Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bersa Thunder 380

I would be willing to give some data about the hi point but im not going to keep getting on the website if im going to be harrassed everytime I post something. This is the second thing I posted where i have gotten nothing but crap. And nothing against you derek

Quote Originally Posted by warnerj2118 View Post
    Wow and youre staff? Im a new member to this site and im new to buying pistols and shooting them. And atm i am focusing more on finishing the semester at school so im not working atm. I figured joining a forum would help me out figuring out what to buy and what not to buy, but it your previous statement has proven me completely wrong. You honestly are telling me to leave the website if I cannot afford something more expensive? Thats awesome help. Thank you so much for a wonderful forum experience. Ill be sure to let customer service know
    Hey bud, you're clearly focused on pinching pennies. I'm telling as the voice of experience that shooting pistols costs money. Ammo, sights, holsters, time. Take a look at the training journals posted on here and do a little math based upon the amount of shooting documented. This hobby costs money. Making a commitment to be a better shooter means spending money and time. Not agonizing over what is the best pistol under $300. However, I did mention that you could train with your HiPoint.

Apostrophes.
    #RESIST

To the OP: The Bersa Thunder .380 is a pile of scrap metal. I had one and broke various bits off it in under 300 rounds. I'd avoid it at all costs.

Let me flip the script here on you for a second: you say you don't want to spend more than $300 on a carry gun. A carry gun that you're going to bet your life on if, god forbid you should ever need it. So my question to you, "Is your life really only worth 300 bucks to you?"

I have a Bersa .380 and a Bersa .22. I shoot them both quite a bit. They're very reliable pistols; I use the .380 as my demo gun for Concealed Carry classes and it hasn't malfunctioned yet. The trigger is actually quite good for a DA/SA. The sights are decent and windage adjustable. It's a noticeably thinner package than any double column 9mm.

There is about a 50% premium on ammo cost for .380 but the flip side is that .22 ammo is inexpensive practice ammo.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

I have also been looking at a SCCY CPX-1 9mm. Never heard of the brand so im not sure of it? Like anything else I have looked at they are up and down reviews. Thoughts?

I own a Bersa Thunder 380 CC. It's a bit smaller than the regular Thunder and lightweight. I like the gun and it is very reliable and shoots straight and has a GREAT TRIGGER. It is also inexpensive and mags and parts and holsters are easy to find. It conceals really well. I have no problem with the .380 round....I have compared 9mm and .380 hollowpoints and they are very comparable. But more than that, shot placement is everything and a 22LR-HP will absolutely do the job with good shot placement. If you are going into combat, get a .45, if you are going to carry, get something you can shoot accurately and fast and is comfy to carry and easy to conceal. Now the issues: because it is so lightweight you will feel the recoil and I find that the recoil causes my grip to move around a bit and when I shoot fast I lose accuracy. Perhaps adding grip tape and more aggressive grips would help. Your hands and grip might be different and better or worse experience. Secondly, it is a cheaply made gun...the finish is not nearly as nice as other guns...but it is reliable and sturdy.

I don't carry the Bersa anymore because I have graduated to better guns. I am a fan of 9mm because I shoot IDPA and shoot over 1000 rounds a month and the ammo is cheaper.

I carry a Kimber 9mm, but it is expensive at about $1100.

For a reliable and relatively inexpensive small concealable handgun with modest recoil, consider the Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm or the Ruger LC9.

Other guns on the top of my list:
    S&W M&P Compact 9mm;
    Cz 2075 RAMI 9mm;
    Kahr PM9 or CM9;
    Walther PPK .380;
    Glock 19;
    Springfield XD subcompact;
    Beretta Nano;

If you are willing to go with a 22LR, and you really should consider if you plan to become a good shot. These guns have low recoil and are comfy to carry and easy to conceal and cheap ammo:
    Browning 1911-22 A1;
    Bersa Firestorm 22LR;
    Beretta Bobcat;
    S&W M&P22;
    Walther P22

First, you should decide if you want DA/SA, DA only Striker fired, or SA/Cocked and Locked. Personally I don't care for the Glock and XD triggers....they feel mushy to me. I love a relatively light crisp clean trigger with a short reset. That is why I hate the Kel-tec guns...horrible triggers IMHO. I don't care for the DA-only long-travel triggers...too much time for me to lose accuracy.

But you will have your own preferences, so you should try out triggers and grips until you find one that fits you.

Good Luck, be safe, and get adequate training.
    CC

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    So my question to you, "Is your life really only worth 300 bucks to you?"
    That's a moot question when the rent is due.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    True that.

If you don't have the money, then you don't have the money. As someone who was raised on powdered milk by a single disabled mother, I can sympathize with the OP.

Mindset, mindset, mindset. An attitude to better yourself and a cheapo used commie pistol is what I'm seeing in the OP's future.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    An attitude to better yourself and a cheapo used commie pistol is what I'm seeing in the OP's future.
    Classic Arms has used Tokarevs and Makarovs for nearly nothing, that may be worth investigating too. There are few choices in GOOD ammo, but lots of cheap stuff for the range, it seems like.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    That's actually the point of that question - I've argued in the past that if "all you can afford" is $250 for a pistol, that perhaps a person needs to look at one's priorities instead.

User Tag List