Page 72 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: P320 drop safety issues

I think this will get worse before it gets better.

I'm sure Monday will be entertaining for those of us in the cheap seats.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 08-10-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    According to this Houston Chronicle article, SIG will replace Houston Police Department's current P320s with new ones. Wonder how much that will cost SIG. HPD did its own drop tests and got about 10% discharges.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...reddit-desktop
    I guess the HPD is just a bunch a trolling, click baiting, trolls just like the NRA claims.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    According to this Houston Chronicle article, SIG will replace Houston Police Department's current P320s with new ones. Wonder how much that will cost SIG. HPD did its own drop tests and got about 10% discharges.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...reddit-desktop
    Every replaced pistol is one the Officer has to be pulled from the streets for a requalification shoot. Ammo is cheap compared to the time.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by kev8287 View Post
    First I would like to ask does anyone else find it funny that until the Army contract was awarded this was not an issue. The 320 has been out since 2014. Second before all the hate starts (Yeah Right!!!). Who has a firearm from a company that has never had a recall, safety upgrade, product improvement, product enhancement, etc. of any kind. Not me. Let the hate start. Yes, I have a 320 and I like it, love no, that's reserved for my wife and family.
    No hate. It's not uncommon for people to get all up into a firearm approved by DOD. Especially when you couple that with how the contract was approved supposedly before the testing was complete. That sends red flags up.

This thing turned into a shit show, not because Sig had an issue make it out into the wild. It got turned into a shit show by how Sig and some SME handled themselves once the fault hit the light of day. Had Sig gone the Ruger route and simply stated that wow we passed all the industry standard tests, but holy cow the AD isn't a good thing. We will need to do some internal evals and see what's up. Instead they chose to be weasley about it and claimed it wasn't an issue at all. Oddly they have a fix for it. Hmmmmmm more red flags.

This is going to be a classic example of how NOT to handle a product issue.

Sadly, I think this is also going to result in excuses for more safety regulations of the firearms industry. Proof that they aren't self policing, so we need busy body beurocrats involved.

P320 drop safety issues

I don't own a P320 and at this point, likely never will. It has become a matter of trust and corporate integrity. First, Sig says there's no problem to see here (...move along). And then when the problem becomes self-evident and easily demonstrated, even by the most unsophisticated YouTubers, Sig suddenly announces: "Oh wait.... we've got a solution that's readily available."
    Not sure I trust their solution, especially if it's mainly contingent upon shaving off a few grams of trigger weight (mass; not pull weight). Every first year engr student knows the old, F=MA from their basic physics and while you might be able to positively influence the drop firing issue by trimming a few grams of weight, you may not still allow for enough safety margin in controlling the acceleration, in conditions other than just a free fall (g) drop. Seems like to me, Sig will have to do more than just make the trigger lighter weight. If Sig is to come out of this with any part of their reputation left intact, they will now have to 'overkill' the drop fire issue! (IMHO - YMMV).
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.
    Last edited by busykngt; 08-10-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Bruce Gray has resumed Facebook posting at P&S:

"Bruce Gray Please look a bit for my comments online from the past few days. I've been a little too busy, yes, to reply to every potshot or question. The video I commented upon did NOT show this newly discovered vulnerability. The video I questioned was the one showing a pistol ostensibly firing when dropped on the butt. We were not able to replicate what it shows at all, and I called it BS. I stand by it. I stand behind what I wrote. We believe, based on everything we know and have experienced ourselves, that the P320 does indeed meet the drop safety standards we have been working with. So does our work. This new thing wasn't discovered by us, despite our extreme exertions, nor by others in our segment of the industry. A standard 45-degree drop didn't expose it. They pass ANSI/SAAMI and NIJ all day long. So, we're working the problem with our partners at SIG, and we are developing a range of options to suit our mutual customers."

