Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols you regret NOT buying.

One that haunts my dreams. A genuine lettered, 1937-produced Registered Magnum, 5" barrel, McGivern gold-bead front sight fitted by Smith back in the late '40s, hand cut checkering on the hammer, trigger guard, and along the top rib. My friend offered it to me at $3000 when I was a senior in college, at the time it was already worth about 4500 bucks. Alas, he had an emergency and had to sell it quickly and I missed out.

I'll probably never get another chance like that the rest of my life.

1. I should've just bought Glock first. Went through too damn many guns before realizing how dumb that was.
    2. A mint FEG P9M hi-power for $249 at Cabela's a couple years back. They are sweet, so was that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    One of the biggies for me was waiting too long on a .308 Galil, and then they got banned.
    Ouch. Stupid AWB. So many cool guns that are unavailable or bring stupid money because of stupid people. I did pick up a .308 Saiga back when those were still coming in but I didn't grab any Csspecs mags before 2013 so I only have crap polymer mags for it. Thinking about selling it and getting a G3/Cetme clone.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There was a 6" half-lug GP100 in stainless that went low back in the spring on GB. I'm going to wait a long time before I see one go that low again. Was feeling "responsible" at the time and didn't big a couple steps up. Can't get it out of my wantsies.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    An old timer had a 1860 army that was made when col. colt was still overseeing his factory. It most likely seen service in the civil war and after had been converted to fire metallic cartridges. As a young rookie I just couldn’t scrape the money together.

That colt new frontier in 45 colt sitting in the pawn shop for $750.00

Another old timer bought his pistol in the pd cause he needed help with it. He had this old beater looking pistol, blue worn, rust spots used hard but not abused. He had forgot how the field strip it an needed help. See he brung this 45 back home with him after ww2. See he had a Luger he got off a jerry but he didn’t like that little bullet it fired an traded that Luger to another gi for this 1911 colt. After talking with him an helpin him he admitted the 45 was gettin hard for his old hands to work an wanted something easier to work. I showed him a j frame an how to operate it and he really liked the j frame and wanted to trade. Well that j frame was my back up and it wasn’t a far trade and I passed. The old vet and I was disappointed. I wanted the history and he wanted the little revolver..........but I didn’t trade.

It gets worse.

About a year after I met the old vet I was in a pawn shop and there in the case was his 1911. I asked to look at the ticket and the 1911 had been sold by a family member. The pawn shop had a good price on it. I still didn’t buy it. Wanted to think about it. About puttin it on credit. After thinkin enough about it I went back the next day to get it. The 1911 was gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steyr AUG before the AWB: too expensive for me then.

Valmet M76 to be had for a reasonable price (don't remember the number but I could afford it at the time) late into the AWB.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Back before I had kids(this can be read as, when I had disposable income), I'd wander the pawn shops and gun stores in/around Orlando after payday to look for "deals". I found, what was listed as a used Springfield TRP, for $900...problem was it didn't come with the G10 grips and FCS. I wanted those "upgrades" on my first 1911 so I passed. I went home and looked to see how much those upgrades would cost and found out that I was looking at a Springfield Pro. Couldn't make it back out to the shop before they closed that day, then they weren't open on Sunday and by the time I made it out there on Monday it was gone.
    UGH!
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

I’m nowhere near as sentimental as some of you guys. I've bought a lot of guns over the last 40 years. I learned something from each of them, then sold all but a handful of them within a year.

I never saw much point in buying guns as an investment. Nearly anything gains value if you sit on it long enough, and I lack the patience to do that. Guns also have to stay in good shape to appreciate in value, and my guns get used too much for that. Then there’s the fact that guns don’t always gain the kind of value that you think they will. For instance, back when you could buy a Colt Python for $400, they were the most accurate factory 357 around. Buying one made sense, even if it was expensive. Today they’re still just as accurate and fun to shoot, but prices start $3k, only a handful of smiths can work on them, and parts are getting hard to find. It's probably best to shoot them sparingly if at all. I just can’t sit on a $3k safe queen when I could use that money to train, hunt, or just go to the range and get some trigger time.

I stopped regretting the ones that got away once I realized that I'd get a chance to buy something identical (or better) before long. And that's pretty much how it’s worked out.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’m nowhere near as sentimental as some of you guys. I've bought a lot of guns over the last 40 years. I learned something from each of them, then sold all but a handful of them within a year.

I never saw much point in buying guns as an investment. Nearly anything gains value if you sit on it long enough, and I lack the patience to do that. Guns also have to stay in good shape to appreciate in value, and my guns get used too much for that. Then there’s the fact that guns don’t always gain the kind of value that you think they will. For instance, back when you could buy a Colt Python for $400, they were the most accurate factory 357 around. Buying one made sense, even if it was expensive. Today they’re still just as accurate and fun to shoot, but prices start $3k, only a handful of smiths can work on them, and parts are getting hard to find. It's probably best to shoot them sparingly if at all. I just can’t sit on a $3k safe queen when I could use that money to train, hunt, or just go to the range and get some trigger time.

I stopped regretting the ones that got away once I realized that I'd get a chance to buy something identical (or better) before long. And that's pretty much how it’s worked out.

Okie John
    Weren't you the one who had the well used 1911 with welded on rear sight?

A P7M8 in the late 90's early 2000 new, in the gun store.

A P7 PSP about 10 years ago for about $650
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 11-07-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    A71593

User Tag List