Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Plus 1. Yes or no? Why or why not....

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    All the time when I administratively load in practice, training, competition and carry.
    Why not?
    It's a freebie and in some guns it's a significant capacity upgrade percentage wise.
    If a pistol won't run topped off +1 it'd get sold off in a heartbeat.
    +1. I've owned about 20 handguns, all would run with +1, if any had a problem with it I'm not interested in owning them. For me in 2019 it's a basic expected feature of magazine/pistol design.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You lost me there. How does having a full mag cause a shooter induced malfunction?
    The #1 pistol malfunction (aside from shooting the gun dry) in actual use (not so much on the Range) is an unseated magazine. Regardless of how or why a magazine release might be inadvertently pressed (a misapplied grip, an attempted gun-grab, hurried load/reload, etc) the downward pressure is exponential in a fully loaded magazine vs a downloaded one. Lessening that tension by downloading the magazine mitigates that problem.

A secondary benefit of downloading is spring reliability. A spring that's never been fully compressed will never take a set (shorten) as much one that has been under full compression. Incidents of "last round in the magazine" failures were disproportionate with my officers who didn't download versus those that downloaded as a matter of routine. We all know that spring replacement should be a preventative maintenance issue, but in the real world that fact is fairly irrelevant if happens to you at the wrong time.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 02-20-2019 at 07:08 PM.
    The only thing worse than arrogance is false humility.

Yes, plus one. Especially with my 92 Compact, which is old school mag design and still has built in round limiters. Can’t wait for the MecGar 15s.

Yes. Same reasons as others.

Always plus 1 never had a failure in my glocks, 1911s, or my pocket keltec. Thousands upon thousands of rounds over the past 30 years

Has anyone actually had or seen a failure directly attributed to carrying plus 1 not because of a faulty mag or hitting the mag release or are you just going by what was read or heard second hand? Asking for a friend.
    Last edited by eb07; 02-20-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    Yep. No good reason not to, and I've tested my carry gun lots of times loaded that way.

I may not be following this but when y’all say “plus 1” do you mean “a full magazine plus one in the chamber”?

If so, I’m not seeing why you wouldn’t?

When I carry my 19.5 it is 15 and one. My 26.5 is 12 in a Glock factory +2 magazine and one.

About once every month or two I shoot them exactly in this configuration. 0 malfunctions.

I’m kind of scratching my head as to why I’d give up a round. I believe the people at Glock know more than I do. And mine seem to 100% work that way.

Site Supporter
    Yes but only after tested. For example the vickers +2 extension for the G43 was not reliable loaded in 8+1 in my gun. It worked fine in 7+1. Standard factory glock mags are used +1.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    A secondary benefit of downloading is spring reliability. A spring that's never been fully compressed will never take a set (shorten) as much one that has been under full compression.
    First off, your "rule" is not as simple as what you make it. It all depends on the ratio of torsional stress to tensile strength of the spring's material when at closed length (meaning the spring is blocked solid with all coils touching each other). Since none of us know that design parameter for typical magazine sprints, I don't know how you came up with that "rule".

On top of that, are you sure that every single magazine spring is at closed length when the magazine is full? I don't think so.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Glock 43, yes. Even with +2 extensions.

Glock 19 or 17, no.

I have no reasoning for this, that’s just what I do.

User Tag List