Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: CBD oil

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    But is it not a Schedule 1 drug?
    Apparently for a little over a year now. Making the fact that some companies deliver to PA via USPS all the more strange.

As far as the FDA goes I question the value of dealing with them for lots of stuff. Not to get all tinfoil hat and such but it's easier to manufacture something far more exotic and use a network of doctors. Some dude in California can't make :insertdrughere: but they sure can do CBD and other stuff.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    CBD is a catch-all term to refer to cannabidiols, a class of chemicals found in the cannabis plant that are extracted at higher temperatures than THC, the compound that is thought to be responsible for the plant's psychoactive effects.

Here in CO as part of the laws surrounding the sale of recreational cannabis, companies have to use mass spec (GC-MS/MS) to identify the % weight/weight of THC, THC-A, and CBD in their products. While lots of pot shops will attribute particular properties to THC vs CBD (i.e. CBD gives you the "body high" and THC gives you the "head high") in reality we don't have a very good scientifically-validated understanding of how these chemicals work.

That said, it does appear that a lot of these properties associated with CBD vs THC, as crude as the distinction may be, are probably correct. Out of curiosity I tried a CBD-only tablet once and I basically fell asleep. Woke up feeling groggy but not worse than the hangover I usually get from Benadryl or other over the counter sleep aids. I definitely don't recall feeling stoned. Furthermore, we do have a lot of evidence here in CO that these substances are largely safe (impaired driving notwithstanding), particularly when they are ingested orally (edibles, etc) or vaporized (vs. smoking), but this is a rapidly evolving field of study so don't be surprised if this consensus changes over time.

In sum, it's probably safer for you than a lot of medications that we prescribe for anxiety or pain (i.e. benzodiazapines or opiates), but it remains to be seen what the effects of chronic THC and/or CBD use will be over time. While not as life-threatening as alcohol or other substance abuse disorders, THC use can beget dependency and no chronic substance abuse is fully benign. YMMV. Not a doctor yet, and certainly am not yours, so don't take this to represent professional medical opinion/advice.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

My wife is an epileptic and she knows several epileptics in her support group that it has worked for...particularly children. Not everyone benefits from it, but I'm not sure what else needs to be said about someone who had 10 seizures a day that is now down to 1 per month after starting CBD. Regardless of whether you think it's snake oil, it works for some people. She would then become part of the data set in future studies (data doesn't appear out of thin air, afterall......it has to be generated over time, and if people refuse new treatments because "blah! snake oil! limited studies!" then that's a pretty good way to fuck up evolution and innovation).

If my wife ever becomes uncontrollable, she's getting CBD way before she gets a lobectomy or a VNS implant....her only heavily studied, regulated options.
    To me the anti-convulsant properties of the cannabis plant are some of the most fascinating as we (read: my current knowledge of the topic) don't have the slightest idea how this works or why it is particularly efficacious in some forms of juvenile epilepsy. To be fair we don't even fully understand the mechanisms of a lot of classic anticonvulsants/anaesthetics, too, so this should come as no surprise.

I am always in favor of the unbiased pursuit of knowledge and the endocannabinoid system (i.e. the parts of your nervous system that marijuana works on to produce its many effects) is deeply poorly understood. Just like the endogenous opiate receptors in our bodies, further research of the endocannabinoid system can be only beneficial and has the potential to yield non-psychoactive drugs that may bring relief to a lot of patients suffering from a variety of disorders. No matter where you stand on pot, the argument for more research into the pharmacology of marijuana and derivative compounds is highly persuasive in my eyes.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 04-06-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Making the fact that some companies deliver to PA via USPS all the more strange...
    I believe, and I could be wrong, that the reason USPS is preferred is due to 4th Amendment laws. UPS, FedEx, etc. are all private companies and not bound to the same restrictions.

I ordered CBD from 4 Corners to try it out for my old man arthritis, BJJ aches, and joint pains.

I'm very interested in this as I have a friend that is fighting colon cancer and going downhill fast. The doctors have tried 3 types of chemo to no avail and basically said there is nothing else they can do. He has not been very interested in "natural" treatments but I might give him some info on CBD oil.

Is hemp oil similar to CBD oil?

Found some interesting stuff here:
    https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...pdq#section/_1
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

In sum, it's probably safer for you than a lot of medications that we prescribe for anxiety or pain (i.e. benzodiazapines or opiates), but it remains to be seen what the effects of chronic THC and/or CBD use will be over time.
    Thanks for weighing in and agree about the danger of anxiety meds.

