Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Cop Who Took Down the Terrorist In Minnesota is a 3 Gunner, CCW Instructor

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    If I had the time, I'd totally hack a shot timer so you could replace the beep with "aloha snackbar" or another catchphrase of your choice.
    Those would sell like a mofo.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    It seems to be widely understood in MN that seeing that sign just means you make sure not to print.
    True in most places as far as I can tell... has been my policy for years.

The Cop Who Took Down the Terrorist In Minnesota is a 3 Gunner, CCW Instructor

This may be a separate thread, but let's say (completely hypothetically of course) you needed to go somewhere, wanted to be armed but needed as close to zero chance as possible of being made. Options for dressing around the gun are also limited.

I've never used a smart carry but it seems like it would be a little deeper concealed than pocket carrying. Assume a j frame in both cases. Am I on the right track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mitch; 09-20-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    This may be a separate thread, but let's say (completely hypothetically of course) you needed to go somewhere, wanted to be armed but needed as close to zero chance as possible of being made. Options for dressing around the gun are also limited.

I've never used a smart carry but it seems like it would be a little deeper concealed than pocket carrying. Assume a j frame in both cases. Am I on the right track?

Smart Carry is wonderful for deep concealment of a smaller handgun like a J frame. No one will be able to tell you are carrying. Its hard to get a solid draw from that holster depending on what you are wearing. Practice of course makes it better.

Quote Originally Posted by chiral View Post
    Smart Carry is wonderful for deep concealment of a smaller handgun like a J frame. No one will be able to tell you are carrying. Its hard to get a solid draw from that holster depending on what you are wearing. Practice of course makes it better.
    Or a G26 with a G19 spare mag.
    Last edited by justcor; 09-20-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    Match results are in:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  27.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post

I've carried a P2000SK in a smart carry wearing shorts. IMO, a High Noon Mr. Softy (or similar) is more comfortable, easier on/off, easier to draw. If you absolutely cannot hide the belt clip (untucked shirt) then a smart carry is not bad as a last resort.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    IANAL but a situation where a property owner, via state law, can trump an individuals's inalienable right to self defense with a mere sign sounds pretty dubious.

Reference please.
    IAAL.

A private property owner can, generally speaking, limit who may enter his property and under what conditions those people may do so.

Your "inalienable right to self defense" does not trump a private property owners setting out the terms and conditions under which you may enter his property.

If a private property owner says "No Guns" on his premises and you ignore him, you are trespassing and therefore in a place you do not have the right to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    IAAL.

A private property owner can, generally speaking, limit who may enter his property and under what conditions those people may do so.

Your "inalienable right to self defense" does not trump a private property owners setting out the terms and conditions under which you may enter his property.

If a private property owner says "No Guns" on his premises and you ignore him, you are trespassing and therefore in a place you do not have the right to be.
    I never did understand this... really.

I'd agree with the above when "Private Property Owner" = "Homeowner", however, when "Private Property Owner" = "Commercial Business Premises", it seems to me that the law already imposes many restrictions on what is allowed and not allowed on those premises, regardless of the opinion of the owner (discrimination laws, employment/labor laws, handicap access/parking, every imaginable type of licensing, etc, etc, ad infinitum). Why is it that a right protected by the Constitution is not included in the list of things a business owner cannot prohibit? Total BS.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

GA law requires specific and individualized notice for criminal trespass purposes. I have not been able to find a single court case where the mere presence of a sign constituted such specific and individualized notice under my state's law. I suppose that if the prosecution could prove that a person read such a sign, understood such a sign, and then willfully ignored such a sign that a valid legal argument could be made; however, if the response is "What sign?" there is simply no case for criminal trespass. If a person carries into an establishment posted as "no firearms", it is not a violation of our carry laws. If they refuse to leave after being told to do so by an authorized representative of the property.

I fully realize that the law in other states is different.

GA statutory law (16-11-138 OCGA) also states that if a person who is carrying illegally uses their firearm in lawful defense of self or others that they have an absolute defense against the carry law violation.

Again, I fully realize that the law in other states is different.

As for private property rights, I have the absolute right to restrict access to my property for any reason. I have the absolute right to restrict access to my property for no reason at all. Then again, my property isn't open to the public.

I did once bar all employees of a certain publication from my property after they woke me up from Sunday afternoon nap by knocking on my door and trying to sell me a subscription for the umpteenth time. It was one of my finer moments. I chased down the van carrying all of the "college students trying to earn some money" (none of which had an actual college ID) so that they could all be served specific and individualized notice.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List