Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where I almost put my eye out

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Serious question - what is wrong with Ruger wheelguns? Besides the factory trigger...

It is similar to arguing AR vs AK. Comparing competing models, Rugers have a stronger frame but the S&Ws are lighter and have rounded edges. Pre-MIM S&Ws did have a better fit and finish, but not so much with newer models. S&Ws get a lot more support in the way of accessories as there are just more of them. Rugers have a lower retail price but S&Ws tend to do better at holding their resale. S&Ws have a longer history of use with law enforcement and military and are more widely used for competition. One other argument, which has nothing to do with the guns themseves, is from a political POV, that Bill Ruger, Sr. "screwed over" the shooting community re. the AWB but then S&W while owned by a UK interest "sold out" to the Clinton administration. However, Bill Ruger, Sr. is dead and S&W is no longer owned by Tompkins PLC.

PS - you are slightly less likely to poke your eye out while working on a S&W trigger but may need more specialized tools to do so.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 07-04-2012 at 06:09 AM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I have two close friends who've launched guide rods through computer monitors and one who took out his big screen tv with something from a rifle he was working on. eyeglasses and bullet proof surroundings are a good idea when working on guns.

tip for finding those springs and bits when they disappear, rare earth magnets stuck onto your vacuum nozzle.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I put small spring loaded stuff together inside a gallon zip-lock bag now.)
    I was doing that once, I think it was with an AR pivot pin detent, when the part launched, ricocheted off the inside of the bag, came out of the bag, past my head, and landed somewhere out in the room behind me. Thanks, bag. Big help you were.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post
    I was doing that once, I think it was with an AR pivot pin detent, when the part launched, ricocheted off the inside of the bag, came out of the bag, past my head, and landed somewhere out in the room behind me. Thanks, bag. Big help you were.
    I like the disassembly box Xavier uses here. Someday, when I get organized, I'm going to have a setup like that.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I love that the flying spring was immediately preceded by "Actually, I just had the best idea..."

American Revolver guideline from a non-biased source:
    1. Smith & Wesson: Best for custom action tuning. Modern ones are full of MIM in places I don't want MIM.
    2. Ruger: Generally built like a tank. Tend to develop absurd amounts of endshake when shot a lot. Makes a good boat anchor.
    3. Colt: f*** you S&W, our cylinder rotates in the different direction and...oh s*** the gun's timing is off again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Nothing, really. At least for me, it's just a Ford/Chevy thing (and something to tease Caleb about.)

The differences among the three major American manufacturers of double action revolvers are minor and often completely subjective. (For instance, Rugers are generally stronger and concomitantly bigger.)
    Ford/Chevy I can understand ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    I love that the flying spring was immediately preceded by "Actually, I just had the best idea..."
    I was definitely tempting fate with that one.

Great video Caleb! It's like watching myself gunsmith. You so brought back a memory of disassembling my XD a couple years ago!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    It takes a big man (well, not talking about being tall) to shoot a Ruger.

It takes an even bigger man (again, not talking about being tall here) to admit to making an error or two.

What impresses me the most, besides your imposing mass, is that you are willing to air it out for others to hopefully learn from the lessons you learned.

If I had a camera, and bothered to record my home gunsmithing fiasco's, none would be playable here due to the language/content restrictions. Lots and lots of gratuitous profanity. Throwing tools. Like a 2 year olds tantrum. Pretty much any time I break any gun down beyond a field strip. That, and lot's of looking up YouTube videos of how to get them back together.

I'll admit that I tuned right into the moment of facial expression infamy, and had a good chuckle at your expense.

Thanks for sharing, and curing my urge to ever film my workshop disasters
    Are we the same person? I do the same other than profanity. After a couple of really solid tries, if I can't make a part fit... I go defeated up to the gunsmith. Some projects though, these days... I just look at, open it up, start watching a youtube video and say "...I'm good." and take it to the gunsmith.

ETA: As a side note, the video was good, thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by BWT; 07-04-2012 at 09:41 AM.

User Tag List