Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .44 special

.44 special

I thinking about my next purchase even though it wont be for a few months so I will ask some questions about it before I do. I am thinking of buying a 44 mag to shoot only .44 special only. I cant shoot .44 mag at my pistol club, besides I want it for indoor target shooting and steel target shooting once winter leaves its ugly face. From what I have read this caliber seems to be very accurate and very easy to reload and very nice to shoot which is what attracted me to it. Also because its a revolver makes it more appealing to me. One question I have is, I am thinking of buying a .44 mag to shoot the .44 special. I thought this would be easier to sell if I didn't care for the gun or caliber. Also is this caliber powerful enough to use for steel plate and silloutte shooting or would I need to use the .44 mag for those sports.

If anyone has any opinions or comments on this please share them with me I would quite greatful.

The 44SPL is a grand old cartridge. It is accurate and fun to shoot and should work well for the activities you want it for. Factory loads are generally pretty mild but there are a few exceptions like the 200gr Gold Dot load from Underwood. If you handload you can make ammo that's as mild or as wild as you care to take it especially if you're using a magnum revolver.

Using a Magnum is probably a good idea as you're right about the better resale value. Also you're pretty limited if you want something that's a dedicated 44 Special. Your choices are pretty much the Ruger GP-100 or a Charter Arms Bulldog.

A few months ago I picked up a S&W 69 for this exact purpose - in my case I wanted the option of shooting magnums when carrying it as a north woods field gun, but the vast majority of shooting would be specials. It’s working out well!

Dirty Harry carried Specials in his .44 Mag.

Are you going to reload for this gun? That will make a huge difference in what you can or are likely to shoot. 44 mags are probably more commonly desired, but I doubt youd have a problem selling either a spl or mag. The magnum guns are more flexible with factory loads being able to use spls as well. Handloaded, depending on the gun, not as much difference.

There are still S&W model 24-somethings around that sell for fairly reasonable prices now and then, Id not just consider brand new offerings as the only viable options. If its a fun gun, a single action may also work. I enjoy shooting single actions more than DAs for the most part, and they are much more comfortable for most heavier loads due to the grip shape.

RE Dirty Harry, he said he used spls for close up work, not as a regular carry load, but it seems to have somehow morphed online into he only carried 44 spls. He carried 3 speedloaders all the time, so enough spare loads he could have some of both.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-26-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    I thinking about my next purchase even though it wont be for a few months so I will ask some questions about it before I do. I am thinking of buying a 44 mag to shoot only .44 special only. I cant shoot .44 mag at my pistol club, besides I want it for indoor target shooting and steel target shooting once winter leaves its ugly face. From what I have read this caliber seems to be very accurate and very easy to reload and very nice to shoot which is what attracted me to it. Also because its a revolver makes it more appealing to me. One question I have is, I am thinking of buying a .44 mag to shoot the .44 special. I thought this would be easier to sell if I didn't care for the gun or caliber. Also is this caliber powerful enough to use for steel plate and silloutte shooting or would I need to use the .44 mag for those sports.

If anyone has any opinions or comments on this please share them with me I would quite greatful.
    Get a nice, pre-lock S&W in 44 mag. Everyone loves them. It is better suited to mid range 44 mag anyway, at least for extensive shooting

If you reload, 220-250 gr lead bullets and 8.5 to 10.0 gr of Unique or a similar powder (Universal Clays, etc.) is a great power band. Accurate, mild to relatively mild recoil, and still plenty of punch. Or just shoot 44 spl if you want extra mild, it shoots very well in the 44 mag chambers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Are you going to reload for this gun? That will make a huge difference in what you can or are likely to shoot. 44 mags are probably more commonly desired, but I doubt youd have a problem selling either a spl or mag. The magnum guns are more flexible with factory loads being able to use spls as well. Handloaded, depending on the gun, not as much difference.

There are still S&W model 24-somethings around that sell for fairly reasonable prices now and then, Id not just consider brand new offerings as the only viable options. If its a fun gun, a single action may also work. I enjoy shooting single actions more than DAs for the most part, and they are much more comfortable for most heavier loads due to the grip shape.

RE Dirty Harry, he said he used spls for close up work, not as a regular carry load, but it seems to have somehow morphed online into he only carried 44 spls. He carried 3 speedloaders all the time, so enough spare loads he could have some of both.
    Dirty Harry is cool and all but he is a fictional character.

If you don’t reload, .44 special will be more expensive to shoot than 44 mag. .44 mag is also much more common on store shelves than 44 Special.

Skeeter Skelton on the other hand, hand some real world experience and favored .44 special and .357 as duty rounds.

http://www.darkcanyon.net/The_44Spec...eappraisal.htm

http://www.sixguns.com/BookOfThe44/bot44c10.htm

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Skeeter-s-load
    Last edited by HCM; 12-26-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Duty gun? Just get a 9 mm glock

IMO the 44 mag revolver is a hobby/plinking/hunting gun, or something multipurpose for the woods. It has the same weight and dimensions of a 44 spl, and you can load it to whatever power level you want, or shoot 44 spl in it. There are factory mid range/cowboy loads in 44 mag, and in general this caliber tends to be much more widely available and even cheaper than 44 spl.

The 44 spl revolver is a fine gun, but it would be an excentric/hipster's gun.

And, if you want to be a real hipster get a 41 Rem Mag...

I agree with the above advice, 44 mag or special, it is a reloader's cartridge. Neither magnums or specials will ever be popular enough commercially for us to see great factory ammo prices. Some commercial reloaders like Georgia Arms produce decent cowboy level loads in bulk but most cowboy competitors are not using 44's because of the dearth of cowboy action long guns in the caliber.

If you decide to get one, evaluate the Ruger's (single and double action) too, as they might be the best value in terms of initial cost and resale value. They are certainly well built. At all costs avoid the Charter Arms guns unless you have a very strong masochistic streak as they are brutal to shoot even with mid range .44 special loads.

User Tag List