Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm semi auto range ammo-Winchester 115 white box vs Winchester NATO 124

9mm semi auto range ammo-Winchester 115 white box vs Winchester NATO 124

Walmart today selling the Winchester NATO 124 gr for $28 for box of 150 rounds. Stated muzzle velocity of 1200 vs 1190 for 115 gr white box. The 115 gr white box is $19 for 100 rounds. Assuming the NATO marked box is hotter (faster with heavier bullet) what is not to like. Any complaints on the Winchester NATO 124s? Shooting them today.Been pleased with the white box 115 (non-NATO) with NO FFF, FTE or FTL in either my Beretta 92A1 or SIG 226 MK25.
    My defense load is Hornady Critical Duty 135 +P and they shoot excellent in both my pistols
    Last edited by Rmiked; 01-19-2018 at 11:19 AM.

I buy the Winchester NATO 124 grain ammunition whenever I see it at a good price online. It is a little hotter than standard pressure 9 mm Para but not as hot as many +P designated loads. Primer pockets are crimped and primers are sealed.

I have had very good luck with the Winchester NATO ammo with a single exception. The one and only time my Beretta 92 FS malfunctioned was with a NATO round. The slide did not quite go back into battery and locked up. When I got the round out, I took some measurements with a caliper and examined it carefully and saw nothing obviously out of spec or otherwise wrong with it.

I generally prefer the NATO rounds for practice because the projectile weight and powder load seem to better approximate the 124 grain JHP ammunition that I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    Walmart today selling the Winchester NATO 124 gr for $28 for box of 150 rounds. Stated muzzle velocity of 1200 vs 1190 for 115 gr white box. The 115 gr white box is $19 for 100 rounds. Assuming the NATO marked box is hotter (faster with heavier bullet) what is not to like. Any complaints on the Winchester NATO 124s? Shooting them today.Been pleased with the white box 115 (non-NATO) with NO FFF, FTE or FTL in either my Beretta 92A1 or SIG 226 MK25.
    My defense load is Hornady Critical Duty 135 +P and they shoot excellent in both my pistols
    I’ve bought a lot of the Winchester 124 NATO from Walmart. Shoots fine and I have no issues with it. My P30/P30Ls run better on it compared to 115 White Box.
    Shoot more, post less...

I've got a couple cases of it, and in the LE packaging is what we have for ball ammo at my job.

My only complaint is that the cases are filthy. All else being equal, I'd rather have clean cases like found with American Eagle, S&B, MEN, GECO....the latter being so clean it's like they're polished.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Vending Machine Operator
    My first choice is Federal American Eagle, but I've got through a few 500-pack cases of the Winchester 124 NATO without issue.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Is the Winchester 124 NATO considered a +P load? I like it very much and may shoot it exclusively for range and target shooting. I want to make sure continued use of it is not detrimental to the pistol. The Beretta manual says occasional and defensive use of +P is fine. Anyone know about this? I’m thinking not an issue for the venerable Beretta 92A1 which is what I shoot along with a SIG 226 MK25. The SIG FAQ is similar to Beretta. This NATO round has a little extra punch but shoots real well in both my pistols. If it is a +P load I might not want to shoot all the time
    Last edited by Rmiked; 01-20-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Stay on top of your preventive maintenance (recoil spring replacement) on your Beretta and shooting Winchester Q4318 is no problem.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Winchester 124 NATO 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Stay on top of your preventive maintenance (recoil spring replacement) on your Beretta and shooting Winchester Q4318 is no problem.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I’m running a Wilson Combat chrome silicon 14# recoil spring in my Beretta. Cycles flawlessly. My SIG 226 has factory recoil spring and works great. From other reading the NATO round is essentially a +P load.

I try my best to run NATO (currently MEN out of Germany) whenever I can. Reason being is I want to be used to dealing with hotter ammo for when the time comes that I have to employ carry ammo other than the yearly cycle. If I could afford to only ever shoot my carry ammo I would.
    Just a father trying to protect his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    I'm not a fan of Winchester, but the price for the 124 grain is generally cheaper than what you can get brass cased 9mm for on line these days. And since it is cheaper per round than the 115 grain, I'd buy that.

Cheap is good--it allows us to practice more.

User Tag List