Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't think an AR is the answer....

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Digiroc View Post
    Right next to my home I park my work related vehicles and two storage trailers with thousands of dollars worth of Stihl chainsaws stored inside so I may be venturing outside my home with one of my light equipped long guns if I hear someone breaking into my trailers or vehicles.
    Do you know how many chainsaws you could buy for the price of one acquittal?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Regarding cruiser ready - what Beattrash said. ^^^

I also noted this in Digiroc's post:

Sending my dog out is sadly no longer an option. The wife's dog is good for hearing things outside that I may not, but hardly effective in scaring someone away.
    You don't send your dog anyplace you are not planning / willing to follow. Unless you're an asshole and you're sending your dog on a suicide mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    ... I read "hive mind" as "general consensus". Perhaps he thinks we collectively (who seemingly can't agree on anything) are all full of shit.
    Quite so, no slur intended. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and when a consensus is formed from those opinions it's probably valid. I'm not defending my opinions as the only true way, I'm only expressing my way of thinking.

Digiroc

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    ... You don't send your dog anyplace you are not planning / willing to follow. Unless you're an asshole and you're sending your dog on a suicide mission.
    Dillinger (I called him "Buckethead") was a gentle giant (130lbs) with the look of a junkyard dog. "Sending him out" meant to greet a visitor, not to attack them. After smelling you he would lean against you to get petted.

Digiroc

Site Supporter
    Insurance is your friend as is staying inside. My favorite going outside for property story in San Antonio was a guy whose car wad being broken into. He ran outside with his hunting bow (probably watching Green Arrow show) and was shot dead.

OK so I watched the video at 1:33 he said "You would be surprised how little it takes for one of these to go off" .. OK I'll bite. How "Little" does it take? He was referring to no firing pin/hammer block

This is a video about how to keep a shotgun in a home defense situation:

Considering a fully loaded (and round chambered) shotgun to be unsafe I keep my shotgun in "Crusier Ready" condition just as suggested in the video. I do depress the slide release and bring the bolt down about an inch to make racking a round into the chamber a fumble free experience.

I'm willing to make the racking sound a non verbal warning and possible deterrent to less than dedicated home invaders. Chasing someone away being preferable to actually shooting them.

Of course YMMV and what works for me is different than what the hive mind here recommends. I have other options as well, three laser equipped handguns in 9mm, .45, and .357 and laser and light equipped long guns in 6.72 x 39, (a Ruger mini30) as well as a Sig MCX in 300blk. Once I have a suppresser for the Sig I expect it to take over for the shotgun for my perceived home defense needs.

Right next to my home I park my work related vehicles and two storage trailers with thousands of dollars worth of Stihl chainsaws stored inside so I may be venturing outside my home with one of my light equipped long guns if I hear someone breaking into my trailers or vehicles.

Sending my dog out is sadly no longer an option. The wife's dog is good for hearing things outside that I may not, but hardly effective in scaring someone away.

Digiroc
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    OK so I watched the video at 1:33 he said "You would be surprised how little it takes for one of these to go off" .. OK I'll bite. How "Little" does it take? He was referring to no firing pin/hammer block
    Remington uses a different (more stout) sear spring in their police guns than in their conventional 870's.

FWIW, we carry our 870's hammer back and safety on. This requires that you hit the action bar release prior to cycling the action. This was done after a number of folks failed to check the chamber before releasing the hammer for a more conventional cruiser ready.
    Last edited by John Hearne; 07-16-2016 at 07:47 PM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Dillinger (I called him "Buckethead") was a gentle giant (130lbs) with the look of a junkyard dog. "Sending him out" meant to greet a visitor, not to attack them. After smelling you he would lean against you to get petted.

Digiroc
    I good dog is perhaps the best home defense. When Dillinger was alive I gave little thought to having my shotgun handy:
    So which is it? Is he a replacement for a shotgun or a gentle giant? Either way, I wouldn't send him out alone.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So which is it? Is he a replacement for a shotgun or a gentle giant? Either way, I wouldn't send him out alone.
    It's a Mexican carried 3" 1911.

Boom. Headshot.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I saw the aftermath of a load of buckshot going through the roof and light bar of a USBP Bronco years ago after an 870 was left in the rack with a round chambered. The claim was it went off by itself during rough off-roading. I have no idea if was an actual slam fire or if something actually got into the trigger guard.

I have seen a slam fire in an M-4 demo'ed at an armorers course. The instructor chambered a primed case and was able to get it to fire via a hard impact to the butt stock.

User Tag List