Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911's, I dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    I find myself looking at 1911 pistols more and more these days because they are very easy to shoot well.
    If the foundation of self defense with a firearm is marksmanship, then doesn’t it become important to use a platform which is conducive to marksmanship?
    I would suggest that marksmanship is but one part of of the foundation for self defense, and it doesn't have to be a particularly high level of marksmanship. So a platform that is conducive to marksmanship may or may not be important to the self defense issue. How do the marksmanship abilities of a tuned PPC gun fit into the overall self defense paradigm? (I see Todd addressed that already!)

And at what point should I change platforms to see if it's true?
    Any time you want, IMO. It is not like it will create any significant negative issues.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I can't shoot a better El Presidente, FAST, Rhythm (12345) drill, The Test, Bill Drill, better with a 1911 than I can with a G17. The only place where my 1911 outruns the Glock in my hands is for distant precision - 25 yards plus. [I haven't tried SHO/WHO drills with a 1911 in so long I can't say about that.]

My 1911 only noses out the G17 at 25 but pulls well ahead at 50.
    I have spent the vast majority of my time in recent years on the Glock which is probably a factor but still. No way can I pick up my custom 1911 now and out perform the G17 on the balance.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I can't shoot a better El Presidente, FAST, Rhythm (12345) drill, The Test, Bill Drill, better with a 1911 than I can with a G17. The only place where my 1911 outruns the Glock in my hands is for distant precision - 25 yards plus.
    -- I think that's what most people would say, plus the Glock holds more bullets! Doesn't seem to work the same for me, but that might just be me doing it wrong.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'll bite. I would carry a 1911 if I had the money to buy a good one (really, 3 or 4 good ones) , the resources and know how to service it myself, and the time and dedication to know how to make it run, both when i'm on the line and at the work bench. They really are awesome pistols, and give me the warm and fuzzies all over.

As it stands none of those things are true. I carry a Glock 19. So that's what it is.

I get it
    I have 7 1911s and some are pretty high dollar. I love to shoot them
    I carry a Glock 30

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    I've often heard that 1911s 'cover up' inadequate trigger management; I've never been sure whether that's an argument for or against them.
    I think we need to define some terms -- and some goals -- before this goes further.

When we're talking about marksmanship, what are our priorities? If we care about pinpoint bullseye slowfire accuracy, that's one thing. If we care about getting accurate hits under stress at speed, that's something else. It's a mistake to assume that just because a gun is easier when hitting a gong at 100yd with no time limit it will also be easier when you're trying to hit someone's ocular window at 7yd when you're bleeding and your wife's life is on the line.

If you pick up a gun and it makes you a better bullseye shooter, so be it. But like I said, that capability would come from a .22 free pistol, as well. There's far more to a gun than its bullseye scores, unless you're a bullseye competitor.

One thing that I believe should factor significantly in to one's choice is the amount of proficiency one already has with a given platform. It is one thing if you are talking clean slate here and quite another if one has literally years of training and experience carrying a particular weapons platform.

In the end this becomes a very personal choice and it is quite easy to criticize another's choice and make blanket statements based on one's own biases...

Of course I have my own opinions about what is "best" ... but they really only govern my own choices ;-p

Quote Originally Posted by Long tom coffin View Post
    And when you look at it it, there really is no actual or perceived benefit to carrying a 1911 for concealed carry as opposed to a standard capacity polymer pistol.
    I prefer to carry in an appendix position, just like many others here. As such, I very strongly prefer handguns that allow for an active control over firing mechanism. Quite specifically, I will not routinely carry Glocks in AIWB until the Gadget is out.
    I prefer the pistols that allow for an ambidexterity, or as much of it as possible. The minimum requirement is to be able to draw SHO or WHO, disengage safety without delay and start firing.
    I also strongly prefer a laser on my carry guns; comes from prior experiences of training in low light/no light. I like Crimson Trace grips for their quality, CS, ability to turn them on/off and block laser beam with your trigger finger.

These three requirements (part of a larger list) currently exclude all standard capacity polymer pistols (barely passable option is M&P, but it requires a removal of right safety lever and loss of easy ambidexterity). Personal preferences are what they are - personal; some may consider what I listed above contrived, but I find those things to be an actual benefit of carrying a 1911 over current polymers.
    Last edited by YVK; 05-02-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I prefer to carry in an appendix position, just like many others here. As such, I very strongly prefer handguns that allow for an active control over firing mechanism. Quire specifically, I will not routinely carry Glocks in AIWB until the Gadget is out.
    I prefer the pistols that allow for an ambidexterity, or as much of it as possible. The minimum requirement is to be able to draw SHO or WHO, disengage safety without delay and start firing.
    I also strongly prefer a laser on my carry guns; comes from prior experiences of training in low light/no light. I like Crimson Trace grips for their quality, CS, ability to turn them on/off and block laser beam with your trigger finger.

These three requirements (part of a larger list) currently exclude all standard capacity polymer pistols (barely passable option is M&P, but it requires a removal of right safety lever and loss of easy ambidexterity). Personal preferences are what they are - personal; some may consider what I listed above contrived, but I find those things to be an actual benefit of carrying a 1911 over current polymers.
    There are tons of polymer frame pistols that meet those three requirements

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm4me View Post
    There are tons of polymer frame pistols that meet those three requirements
    There are more requirements than I just listed, in fact, more important ones, but since I brought up those three - ambidexterity, CT grips, and active control over firing mechanism on reholstering - what are those tons of polymer pistols? I've just looked at CT website, not seeing much.

User Tag List