Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Carry guns vs. critters

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    Last Friday I looked across the pasture to see this pig. She was unconcerned with my presence and I drove to about 20 yards away from the pig. When the pig changed direction I was able to put a 148gr target wadcutter from an old cobra close to the ear hole. One less pig damaging the land.

Attachment 23910
    That one small enough to eat?

ETA: That is an old school cool revolver.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 02-20-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That one small enough to eat?

ETA: That is an old school cool revolver.
    About 18 inches tall around 30 or 40 pounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    About 18 inches tall around 30 or 40 pounds.

I'm reasonably certain that's the potbellied variety ..... either turned loose or got loose.
    The only thing worse than arrogance is false humility.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that's the potbellied variety ..... either turned loose or got loose.
    Yeah, the first feral potbelly pig I’ve seen but not the first seen by others.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    This Angry little bastard actually came after me. It is hard to see but the final shot was right in the top of his head. I was walking backwards (quickly) shooting and cussing at the same time. He literally was stopped about 2-3 feet from my feet.

Badgers have seriously bad attitudes.

They are like the ex-wives of the animal world.

Agreed. They give me the willies. I’ve had one come at me as well, but I was watching it over the sights of a 24" winnie 61 pump.

Tangential, but back in my misguided youth, I used to travel to a reasonably remote N Idaho shooting hole to bounce tennis balls and cans around with my then-only handgun, a 6" blued Ruger GP100 (carried in a nylon uncle Mike’s shoulder rig...like I say, misguided). Time came when I was getting around to setting out the tennis balls, and a chipmunk hopped up on a log in front of me. I let it have one from the Ruger’s carry load—which was, at the time, Remington's version of the full on 125gr sjhp. Holy shit.

Site Supporter
    The last critter I shot with a carry handgun was a possum dispensed with a 357 Sig jhp. Big mess. He wasn't bothering me, and I should have left him alone. I plan to restrict live crittertargets to coyotes and hogs plus any venomous snake that I see in places that I frequent.

Site Supporter
    I didn't get a picture, but a 124 grain +P Gold Dot will blow straight through an armadillo. The shot was from ~10 yards and through the chest. I definitely got both lungs and maybe the heart. The exit hole was more visible than the entry hole, but it certainly wasn't a dramatic exit wound. I was shooting my Glock 43. To the best of my memory this is the first animal I've ever killed with a pistol (not counting a couple of finishing shots on downed deer).

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I've shot a bunch of stuff with various carry guns. Cottontail and jack rabbits, prairie dogs, deer, coyotes. I've got very few pics though.

I'm not a fan of shooting possums unless I absolutely have to. It's a myth that they carry rabies, and since they are immune to things like Lyme disease and groom themselves like cats and eat the ticks, they statistically lower the prevalence of ticks and tick borne diseases in any area where they are left alone. Yes, I know they can be an issue with horse feed, I get it, but I know people who randomly kill every possum they see, and that's fucking retarded.

Doe I took with my S&W 681;

Name:  DeadDoe.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  62.3 KB
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've shot a bunch of stuff with various carry guns. Cottontail and jack rabbits, prairie dogs, deer, coyotes. I've got very few pics though.

I'm not a fan of shooting possums unless I absolutely have to. It's a myth that they carry rabies, and since they are immune to things like Lyme disease and groom themselves like cats and eat the ticks, they statistically lower the prevalence of ticks and tick borne diseases in any area where they are left alone. Yes, I know they can be an issue with horse feed, I get it, but I know people who randomly kill every possum they see, and that's fucking retarded.

Doe I took with my S&W 681;

Name:  DeadDoe.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  62.3 KB

Great message and.....shooting, Chuck!
    Last edited by 11B10; 05-28-2018 at 08:44 AM.

User Tag List