A close family member has been struggling with anxiety and panic attacks for around 18 months. Long story short, the prescribed meds were doing far more harm than good. Suicidal thoughts were the last straw and all RX meds were stopped. CBD oil was tried but no real positive noticed. Diet, exercise, and meditation ultimately were the best solution.

Curiously a lot of the anxiety issues seem to be closely related to chronic GI issues. GI docs are worthless and do nothing more than spend $10,000 looking for cancer.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Thanks for weighing in and agree about the danger of anxiety meds.

A close family member has been struggling with anxiety and panic attacks for around 18 months. Long story short, the prescribed meds were doing far more harm than good. Suicidal thoughts were the last straw and all RX meds were stopped. CBD oil was tried but no real positive noticed. Diet, exercise, and meditation ultimately were the best solution.

Curiously a lot of the anxiety issues seem to be closely related to chronic GI issues. GI docs are worthless and do nothing more than spend $10,000 looking for cancer.
    A lot of people get into serious trouble when they start taking benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax, Ativan, etc) on a regular basis for anxiety. They cause serious issues of physical dependency and weaning off of them can take years. As you mention, addressing lifestyle/environmental factors can go a lot longer than medication in relieving chronic anxiety, as can other medications that have substantially lower potential for dependency (SSRIs, for example).

GI does make a lot of money doing scopes, but there is a huge pool of patients out there with chronic idiopathic GI issues that are refractory to medical therapy. They also suffer from a bad reputation among patients because unlike surgeons, who "fix the problem", GI docs can spend years trying to help someone with a mystery GI disorder and make little headway because, well, they aren't magicians. They do, however, charge an insane amount of money to put a camera in either end of your alimentary canal...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 04-07-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    After watching friends and family suffer with pain and injuries for years and to be told by doctors that they can’t fix your injuries it is wrong to ignore this just because it came from marijuana. I don’t know if it works but I have friends that swear it works and mess they created with the opioids they need to do the research now

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    A lot of people get into serious trouble when they start taking benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax, Ativan, etc) on a regular basis for anxiety. They cause serious issues of physical dependency and weaning off of them can take years. As you mention, addressing lifestyle/environmental factors can go a lot longer than medication in relieving chronic anxiety, as can other medications that have substantially lower potential for dependency (SSRIs, for example).

GI does make a lot of money doing scopes, but there is a huge pool of patients out there with chronic idiopathic GI issues that are refractory to medical therapy. They also suffer from a bad reputation among patients because unlike surgeons, who "fix the problem", GI docs can spend years trying to help someone with a mystery GI disorder and make little headway because, well, they aren't magicians. They do, however, charge an insane amount of money to put a camera in either end of your alimentary canal...
    Just to clarify, SSRIs were the drugs which the patient had a negative reaction to. I realize they are considered the "safe" option, but in this case the frequency and severity of panic attacks gradually increased while taking an SSRI, and ultimately thoughts of suicide started to scare the patient who had no prior history there. Docs suggested going to a benzo, patient and family decided to discontinue everything. Coming off the SSRI was incredibly difficult with wild mood swings and even more intense panic attacks. After ~3 weeks the panic attacks were completely gone and the anxiety had subsided to a difficult but manageable level. This was very similar experience to a co-worker, minus the suicidal thoughts.

I realize it's anecdotal, but in my limited exposure friends/family have had far more serious reactions to SSRIs than most docs seem to think is "normal". Some research turned up a class action lawsuit alleging that early clinical trials miscategorized suicidal behavior making it appear far more rare than it really is.

I wouldn't be surprised that CBD, and other alternative medicines, aren't effective for everyone.

But there's no doubt that many of the drugs that are being commonly prescribed can have nasty side effects, are highly addictive and/or require you to be on them for the rest of your life. I recognize their application for acute, and even some chronic management, but feel they are over prescribed.

here is also a fair amount of evidence that restrictive diets and improved gut health can go a long way to improve an awful lot of conditions. For instance Dom D'Agistino's work with the Ketogenic Diet and epilepsy.

If faced with any chronic condition, I would be highly motivated to find any alternative, including diet & exercise, chiropractics and massage therapy, counseling and support groups, and alternative medicines like CBD, before going on a long term prescription drug.
    David S.

User Tag List