Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Targets

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Don't aim at the mouth!!! Teeth can be quite hard and a significant barrier on par with laminated windshields...

It is pretty freaking simple, aim here:

I would like to see multiples of this "head target" on 18" x 24" or 24" x 35". I would also like to see it downloadable for printing on a 8.5 x 11, 1 per page. Thanks, Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    I would like to see multiples of this "head target" on 18" x 24" or 24" x 35". I would also like to see it downloadable for printing on a 8.5 x 11, 1 per page. Thanks, Doc
    VTAC seems legit.
    http://www.vikingtactics.com/product...c-dstt-100.htm

Name:  VTAC-P-1.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  50.3 KB
    Last edited by GRV; 06-10-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: link

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Roger that, I have some of those.

Honestly, the thing I'd be fussy about is reproducing dimensions in the print/file. So if you have some VTAC targets, I'd cut one of those up and photocopy the head. Maybe scan it to PDF. I think that should preserve the print size, but someone with more design experience would know better.

Optimal Incapacitation Target 5.pdf

Try this printed on legal size paper, it gives everything that is needed for training...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 06-10-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    The thing about that type of target is that I rarely encountered anyone that had that kind of posture in a gunfight.
    What I did find is that I was shooting at something that had a specific size (minimal requirement) for satisfactory result.
    Optimally, I don't think that we really need to worry about group sizes on person shaped targets, but rather trying to hit a target that was covered by a human shaped piece of concealment.
    Consistent reference points/landmarks tend to be shoulders, head, and the eyes, with little regard to a vertical stance.
    Consider these:

(Sorry Mike, just a good example)

Other good references are helmet cam footage of gunfights and pretty much anything analogous (airsoft, sims, paintball, etc).

I think that it is most important to know what size the real target is, and where it is.
    That is, once comfortable with the concept.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 06-10-2016 at 02:41 PM.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    My first week at Cook County Hospital the cops brought a guy into the ER with an entry wound in the middle of his forehead and an exit wound out the back of his head. He was in cuffs because he beat nearly to death the guy who shot him with a .38 Special. His chief complaint was "my fucking head hurts". A lateral skull film (I have a photo somewhere) showed lead deposits from entry to exit, along the top of his very thick skull, under the skin. Cops said the bullets in the gun were LRN.
    Which is the round you can trace most skull failures to that we hear about.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Optimal Incapacitation Target 5.pdf

Try this printed on legal size paper, it gives everything that is needed for training...
    Thanks for posting this, Doc! Gonna use it

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    As far as the chest triangle goes, it should be from the sternal notch to the nipples, not the armpits as that may miss the bulk of the heart.
    The heart is just a big muscle and can close up around holes punched in it. Maybe not perfectly, but I want the guy to bleed out, not die from the effects of cardiac tamponade. If you clip the vessels above the heart, they won't self-seal and there is no sac to contain the blood - just void to fill up. IIRC, the Memphis record holder for gun shot wounds to the heart with survival is six rounds.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    The heart is just a big muscle and can close up around holes punched in it. Maybe not perfectly, but I want the guy to bleed out, not die from the effects of cardiac tamponade. If you clip the vessels above the heart, they won't self-seal and there is no sac to contain the blood - just void to fill up. IIRC, the Memphis record holder for gun shot wounds to the heart with survival is six rounds.
    Thanks, John! I was very much wondering about this.

User Tag List