Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Accuracy at Longer Ranges

I probably shouldn't have even said anything lol. I shoot with a target focus. I'm either a rare person who can do it, or all the other people who can do it default to "front sight good, target focus bad" and fight to do the front sight thing. I shoot every shot with a target focus, I fought it for a long time but have now embraced it and am doing fine. I don't think it hinders me at all.
    Last edited by Luke; 09-07-2016 at 12:13 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I probably shouldn't have even said anything lol. I shoot with a target focus. I'm either a rare person who can do it, or all the other people who can do it default to "front sight good, target focus bad" and fight to do the front sight thing. I shoot every shot with a target focus, I fought it for a long time but have now embraced it and am doing fine. I don't think it hinders me at all.
    So your focus is on the target and you align the sights with your peripheral vision for lack of a better term? The sights are blurry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

That is correct

Came back to clarify. I DONT use a SHARP focus on anything. I see my front fiber and use it as a red dot optic and put it in the spot I want to destroy. I can see the target more clearly than I can see the front sight but I'm not like death focusing on the target.
    Last edited by Luke; 09-07-2016 at 12:53 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I was doing some 125 yard shooting with a Glock with a tritium dot on the front. I put the top of the front sight at the neck of the silhouette target and lowered the top of the rear sight to be even with the middle of the dot and got decent hits. It's trial and error. You'll want front sight focus when you pull the trigger, but you might switch back and forth while lining up the shot.

What is your hold at 25? Do you drive the dot or POI slightly above the sights?

Curious because what you described for 125 is close to my 300 yard hold with g19. Tip of front sight splitting target elevation wise, rear held 2/3 down the dot in the front sight. My POI is an inch or two above the front at 25 yards with normal tops even hold.

I think I target focus or switch back and forth from target to front sight as Im doing it at distance. Not 100% positive. The Merit device helps get focus on both ends of the spectrum if you have time to use it.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-07-2016 at 12:56 PM.

That is correct

Came back to clarify. I DONT use a SHARP focus on anything. I see my front fiber and use it as a red dot optic and put it in the spot I want to destroy. I can see the target more clearly than I can see the front sight but I'm not like death focusing on the target.
    I was just talking about that...... sounds so familiar.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    What is your hold at 25? Do you drive the dot or POI slightly above the sights?

Curious because what you described for 125 is close to my 300 yard hold with g19. Tip of front sight splitting target elevation wise, rear held 2/3 down the dot in the front sight. My POI is an inch or two above the front at 25 yards with normal tops even hold.

I think I target focus or switch back and forth from target to front sight as Im doing it at distance. Not 100% positive. The Merit device helps get focus on both ends of the spectrum if you have time to use it.
    With that Glock I drive the dot. I used to shoot the top of the sights, but it turns out that I need to drive the dot with this pistol because of the sight set it has. I went to the optometrist today and I need to get new glasses. Who knows what will happen then.

I shot some target focus 50 yard stuff last night and it went very well. What is this front sight focus you speak of.
    Luke, you shoot that rare Unicorn. The rest of us have to use sights. LOL

Ah, OK. That makes sense in that light.

You should be able to get different height sights to adjust elevation POI if desired.

That is correct

I don't know for sure but I have a hunch that Frank Proctor operates at that level. We didn't get into that in the two days my younger son and I spent with him but that was focused on basic rifle markmanship, close range carbine stuff and then basic pistol. He didn't go all mystic on vision with us. But in some things I've read/heard from him on video re vision . . .

Ben S also encouraged people to try target focus out for 25 yard precision and noted "you might be suprised". Quite a tease. I tried it with disasterous result. LOL
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ah, OK. That makes sense in that light.

You should be able to get different height sights to adjust elevation POI if desired.
    Name:  Warren Front.JPG
Views: 419
Size:  91.0 KB

I am using the .140" wide Warren front that has the big white circle around the tritium dot. With my vision I can see it well in more different lighting conditions than any other sight I have tried. And I've tried a lot. It only comes in .215" tall, which hits too high for me, or it comes in .245" tall which hits behind the dot. Maybe this will all change when I get my new glasses.

User Tag List