Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yoga for LE

Yoga for LE

http://www.wsj.com/articles/police-o...ter-1467044595

snippet:

Officer Quinn has also used yoga breathing techniques to warm her body while working outside in cold weather and to remain calm on the way to a stressful job. She says she has noticed a difference in her interactions with people since she started practicing yoga.

“I feel like with this job, a lot of the time we can let someone else’s energy intrude and take over,” Officer Quinn says. “We meet the energy that we are met with. So I was like, ‘Wow, that person I was able to handle really calmly. I was able to get compliance in a way that I hadn’t gotten before.’ ”
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have been on a (for me) outstanding regimen of body-weight type training for the past year and a half. I'm up to three times a week of high intensity PX90 style workouts which sometimes incorporate yoga movements in the workout. All the workouts end with a yoga style stretching routine.

It quite literally has taken me from the typical mid-40's overweight cop with back problems to a relatively fit mid-40's dude who can move without pain. Body shape has changed quite a bit, but the scale reads the same Huge bonus points for being able to tie my shoes without losing my breath though!

So anyways, yeah, two thumbs up for this kind of fitness. When winter returns I was planning on adding at least one full yoga session a week.

Big fan.

Getting more flexible helps with getting old.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

We have a few of those types.

One or two ultra-crossfitters, some yoga-types and mostly big lifter types that I work with.

The yoga types are pretty much hands off on all things requiring "force," which is kinda sad. Nothing saying there is a correlation, just pointing out my experience...

Site Supporter
    Voodoo man is looking at this all wrong.

I took some yoga classes a few years ago when I was trying to improve my position rifle shooting, particularly my flexibility to have more stable positions in kneeling and sitting.

Like math, yoga is a lot more fun when you know you're using it to improve your efficiency for killing people.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    We have a few of those types.

One or two ultra-crossfitters, some yoga-types and mostly big lifter types that I work with.

The yoga types are pretty much hands off on all things requiring "force," which is kinda sad. Nothing saying there is a correlation, just pointing out my experience...
    Something tells me the focal point of this "article" isn't a tough beat cop.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I took some yoga classes a few years ago when I was trying to improve my position rifle shooting, particularly my flexibility to have more stable positions in kneeling and sitting.

Like math, yoga is a lot more fun when you know you're using it to improve your efficiency for killing people.
    ...I'm always open to making myself more capable, by all means, please explain how yoga will make me....more efficient?

If all the benefit is that you gain flexibility then BJJ does that with a good helping of stretching...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    ...I'm always open to making myself more capable, by all means, please explain how yoga will make me....more efficient?

If all the benefit is that you gain flexibility then BJJ does that with a good helping of stretching...
    Stress relief is a benefit...but then again, I shoot for that...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Everything is more fun when you realize the fighting applications. I could have been a math whiz in grade school if they taught things in terms of ballistics and blowing things up...

Different strokes for different folks. If it relaxes or relieves the crappy aching parts of you more power to you.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Something tells me the focal point of this "article" isn't a tough beat cop.
    The WSJ has a regular section entitled "What's your workout," and this is an article in that section. Here are the first two paragraphs:

Colleen Quinn was used to being aggressive when she worked out. An 11-year veteran of the New York Police Department, Officer Quinn played basketball and lacrosse in college and was accustomed to bruises and ice packs. The one yoga class she’d tried about seven years ago was too slow.

But about five years ago, a friend dragged her to another class. This time, the instructor was doing handstands and some of the moves she’d watched break dancers do on TV. Officer Quinn was hooked and soon was attending yoga classes six times a week.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List