Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why did you become an officer?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I know two different UC guys that, if they hadn't become cops, probably would have become criminals. I guess that aspect of their character was useful in that line of work.
    I think the outsider would be surprised at how close in general personality the cop and the the criminal often are. The difference is the motivation, such as the desire to protect vs harm, the good of society vs the selfish...but in other regards the line is pretty thin.

My grandfather Alexis Butler, and great uncle George Sharp, were Sheriff's in the county I grew up, (http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual...ml/00list.html). Both continued to serve after their terms as Sheriff. Watching them interact with the community was a huge influence on me. When I was 7 years old my brother had a seizure, and stopped breathing. My mother grabbed him, ran to the car, her friend drove, trying to get to the Easton, MD general hospital. I have no idea how fast we were going, but my mom's car was a '65 Galaxy 500 powered by a 427 with dual carbs, I can remember her popping the front wheels off the ground so that car would move. Of course we were stopped after blasting through a speed trap. The officer figured out what was up, put my mom, brother and me in his squad, then ran code to the hospital. He carried my brother into the hospital yelling for a doctor. The staff took my mom back with my brother, and that officer stayed with me in the waiting area until my mom's friend got there. He stayed a little longer, bought me a coke, and kept telling me everything would be okay, then he had to go.

Right then, right there I knew what I wanted to do.

...live uneventful lives.
    There are no guarantees in life, and I accept that we can die at any time for any reason, but that right there, that scares me.

User Tag List