Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI 5 days in Chicago- what do I have to see?

Site Supporter

RFI 5 days in Chicago- what do I have to see?

Title says it all. Also as a foodie looking for iconic places to eat. If Charlie Trotter were still cooking, I would eat there regardless of the cost. Wife balked at a 3 Michelin Star restaurant when she heard $300a person without a wine pairing ($450 with). Big fan of the taste of the place. Big dinosaur geek, so thinking of the Field Museum to see Sue again.

Thanks in advance,

pat

I've been to two of Stephanie Izard's restaurants (Little Goat Diner and Girl and the Goat) and both are very good. Au Cheval is on the same street and supposedly has the best burger in the world, but the wait is retarded long.

The Bristol in the bucktown neighborhood is great. Went there for a wedding dinner celebration.
    Do-Rite Donuts & Chicken is good.
    Portillo's is touristy I guess but iconic and I had a solid dog and chocolate malt there.
    Pequod's Pizza is good if you like the thick crust with the charred cheese fried into the crust. I thought it was awesome.
    Last edited by shootist26; 06-29-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Obviously, got to hit Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue. The various museums about are mostly worth the trip.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Title says it all. Also as a foodie looking for iconic places to eat. If Charlie Trotter were still cooking, I would eat there regardless of the cost. Wife balked at a 3 Michelin Star restaurant when she heard $300a person without a wine pairing ($450 with). Big fan of the taste of the place. Big dinosaur geek, so thinking of the Field Museum to see Sue again.

Thanks in advance,

pat
    Chicago has a real 1:1 scale Nazi era U boat in the Science and Industry Musuem. No one should leave Chicago without checking it out. The Sears Tower also has a leaning observation deck ...if you’re feeling risky.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    I recommend the pizza pot pies at:

http://chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/

Last time I was there was March of 2017 and they were still cash only at that time.

ETA: I was going to visit Sue last month, but she is off display until Spring of 2019:

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/blog/sue-t-rex
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 06-29-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Yup. Taste of the place.
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-29-2018 at 08:10 PM.

It's been a long time. Is there any place as good as Hot Doug's was?

Field Museum (we currently have an exhibit on Antarctic dinosaurs that's brand new, and the Cyrus Tang Hall of China should be visited).
    Museum of Science and Industry ("Science behind Pixar" is the current exhibit)
    Chicago Architectural Foundation River Tour
    Chicago Art Institute

Each of the museums requires a full day to see in its entirety.

Michelin Bib Gourmand List: https://chicago.eater.com/maps/miche...rdable-quality

Sapori Trattoria on North Halstead/Boys Town is my standard haunt for amazing Italian
    Pequod's Pizza on North Clybourn for deep dish
    Ming Hin and/or Lao Szechuan in Chinatown - If you go to Lao - the Chef's Dry Chili Beef, if you go to Ming the Mao-Po Tofu are amazing (the restaurants are right next to each in Chinatown, so just go down and pick which ever doesn't have a wait).
    Arami in West Town for sushi

ETA: On the Bib Gourmand list - SKIP -

The Angry Crab (3), Chilam Balam (11), Lula Cafe (19), Cumin (26) - All of them either have mediocre service (Chilam and Cumin) or mediocre food (Angry Crab and Lula) - Just skip 'em.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-29-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    I recommend the pizza pot pies at:

http://chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/

Last time I was there was March of 2017 and they were still cash only at that time.

ETA: I was going to visit Sue last month, but she is off display until Spring of 2019:

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/blog/sue-t-rex
    Second the notion of Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder. I have been eating there for twenty years when on business trips. Great food.

User Tag List