Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: EDC folders

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    That folder needs a wave.

If you want an ugly but functional one...let me know. I haven't butchered a knife in years...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    That folder needs a wave.

If you want an ugly but functional one...let me know. I haven't butchered a knife in years...
    I tried.
    The steel in this knife (154CM) made a mockery of my attempts to score it with a bastard file.
    Look close at the photo just above the "H" on the blade and you can see the slightest scratch... that scratch took me 5 minutes of sweaty work with a big ass file to make.
    The only way would be to go "gunsmith" on it with a Dremel but I'm afraid the blade steel is so hard that making a cut would heat it too much.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-30-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Jody,

I think you can make it work. Here's a picture of a Benchmade Griptilian I cut on using a Dremel and cutoff wheel. The blade is 154cm. I put the knife in a vise mounted on a workbench. I cut very slowly with the cutoff wheel. I cut a small amount, felt the area I was cutting and once it was warm to the touch, removed the knife from the vise and cooled it in a cup of water, put the knife back in the vise and repeated until I was done.

As far as I understand it (be warned, I read a couple of knifemaking books years ago and have now forgotten a lot of what I read = total amateur), you must not heat the blade enough to cause a color change, which is what will ruin the temper of the steel, and that level of heat is way too hot to touch with the naked hand. So, just go slow and don't let it get too hot to touch...

[IMG] 154cm_Dremel_Cut by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

Site Supporter
    Daily carry for the last 3 years has been a Blackhawk Crucible. Although I did just order a ZT 0350 to try out.

User Tag List