Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip shape/size vs POI

Though grip shape and size will have an effect and all of the ideas offered above are very good... The direction (or straight line) in which the trigger is pulled will pull the shot off or keep it on.
    If she is first aligning the sights, then POA is there. POI will vary during trigger pull and locktime. Though grip will compensate, it could be a great opportunity to practice the direction and follow through of the trigger pull. With that controlled- grip, support hand and all the other factors will only edify the result. With a controlled, straight trigger pull you have more versatility if a bad grip or slipping occurs on a panic or quick draw.

Addition note: my wife put Talon grips on her Compact and that helped hold the pistol still within her grip during trigger pull. I compress my grip front to back with the shooting hand. Some people compress more on the sides. The PX4 side grip is slicker. That's why I don't use Talon grips, but others that do, like them.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 03-22-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    She is right handed.

My two personal issues leading to right shot displacement for a right handed shooter is a) grip too large b) excessive pressure from support hand. A:B is about 9:1 chances. Large grip causes me to place too much of my hand at a side of a grip as opposed to behind it, and I end up hooking a trigger instead of pulling straight back. My solution are smaller grip and meticulous attention to placing strong hand so it is not all on the side panel. Good luck.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Six inches at ten yards won’t be fixed with grip inserts. Sounds like you are more excited about the platform switch than she is.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Six inches at ten yards won’t be fixed with grip inserts. Sounds like you are more excited about the platform switch than she is.
    So far you are right. But maybe w/ some experimentation.....

She has tried it 3 times now and always ends up w/ POI about 5-6 inches to the right at 30 feet. If she really concentrates she can start to make hits but is naturally reluctant to carry it.
    Gonna go against the crowd here and say that it might be the sights. You say POI is off but are her groups tight?

Beyond the question of sight regulation (which I assume you have verified somehow), in my experience different eyes can produce slightly perceptions of what a good sight picture looks like. Differences in front sight width, amount of white space in the rear sight notch, and/or distracting sight markings (3-dots are my downfall) can all expose small differences in sight picture assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by ExMachina View Post
    Gonna go against the crowd here and say that it might be the sights. You say POI is off but are her groups tight?

Beyond the question of sight regulation (which I assume you have verified somehow), in my experience different eyes can produce slightly perceptions of what a good sight picture looks like. Differences in front sight width, amount of white space in the rear sight notch, and/or distracting sight markings (3-dots are my downfall) can all expose small differences in sight picture assessment.
    Wish it were that easy. I shoot the gun fine. We both shoot our other guns fine. But she goes off to the right just w/ this gun. So it's not alignment. Now you may have something there on the type of sight picture. i will look into that although it's a simple 3 white dots like most of our others.

Wish it were that easy. I shoot the gun fine. We both shoot our other guns fine. But she goes off to the right just w/ this gun. So it's not alignment. Now you may have something there on the type of sight picture. i will look into that although it's a simple 3 white dots like most of our others.
    And not that you asked, but I became most aware of the effect a shooter's eyes can have on sight alignment when I began experimenting with U-notch rear sights about 5 years ago. In theory, it seemed that a U notch should allow for better front sight centering as the curved bottom makes it much easier to gauge when the front sight is even slightly off center. To illustrate this to myself, I made a figure (below) where I have either centered the front blade perfectly (top row) or have slightly off-set the front sight to the right (bottom row). Though it might be hard to believe, the front sight is off-center by the same number of pixels in both sight pictures, but the U-notch makes it far easier to detect this slight misalignment.

When I finally put the theory to practice and installed a 10-8 U-notch on my 1911, the positive effects on my shooting were immediate and profound. Instantly, I had noticeably less difficulty shooting decent 5 yard groups off hand, and my closer in groups tightened up substantially.

Anyway, not saying this is for you. Just noting that minor sight alignment issues can potentially result in performance drops depending on the sights in question.

Name:  UnotchRear.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  29.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ExMachina View Post
    When I finally put the theory to practice and installed a 10-8 U-notch on my 1911, the positive effects on my shooting were immediate and profound. Instantly, I had noticeably less difficulty shooting decent 5 yard groups off hand, and my closer in groups tightened up substantially.
    Interesting, that runs counter to this Cooper quote.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    It appears that Mr. Cooper actually made his thoughts known on the matter. On page 103 his 1961 "The Complete Book of Modern Handgunning" he wrote, "A 'U' notch rear suffers because the light on each side of the front sight is less measurable, being curved and pointed."

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Interesting, that runs counter to this Cooper quote.
    That's fine by me--Cooper certainly wasn't infallible.

Experiment, investigate and decide for yourself

Sights don’t have much to do with five yard groups.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List