View Poll Results: For a G19 do you prefer a 19 or 17 length holster?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 19 length

14 35.00%
  • 17 length

26 65.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who carry a G19 AIWB do you prefer 19 or 17 length holsters?

5'7" 140 lbs.

AIWB I like a 19 length holster as a 17 is really uncomfortable. I'm kinda long waisted and pants ride low on me so I don't have a lot of room up front.

Strong side IWB I greatly prefer a 17 or even 34 length holster as it spreads the pressure and is much easier on the nerves of the butt.

5’6” and 140. Much prefer a G19 length AIWB. Also prefer the gun riding lower in the waistband to aid in concealment, although there is definitely a sweet spot that can be difficult to attain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the stability of G17-length holsters, until I sit, and get jabbed in the upper thigh. So, for AIWB, neither G19 nor G17 is ideal. A full-sized 1911, too, jabs me in the thigh, when I sit. The only longer pistols that have worked for me @ AIWB are revolving pistols, and that is with a holster with a flexible belt loop and body that allow some degree of “float” as I move.

5'9" and 190 lbs.

I carry AIWB in a 17 length Mastermind Tactics holster with wing and wedge. I wear it in the lowest position for best concealment. I've been thinking about trying a 19 length holster to see if there might be a little more comfort to be had without compromising concealment. Sometimes the 17 length holster feels a touch pokey in the nether parts.

5'10" @ 185 lbs

I found that while I can accommodate both G19 and G17 length holsters AIWB, I strongly prefer the G19 length. The G17 length holsters tend to dig into my thighs or the crease of my hip more when sitting down. Personally, I found no benefit in concealment or other function with the G17 length holsters.

5'10" @ 220lbs

I prefer the longer holster so that I can have it ride higher on my belt line. Kydex holsters using grip tucking means (claw or built in wedge) and wedges to press the butt of the gun in make this possible. Prior to that combination, I did prefer the smaller sized holster that put the grip closer to my belt line for concealment's sake.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    G17 length. 5'10, 165lb

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I prefer the stability of G17-length holsters, until I sit, and get jabbed in the upper thigh. So, for AIWB, neither G19 nor G17 is ideal. A full-sized 1911, too, jabs me in the thigh, when I sit. The only longer pistols that have worked for me @ AIWB are revolving pistols, and that is with a holster with a flexible belt loop and body that allow some degree of “float” as I move.
    It looks like I forgot to describe my physical build. I am 6’, and can fit into VertX pants with a 32” waist with a tight fit, and need 34” to wear a pistol inside the pants. My pelvis is somewhat wide, but I have little meat over the pelvic bone.

At the more-common behind-the-hip IWB position, I can wear a quite long pistol IWB, and prefer the stability of full-duty/service-sized weapons, subject to the limitations of the mobility of my aging shoulders. At AIWB, longer pistols’ holsters can jab my thigh when I sit, or bend at the hip, as I stated, above, so a G17 or full-sized 1911 is not a best practice.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-05-2018 at 09:50 AM.

I prefer a G17 length for the stability. G19 length holsters tend to want to roll out over the belt on me. I do want to try a 34 length, but in just feeling where the 17 length holsters hit my thigh, I'm not sure I have any extra room.

G17 length, 5'11", 195lbs.
    #RESIST

User Tag List