Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Switched to Double Action Semi-Autos --- Lucky Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    But you have not taught him about Sushi--even sushi that comes cooked.
    I am betting when it comes to advanced training like sushi, I am betting d'wayne follows the Louis Awerbuck philosophy of "there is no such thing as an advanced gunfight," or dinner.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Do you know what to focus on in training???
    The front sight?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am betting when it comes to advanced training like sushi, I am betting d'wayne follows the Louis Awerbuck philosophy of "there is no such thing as an advanced gunfight," or dinner.
    As a many generation native Texan, I was taught many truths. One of those truths is that if one has a fish and intends to eat said fish, you clean it and COOK it. If one simply cleans and then CUTS up said fish without cooking the fish, it is called BAIT and is NOT to be eaten by humans. Therefore, sushi is BAIT and should not be eaten by humans.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

As a many generation native Texan, I was taught many truths. One of those truths is that if one has a fish and intends to eat said fish, you clean it and COOK it. If one simply cleans and then CUTS up said fish without cooking the fish, it is called BAIT and is NOT to be eaten by humans. Therefore, sushi is BAIT and should not be eaten by humans.
    Sushi is bait. It catches me every time. When i was single, it caught a lot of chicks too.:-)

Site Supporter
    Even HEB has a sushi bar. The bait refrain should be written on Word Perfect using a DOS machine. Sorry, Wayne. BTW, the gunslingers of the Pacific Northwest were great sushi fans back in the 80's. Went to a 2nd Amend. conference in WA state - and they took us out for sushi!

Now back to DA/SA.

Site Supporter
    This confusion between bait and food has caused a nearly unrecoverable rift between my brother and I. He lives in Seattle, where he and his Japanese wife can get sushi. I live in the desert where there is little danger of me having to choke him out for trying to make me eat bait.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    You should never shoot a TDA this way. All group shooting should be 6 shots, DA/SA de-cock, DA/SA, de-cock, DA/SA de-cock.

This will pay huge dividends on your DA ability, and remove the concept of a "transition" from DA to SA. When people talk about the difficulty of the DA shot, or the difficulty of the transition, what they really almost always mean is that they really haven't put in the work, or don't understand what work to put in, or are just repeating junk they heard from other people who don't know.
    This. When I was carrying a DA/SA gun it was during a time when I was also shooting a thousand rounds a week, and almost all of it was DA/SA pairs of .45acp. My hands are paying for it now, but I could shoot the DA/SA well, and proved against a lot of high end Glock shooters at the time. Read what SLG wrote, as it is really the key to being good with the DA/SA guns.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What is funny, is I have had to sit through the Wayne Dobbs advanced course on "Minner" selection at the local roadside store and bait shop during my crash course in being a Texan, yet he refuses to relent on the Sushi. He just can't get past that one. We will likely take a tour of SoCal cop food places instead to get his advanced rating without doing Sushi. Figure a Hollenbeck Burrito, Langers #19, Philipps, the Pantry, and a Tommy's chile burger should get him there without the Sushi.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    You should never shoot a TDA this way. All group shooting should be 6 shots, DA/SA de-cock, DA/SA, de-cock, DA/SA de-cock.

This will pay huge dividends on your DA ability, and remove the concept of a "transition" from DA to SA. When people talk about the difficulty of the DA shot, or the difficulty of the transition, what they really almost always mean is that they really haven't put in the work, or don't understand what work to put in, or are just repeating junk they heard from other people who don't know.
    This improved my TDA shooting faster than anything else I've tried. Specifically, I use two strings of fire quite a bit:

1. Target is a horizontal 3x5 card at seven yards. Start from low ready or from the holster. At the beep, present the gun and fire two shots (first shot DA, second SA). Decock and holster. Mark any misses and repeat.

2. Targets are two horizontal 3x5 cards placed two or three inches apart at seven yards. Start from low ready or from the holster. At the beep, present the gun and fire one DA shot at the first 3x5 card and the second SA shot at the second 3x5 card. Decock and holster. Mark any misses and repeat.

I use a timer as a start signal, but don't generally worry about time. It's about seeing the sights, calling the shots, and working the trigger.

Pro tip: If you don't have a 3x5 card or a pistol-training target handy, trace an outline from a 50-round box of ammo. It's close enough.

If a 3x5 is too challenging, use a 4x6. If the 3x5 is too easy, fold the card in half.

I got these from ToddG, but I don't see them specifically listed on pistol-training.com.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    This improved my TDA shooting faster than anything else I've tried. Specifically, I use two strings of fire quite a bit:

1. Target is a horizontal 3x5 card at seven yards. Start from low ready or from the holster. At the beep, present the gun and fire two shots (first shot DA, second SA). Decock and holster. Mark any misses and repeat.

2. Targets are two horizontal 3x5 cards placed two or three inches apart at seven yards. Start from low ready or from the holster. At the beep, present the gun and fire one DA shot at the first 3x5 card and the second SA shot at the second 3x5 card. Decock and holster. Mark any misses and repeat.

I use a timer as a start signal, but don't generally worry about time. It's about seeing the sights, calling the shots, and working the trigger.

Pro tip: If you don't have a 3x5 card or a pistol-training target handy, trace an outline from a 50-round box of ammo. It's close enough.

If a 3x5 is too challenging, use a 4x6. If the 3x5 is too easy, fold the card in half.

I got these from ToddG, but I don't see them specifically listed on pistol-training.com.
    I was liking these drills before I finished reading them, as Todd and I used to do them a lot. Then I saw that you got them from Todd. Made me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I remember well the studies mentioned by Tamara (one by an US agency, other european), I'll post them if I can find them.
    Has anyone by chance found these? Even since I first read something by ToddG mentioning it (it was in a comment thread relating to something he posted his blog long ago) I've been looking for them, or anything like them, and I can't find anything.

If anyone can post these studies (regarding trigger length or trigger weight and safety) I'd REALLY appreciate it.

User Tag List