Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W -- "hard to sell right now"

Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    Red Loctite is for fasteners only, not press fit assemblies...
    Tell James Yeager that. He's the dude putting red loctite on threads, sight bases, on top of screws in the screw holes, around the sights in the dovetails, and every other conceivable surface you can think of.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I was in the market for a factory .40 1911 for USPSA SS. The usual go-to was the STI Trojan... to my horror the .40 Trojans were discontinued this year. You know the .40 market is taking a hit when STI can't justify producing the most popular factory .40 1911 in practical shooting. Dan Wesson dropped their .40 1911s. Neither Springfield nor Colt currently make a .40 1911.

I ended up with a Sig Max 1911 .40, which is actually a pretty solid pistol out of the box. It's really the only suitable factory option-- short of dropping the dough for a custom gun. I run it with Wilson 10mm mags.

Now I'm going to deactivate the grip safety and bitch that the P320 isn't drop safe

Double Tap
    Last edited by GunRacer; 09-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    My experience is that 135 grain handloads are remarkably soft shooting. I think that it's because the bullet weight is on par with a 9mm, but has a larger area to push against (10mm), so for the same velocity you'll get less of a pressure spike due to the increased case volume and area of the bullet base.

I'm probably off on the physics of it, but I really, really like 135 grain .40's.
    While I admittedly never tried 135 grain loads, I loaded minor .40 in various powders using 155, 165, and 180. I found the 180 to be the softest.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Tell James Yeager that. He's the dude putting red loctite on threads, sight bases, on top of screws in the screw holes, around the sights in the dovetails, and every other conceivable surface you can think of.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    He applies the red loctite to the dovetail and around the rear sight of the XS rear on Glocks, as prescribed by the manufacturer (they include red loctite with their product). He uses blue loctite (the stick version...high viscosity type). And I've been on the range in enough classes to see the value of loctite...I make good money and yet I don't make enough money to drop optics in the dirt like some folks do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the major issues with manufacturer supplied data is they don't provide the standard deviations of their testing, only the avg. Something may avg 13" of penetration through a certain intermediate barrier, but when the standard deviation is +/- 2", there are a significant number of rounds that don't meet the desired minimum 12".

Site Supporter
    It's hilarious that I can walk right past a M&P for 339 bucks just because it's a .40 caliber and not give a shit when brand new 21 years old 45dotACP would have loved to get that price on any gun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    He applies the red loctite to the dovetail and around the rear sight of the XS rear on Glocks, as prescribed by the manufacturer (they include red loctite with their product). He uses blue loctite (the stick version...high viscosity type). And I've been on the range in enough classes to see the value of loctite...I make good money and yet I don't make enough money to drop optics in the dirt like some folks do!

If you are told to use loctite on the dovetails by the manufacturer, the sights dovetails are undersized.. they likely claim no gunsmithing required also. Reality is those sights are horribly undersized on most peoples dovetails, to allow them to fit on most pistols.

Which means they fall out... rather easily... as James Yeager found out (loctited or not). If they are going to recommend loctiting dovetails, they could have at least recommended the correct Loctite grade for intended application (not red).

Sights must start out oversized, where they cannot be hammered into place without beating on them or resorting to sight pushers.... then filed in just the right places to allow for a very tight fit that doesn't loosen over time and can be drifted to sight in.

The only place for loctite on a properly fitted rear sight is a small amount on the set screw after the sight has been verified zero, just to keep the screw from vibrating loose.

FWIW, don't take this to mean XS sucks... I'm sure other companies do things like this too. I believe Heinie cuts theirs to fit similarly, have also heard people having these fly off in use.

Simply a by product I am sure of people expecting the sights to just slide right in without gunsmithing. People can't be bother to pay somebody qualified to fit sights anymore it seems...
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 09-18-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Name:  31gY2XOeTnL._SY400_.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  14.6 KB
    640 is a red Loctite for press fit application

Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    If you are told to use loctite on the dovetails by the manufacturer, the sights dovetails are undersized.. they likely claim no gunsmithing required also. Reality is those sights are horribly undersized on most peoples dovetails, to allow them to fit on most pistols.

Which means they fall out... rather easily... as James Yeager found out (loctited or not). If they are going to recommend loctiting dovetails, they could have at least recommended the correct Loctite grade for intended application (not red).

Sights must start out oversized, where they cannot be hammered into place without beating on them or resorting to sight pushers.... then filed in just the right places to allow for a very tight fit that doesn't loosen over time and can be drifted to sight in.

The only place for loctite on a properly fitted rear sight is a small amount on the set screw after the sight has been verified zero, just to keep the screw from vibrating loose.

FWIW, don't take this to mean XS sucks... I'm sure other companies do things like this too. I believe Heinie cuts theirs to fit similarly, have also heard people having these fly off in use.

Simply a by product I am sure of people expecting the sights to just slide right in without gunsmithing. People can't be bother to pay somebody qualified to fit sights anymore it seems...
    I agree! And they are grossly undersized for the Glock dovetail (the XS that is). The idea being, that you insert them, tighten the set screws, and then loctite them to essentially, "glue," them into place. I don't know what the part number is for the loctite, but it is red, and it is included in the package. I've had a bunch of XS products for Glocks and Shield separate (the dot from the front sight) under hard use, and thus I don't use them anymore.

(I meant to type in my previous post that he uses high viscosity blue loctite stick on optic mounts...forgive my omission please).

I've never had any issue with Heinies, but mine are all older, and were installed by Richard himself, and I was told that they were, "crush fit." I still dig Heinies on Glocks, but I wouldn't want them UNLESS they were still crush fit.

User Tag List