Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30SK

HK P30SK

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I know that you have experience with both and from reading your journal know that you put effort into training with both. That means something to me.

Edit: I just remembered that you're left handed. That screws up everything. Your impressions will be completely backwards [emoji3]
    Thanks! I'll get 'em both out tomorrow and conjure up some side by side impressions of the respective triggers, fwiw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 12-29-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Damn iPhone actually auto ordered a HK P30sk LEM this morning. I swear I didn't do anything. For the CDNN price I couldn't pass it up. in reality I just can't so no when it involves HK.

Site Supporter
    I know that you have experience with both and from reading your journal know that you put effort into training with both. That means something to me.

Edit: I just remembered that you're left handed. That screws up everything. Your impressions will be completely backwards [emoji3]

Greg - thanks for "outing" Rich. My one and only brother is a lefty and has always been a pain, too. LOL

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by CDFIII View Post
    Damn iPhone actually auto ordered a HK P30sk LEM this morning. I swear I didn't do anything. For the CDNN price I couldn't pass it up. in reality I just can't so no when it involves HK.
    Pistol forum deal finders strike again! Somehow it virally migrated to my phone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Pistol forum deal finders strike again! Somehow it virally migrated to my phone as well.
    Bloody hell. https://www.cdnnsports.com/hk-p30sk-....html?___SID=U
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm glad it's sold out. The temptation was strong.

HK P30SK

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks! I'll get 'em both out tomorrow and conjure up some side by side impressions of the respective triggers, fwiw.
    Ok, here are a few impressions comparing my stock BF (2015) date code VP9 with 2,000+ rounds with my stock BG (2016) dated code P30SK LEM V1 with 306 rounds.

Trigger Weight

Mas Ayoob's article (http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/19/gun-test-hk-p30sk/) on his low S/N P30SK Light LEM indicates the SK pull weight is 6.13 lbs. HK's web site (http://hk-usa.com/hk-models/vp9/) says the pull weight on the VP9 is 5.4 lbs.

Subjectively, this matches my experience. My VP9 is fairly well broken in with 2K rounds, and it would not surprise me if it were lighter than 5.4 lbs, but I do not have a pull gauge. For certain, when pressing both pistols to the wall and squeezing, the VP9 sear trips much earlier and easier than the P30SK Lite LEM.

Trigger Distance

The difference here is very dramatic. HK published data shows the trigger travel at 0.24", and this is what I measure exactly. I get almost 7/8" of travel on my P30SK, and the difference is very obvious between the two pistols.

Subjective Feel

The VP9 trigger feels very "quick", as you would expect with 1/4" of travel and just over 5 lbs. The P30SK LEM travels a long way, before getting to the wall, as it requires a very deliberate pull and press in order to release the hammer.

Oddly (or at least for me) the fact that one is a hammer and one is a striker, makes virtually no perceptible difference in 'feel'. For me anyway, I close my eyes and the sear release/hammer fall have just about the same impact on the web of my hand; just a little "click".

I feel almost the same in live fire; the only thing I've noticed is that (for some reason) I like the hammer much better - although this may be a psychological effect from watching the hammer fall out of the corner of my eye. I've shot "the test" (10 rounds/10 yards/10s on a B8) with both; and shot comparable scores with both.

I will also add some thoughts from the very first range session I had with the P30SK; this was the second LEM pistol I'd ever shot (first was a buddy's P2000SK last year):

I found the whole LEM trigger complexity was vastly overblown, for me. Pull trigger: gun go bang. It really seems pretty straightforward. Plus, if you decide you don't want to shoot, simply release trigger and index on slide. The break is easy to find, every time; I did not have any trouble shooting, even in rapid fire strings. My accuracy (for me) was astonishing; I found it very easy to get the sight on target, and hold it, without any of the whole "staple gun" feel I get with SFA actions. It was really a "wow" session.

Again, I'm no expert, but I've shot my VP9 a lot to know that, for games (USPSA, Steel), I think the short, quick trigger is a plus. For carry, though, having a trigger that is fairly long travel (almost four times as long) with slightly more trigger weight gives my lizard brain something to do during the trigger press. As in, do I really need to shoot this guy?

Also, having a hammer to thumb while holstering gives my lizard brain a belly rub. I also like the 7/8" of potential travel before something awkward happens. So between the hammer and long travel, for a carry gun, yeah, mo betta'. The VP9 short take up and lighter trigger, I dunno if I'd be that thrilled with carry, to be honest. So I don't.

As to going back and forth, I doubt if that would such a great idea for me. For where my experience level is "right now", it probably would be hard for me to be "as effective", in terms of those "split time" things that you guys in the know go on about. Here's an example of maybe why: Doing the comparison in trigger presses, holding both pistols in either hand, I squeezed both at the same time. The VP9 "clicked" unexpectedly. Meaning I had the dry practice equivalent of a ND. (NDP? ) So the VP9 lighter, shorter trigger might take a bit to get used to, after shooting the P30SK a while.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on VP9 vs. P30SK. HTH.

EDIT: I'm a lefty. Strike all after Good Morning.

Last edited by RJ; 12-30-2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: werds r hard

Just got the email that my P30sk was shipped! I opted for the LE LEM model. I wanted the night sights and extra mag. Paid $635 shipped from Buds. Really looking forward to picking it up and hitting the range. Merry Christmas to me .
    Last edited by JeffDG; 12-30-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Screwy Keyboard

Thanks for the reply Rich. I've found over time that I like a trigger with a lot of tactile feedback to it. I'm not going to do a good job of explaining what I mean by that but most striker guns don't have the feedback I prefer. The VP9 is an exception but I think that has more to do with the shape of the trigger and also how far forward it breaks.

I honestly haven't been able to find any negative feedback about the LEM P30sk. I'm intrigued by this little pistol but I'm really hesitant to buy something that I haven't had the opportunity to shoot. I think I'm going to expand my rental search radius and see if I can at least find a P30 with the light LEM to try first. I also think I'll wait to see if HK does anything crazy like release a VP9c at shot this year.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Thanks for the reply Rich. I've found over time that I like a trigger with a lot of tactile feedback to it. I'm not going to do a good job of explaining what I mean by that but most striker guns don't have the feedback I prefer. The VP9 is an exception but I think that has more to do with the shape of the trigger and also how far forward it breaks.

I honestly haven't been able to find any negative feedback about the LEM P30sk. I'm intrigued by this little pistol but I'm really hesitant to buy something that I haven't had the opportunity to shoot. I think I'm going to expand my rental search radius and see if I can at least find a P30 with the light LEM to try first. I also think I'll wait to see if HK does anything crazy like release a VP9c at shot this year.
    I gotcha. Totally understand needing a rental trial period. If you were any where close to Tampa, I'd be happy to drive and meet you somewhere to see/finger/shoot mine.

If there was one thing I'd probably prefer, it would be for a "slightly" (hard to quantify) heavier take-up on the LEM on mine. Don't get me wrong, it is fine stock, and as a carry gun, I'm not real crazy about modifying it. If I won the lottery, I'd get a P30 and take an armorer's course, then start fiddling around with springs and what not.

Definitely interested in what the mothership introduces at SHOT (if anything.) I gave up waiting for a VP9c a long while ago, and bought a Walther PPS M2. Liked it a lot, but wasn't thrilled with 6/7/8 round capacities. The back end of the striker thing that stuck out was a good thing, though. But I am still very glad I traded the M2 for the P30SK.

Much happier with a hammer for carry (for me), now that I know a bit more about shooting.

Good luck with your search!
    Last edited by RJ; 12-30-2016 at 06:38 PM.

User Tag List