" BTW, Grayguns Inc. is coming out with the first if a series of official statements today. We were blindsided by this on Monday. Since then my crew and I have been on this working the problem nonstop. Our great customers and friends are being patient because they know we are working up solutions with SIG, and they are being taken care of as always. The trolls and haters aren't our customers, and they'll do what they want."
    Bruce's statement in tone and substance strikes me as indistinguishable from Sig's various statements. I don't view that as a good thing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    What I'm especially interested in is what's going to happen on the LE and 3 letter agency side of things for those departments/agencies that have adopted the 320?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm pretty sure someone from an agency that issues 320s has already chimed in and said that SIG will be replacing their guns and not requiring the agency to send them in for upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    If I were in an agency that issued these things (thankfully, I am not) and the decision was solely mine, we would drop the platform.
    I was wondering the same thing as MSparks. What recourse does a Law Enforcement Agency who purchased the P320 and now doesn't want them have? I know next to nothing about contract law and less about LEO equipment procurement, but does the one Officer town to ICE have a short term option that doesn't depend on a surely drawn out court finding?
    Last edited by EricP; 08-10-2017 at 05:59 PM.

dear Sig: contact Ruger. find out how they address problems that crop up. do that.

in this case, that is likely going to look like this: on monday, the 14th, you announce a P320 recall. replace/repair relevant parts, send guns back to owners as quickly as you can, and toss in some swag as a thank you for being a Sig customer. extra mags, ammo, clothing, whatever.

the problem is less the safety of your pistols than the perception that you don't care about your customers.

no charge for this free advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Bruce Gray has resumed Facebook posting at P&S:

"Bruce Gray Please look a bit for my comments online from the past few days. I've been a little too busy, yes, to reply to every potshot or question. The video I commented upon did NOT show this newly discovered vulnerability. The video I questioned was the one showing a pistol ostensibly firing when dropped on the butt. We were not able to replicate what it shows at all, and I called it BS. I stand by it. I stand behind what I wrote. We believe, based on everything we know and have experienced ourselves, that the P320 does indeed meet the drop safety standards we have been working with. So does our work. This new thing wasn't discovered by us, despite our extreme exertions, nor by others in our segment of the industry. A standard 45-degree drop didn't expose it. They pass ANSI/SAAMI and NIJ all day long. So, we're working the problem with our partners at SIG, and we are developing a range of options to suit our mutual customers."

" BTW, Grayguns Inc. is coming out with the first if a series of official statements today. We were blindsided by this on Monday. Since then my crew and I have been on this working the problem nonstop. Our great customers and friends are being patient because they know we are working up solutions with SIG, and they are being taken care of as always. The trolls and haters aren't our customers, and they'll do what they want."
    Well damn...

He almost had it. Almost.

Yeah, the DFMEA (Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis) did not capture this failure mode.

I cannot hang you for that. It was a shot across the bow for ALL striker-fired pistol manufacturers.

I would have accepted that as an engineer.

But to call others "trolls"? Yeah, some Cerebral Abbreviates are making light of your plight but WHY address them?

You make it appear that you consider "trolls" to be anyone who called you on your broad, sweeping allegations and properly smelled the lie from SIG USA on this.

I want to think higher of you, Bruce, but you're making it very difficult and the quality of your work makes this unpalatable.

I understand your personal relationship with SIG but it would be far better for you - perhaps not financially so - to shut your mouth if all you can do is obfuscate and resort to ad hominem.

This entire spectacle has grown into mass fuckery. You have yourself and SIG's "illustrious" management to blame. I'd expect greater command of the English language as well.

I currently do not have a SIG pistol. I've enjoyed the P226 Navy pistols - tack drivers and very smooth in their own right - but those were set free some time ago. I don't see myself ever owning another. Y'all (Cohen, et als) have soured me to the brand - a brand I once considered "a bookend of the pistol industry".

No more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P320 drop safety issues

From what little I know about this "modular" system, I don't see how Sig is going to fix this problem without expending the labor necessary to take apart (at least, partially disassemble) the FCU. At this point, their reputation can't afford a half-zzz solution.

PS - For the sake of the chief P320 engineer / designer, I hope he got his retirement 'locked in' before all this SHTF happened!
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.
    Last edited by busykngt; 08-10-2017 at 06:22 PM.

User Tag List