Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EDC X9 versus GLOCK 19 Size comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm pretty satisfied with my Glock Gen 3 G19 (and other Glocks, HKs and Beretta). After having gone the semi-custom/custom pistol route with a Nighthawk Custom Talon II, I'll probably never go that route again for strictly operational needs-the juice simply doesn't warrant the squeeze in my opinion.

That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting, acquiring, and using a bespoke pistol-but in most cases, I doubt that objective operational criteria has very, very little to to with the acquisition. To me the "shark was jumped" with the $3,000+ Vickers and Hackathorn Wilson "Special Edition" 1911s. Again, not that they're bad pistols in the least, but I think that they represent more of a triumph of style over substance, which would seem antithetical to what those two individuals in particular have espoused in the past....

I understand the desire to make money, and to capitalize on experience. But it's very, very hard for me to objectively justify acquisition of a tool when one of comparable performance in all criteria areas is priced several magnitudes lower. And that's even before having to run it up the Wifely Review Board flagpole...

Best, Jon
    As a carry piece, in my personal opinion the EDC X9 is a vast improvement over the 1911 or even 2011. I’m not sure these are exactly mass produced, but don’t see them being much of a custom in any regards.

I’ve bought a few 1911 / 2011s as a potentially carry (Kobra Carry, ECO, STI VIP), none ever stuck. This is a different animal IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    As a carry piece, in my personal opinion the EDC X9 is a vast improvement over the 1911 or even 2011. I’m not sure these are exactly mass produced, but don’t see them being much of a custom in any regards.

I’ve bought a few 1911 / 2011s as a potentially carry (Kobra Carry, ECO, STI VIP), none ever stuck. This is a different animal IMO.
    I wouldn't disagree with it being an improvement, or successful evolution regarding the 1911. What I question is it's comparative value over contemporary pistols such as Glocks and HKs, especially given the initial buy-in price. The delta between $2,895 and $500-$800 is pretty significant, and could cover some pretty significant training, ammunition and competition needs.....

I understand the intrinsic value of the Wilson, and how it also encapsulates R&D and manufacturing start-up costs (that should eventually amortize down over time, particularly given successful sales; but I haven't exactly seen a pattern of Wilson, NHC, Ed Brown, et al reducing prices...HK, on the other hand, has for several of their model lines recently).

Again, for most, I suspect that when you rigorously apply objective standards for use, performance, reliability and durability to the Wilson (and/or similar) pistols to, say, Glocks or HKs, if you indeed choose the Wilson it has an awful lot to do with appreciation and aesthetics over actual discernible and quantifiable operational superiority.

Yeah I know...call me Captain Buzzkill....

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    I’m trying to balance the “quantity is quality “ vs “ fewer guns traded for better guns” . I need to find one to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I’m trying to balance the “quantity is quality “ vs “ fewer guns traded for better guns” . I need to find one to shoot.
    And I thought you were pretty pleased with your Beretta 92Ds.....You going fickle on us?!

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with it being an improvement, or successful evolution regarding the 1911. What I question is it's comparative value over contemporary pistols such as Glocks and HKs, especially given the initial buy-in price. The delta between $2,895 and $500-$800 is pretty significant, and could cover some pretty significant training, ammunition and competition needs.....

I understand the intrinsic value of the Wilson, and how it also encapsulates R&D and manufacturing start-up costs (that should eventually amortize down over time, particularly given successful sales; but I haven't exactly seen a pattern of Wilson, NHC, Ed Brown, et al reducing prices...HK, on the other hand, has for several of their model lines recently).

Again, for most, I suspect that when you rigorously apply objective standards for use, performance, reliability and durability to the Wilson (and/or similar) pistols to, say, Glocks or HKs, if you indeed choose the Wilson it has an awful lot to do with appreciation and aesthetics over actual discernible and quantifiable operational superiority.

Yeah I know...call me Captain Buzzkill....

Best, Jon
    Not a buzz kill at all. I remember a time when buying a Glock was a struggle for me, and I will never forget those days, and I respect it.

My point was if one were inclined and able to spend the coin, don’t let a bad 1911 experience influence the decision.

Site Supporter
    My grandfather taught me the only thing better than “one” was “two”. I do like my berettas; enough that I should sell my S&W 686 with a 2.5 barrel and get a beretta 92LTT. Or trade them all for X9?
    Last edited by Poconnor; 10-03-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    My grandfather taught me the only thing better than “one” was “two”. I do like my berettas; enough that I should sell my S&W 686 with a 2.5 barrel and get a beretta 92LTT. Or trade them all for X9?
    I can see the merits in selling the 2.5" Smiff for the LTT Beretta. Not so much in selling everything for for the Wilson X9; I'd be very, very wary about going down that (or any other 1911-centric) rabbit-hole.

But now Dagga Boy will probably come around and castigate me for recommending selling your Smith...

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    It’s a more recent mim S&W so not a huge loss. It does not have the Hillary hole. I originally bought it with the intention of swapping the barrel for a 686 mountain barrel.
    Last edited by Poconnor; 10-04-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Had a chance to shoot the Wilson EDC X9 today. Man what a fantastic gun. Trigger was outstanding, and the grip felt perfect for my hand. While it clearly is thicker than the glock, it doesn't feel that big at all which is pretty surprising. The pics clearly show a thicker grip, and I held it up to my 19 and it was clearly bigger but certainly didn't feel that way. My 229 legion for example is thicker and definitely feels that way but the X9 feel absolutely perfect, and the aggressiveness was just right. Very impressed with the gun. The X9 handles recoil like a champ, could go nuts on the trigger and it would pretty much stay on target. Wish I could have shot at some distance but wasn't able to today. Excellent pistol.

The EDC X9 is on my want list but I can’t justify spending that much money on a pistol yet. If I suddenly come into a bunch of unexpected money (c’mon Powerball!) I’ll definitely be picking one up. Until then, I’ll just keep lusting after it.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List