retards” on a landing. As I was originally told, the first time it’s a verb...the rest are nouns.
    Last edited by entropy; 03-14-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Here’s a somewhat “non-nerd” version of what is going on with the MAX.

https://leehamnews.com/2018/11/14/bo...to-the-pilots/

Every design has shortcomings IMHO.
    If we are to look at the true root cause of things, it’s a certain airline that’s named for the compass direction between South and West.

How so? The fact is the Boeing 737 is a half century old. It’s a wildly successful aircraft which is ,nonetheless, well past its sell by date as a design. I’m certain Boeing would have gone with a clean sheet airplane a long time ago...were it not for the insistence of certain airlines that Boeing keep the 737 in the same configuration it’s always been- this, to avoid changing type rating and thus increasing airline training costs.

So we see them adding engines and design systems to an airplane planned during the Lyndon Johnson administration. Is it any wonder we are seeing ergonomic and flight control issues? It’s an aeronautical manifestation of a frequent computer science problem - literally , the 737 Max is flying “scope creep”.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 03-14-2019 at 02:27 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Bingo.

You win a small bag if pretzels and a transcon middle seat.
    Last edited by entropy; 03-14-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post

Probably shouldn’t ruin his fun by letting him know that it is a company plane that earns its keep moving people.

Everyone thinks jet flying is hard, but all you do is sit and watch the auto pilot fly the plane while watching TAS, GS, time to destination, and fuel at destination.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List