Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI - Floor Jack

Site Supporter
    I use a steel 3T Low-Profile model from Harbor Freight for my 1997 Toyota 4Runner (needs 20" of lift to get the 32" wheels off the ground), my 2003 Honda Odyssey minivan, and my 2013 Ford Focus. The low-pro jack gets under the Focus with ease, yet has enough lift for the truck. The lift ratio is such that I can be on my side halfway under a vehicle and still crank the jack to adjust the height while setting jack stands. I have no complaints.

Chris

Ive used cheap floor jacks for doing odds and ends, swapping rear axle housings and pulling transmissions and transfer cases and such. They sometimes need blocks of wood to get enough height. Bottle jacks are also usable items. The secret stem that unscrews from the ram to add height before starting jacking wasnt revealed to me the first few times I get stuck in the mud and snow out in the hills. I just used lots of boards stacked up to get more height.

My favorite way to get the vehicle raised up to change a tire is an air compressor. If it didnt go extremely flat extremely fast, airing it up and driving to town and get the tire shop to pull it and fix it is the method of choice when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive used cheap floor jacks for doing odds and ends, swapping rear axle housings and pulling transmissions and transfer cases and such. They sometimes need blocks of wood to get enough height. Bottle jacks are also usable items. The secret stem that unscrews from the ram to add height before starting jacking wasnt revealed to me the first few times I get stuck in the mud and snow out in the hills. I just used lots of boards stacked up to get more height.

My favorite way to get the vehicle raised up to change a tire is an air compressor. If it didnt go extremely flat extremely fast, airing it up and driving to town and get the tire shop to pull it and fix it is the method of choice when possible.
    Mine is when I hear the tap-tap-tap that increases with speed and the screw/nail is still holding air, so I can drive to a tire place to get it fixed. I've got an old Craftsman that came with jack stands. I haven't treated it well as far as storage goes, but it still lifts a car/truck. Today I'd start looking at HF.
    Last edited by Hambo; 02-01-2018 at 05:56 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I was looking for a jack about 15 years ago and was unhappy with all that were available - most Chinese made jacks were poor and many blew out their seals when used only a few times. I don't know if Chinese seals are any better but if they aren't I wouldn't expect this site to rag on them anymore if that's all they have to sell. Anyway, have a look at the site and see if you can find something you like. I think they used to rebuild and sell Milwaukie jacks but I don't see them there anymore. This place - http://www.hyjacks.com - led me to the Norco, which I bought. It had Japanese seals, IIRC - it weighed over a 100 pounds but is still working fine. I suspect if you can afford the freight Milwaukie or US Jack would be worth owning.

Milwaukee 4 ton are about $1100 new, but here's a two-ton reconditioned for $250: http://www.phjjacks.com/merchant/mer...tegory_Code=FL
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 02-01-2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added info.

I broke my 1.5T HF jack not too long ago. The car shifted while I was jacking it and the jack tipped over, getting crushed by the frame rail when the car fell. Totally not the jack's fault as my fat ass lost balance and hit the car, causing it to shift. I was putting jack stands under it when it happened. Crushed a jack stand too when it toppled over. I still replaced it with another HF 1.5T, and picked up a new 3T as well. Both are the blue aluminum "racing" jacks. Not having to haul around my also finally failed 100# 2T sears jack is a godsend.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I purchased a floor jack from Costco last year and am very happy with it. Low enough to get under my Miata, enough lift to jack up my 4Runner. No complaint at all about it.

Some of the jacks I have, were found locally, via CL or garage sales. These are old jacks that are US made and rebuild kits can still be had. If you don't need one immediately, you might check CL and just use an import/HF special until your jack is rebuilt.

Site Supporter
    I didn’t even think about jack stands. Good call.

I want aluminum but $99 for 3 ton steel at Home Despot for the win.

Thanks for the info.

User Tag List