Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition gets you killed on the streets.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. All you need to do is find THE RIGHT gun, and your problems are over.
    Only if you point it at your junk. Or OC. Or both, which I like to refer to as "pirate carry". OWB appendix, preferably with a sash and no holster. You ever see anyone fuck with pirates? No. Because right gun carried AOWB OC in a sash. Win.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Only if you point it at your junk. Or OC. Or both, which I like to refer to as "pirate carry". OWB appendix, preferably with a sash and no holster. You ever see anyone fuck with pirates? No. Because right gun carried AOWB OC in a sash. Win.
    I've never heard of a pirate being killed in the streets.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

There's a guy who works at a LGS who pirate carries, non retention holster too. But we all knew that.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    There's a guy who works at a LGS who pirate carries, non retention holster too. But we all knew that.
    Aarrggghh!!
    Last edited by El Cid; 11-01-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I wonder- do NASCAR drivers sit helplessly at the right turn on an intersection because of their competition scars?
    Apparently Casey Mears does...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgwKUW77Ibs
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    The disconnect in this thread is really interesting to me. Boiling it down, on the one hand, there's a group that says competition is a useful addition to the rest of a well-rounded practice regimen because, among other things, it subjects one to pressure while shooting and it allows one to measure certain important shooting skills both by objective standards and by reference to other shooters. On the other hand, VM says competition will inevitably set one up for a mindset failure. Sifting through VM's posts, it seems that the reason he's opposed to competition is because he expects that if someone competes, then all they will train for is competition, leading inevitably to ingraining habits that aren't optimized for a non-competition setting. But VM also says, I think, that training under pressure and measuring skills by comparison to real standards is important. It seems to me that the only real point of disagreement here is whether someone can compete without making that the raison d'etre for all of their shooting practice. There may also be some disagreement as to whether competition does, in fact equal shooting under pressure and measuring skills by objective standards, etc., but I can't really tell. Basically,

Name:  cool-hand-luke.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  30.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Aarrggghh!!

Why is she wearing a man's suit?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Now you are just parroting bad information that will gitcha kild.

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Just off the top of my head, Jim Cirillo, Pat McNamara, Vince O'Neill, and Frank Proctor come to mind as "tactical" guys who strongly advocate shooting competition.
    I would pay good money to be in the room when somebody has this conversation with Super Dave.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    ...He always said (and I adopted his saying) "We need thinkers who are shooters, and shooters who are thinkers."

I have never heard it put any better than that before or since.
    Paul Howe said this a few times during the class I took with him. I've repeated it often since that time, to myself and others as needed. It can't be stressed enough.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

User Tag List