Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    If you've ever seen Minority Report, the same kind of thing is going on there (but a better and more rewarding plot in my opinion).
    Philip K. Dick’s works are phenomenal source material in the right hands - engaging on many levels.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Blade Runner is an influential film - countless movies have mined it for images and ideas. If you're new to it, I'd recommend The Final Cut version as the best available at this point. It is essentially a cleaned up Director's Cut.

There are real differences between the Theatrical and Director's Cuts (and it's amazing how a few seconds of footage can completely change a story). They make an interesting comparison.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I’m a fan of the old one. Keep that in mind when I say that the new one was excellent. We saw an early showing today. It’s quite long though, so hit the head first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’m a fan of the old one. Keep that in mind when I say that the new one was excellent. We saw an early showing today. It’s quite long though, so hit the head first.
    Great to hear ;-)

Didn't remember anything about the first one. Saw 2049 tonight. Home theater enthusiasts will absolutely love the low-frequency content, crazy LFE. Beautiful film, I followed the story right up until the end, now I'm not so sure. Still have no idea about Deckard. For me, it was worth the trip just for the sound alone.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I saw it back when I was 15 or so and thought it sucked, and watched it again ten years later and loved it. Looking forward to seeing the new one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    No offense, but the original is sci fi for smart people who are into symbolism...
    Bah! It ain't nearly as good as Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Now THERE'S some symbology.

Woohoo! I enjoyed that ride! They spent about a bajillion dollars on production and it looked like they got their money's worth.

I loved it.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Philip K. Dick’s works are phenomenal source material in the right hands - engaging on many levels.
    Fruit of the same vine, as it were, includes Burroughs (kind of both of them), Burgess, the aforementioned Pynchon, and in my opinion Gibson. Any fan of one should try all flavors.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Fruit of the same vine, as it were, includes Burroughs (kind of both of them), Burgess, the aforementioned Pynchon, and in my opinion Gibson. Any fan of one should try all flavors.
    Absolutely agreed...

I would also heartily recommend Ian Tregillis - his Milkweed Triptych and Alchemy Wars series are both excellent - and also Paolo Bacigalupi... his is some of the most memorable fiction I've read in recent years, particularly the short story collection, Pump Six and Other Stories.

User Tag List