Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Charged for NFA Violation

A 7.5" SBR with no sights and a tacicool para cord wrapped hand guard AND wrapped magazine. Because that 550 cord could save your life in an EOTWAWKI scenario, and iron sights are useless. The SBR speaks volumes.

It is wrong to racially profile, but profiling based on gun type can be pretty telling....
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Is that the weapon in question? Because seriously. Loose in the back of a vehicle, wearing a stock, with the safety off and loaded?
    And rusty,too.

Is that seriously the rifle in question. Even to my non NFA trained and experienced eye that is an M4 stock on a teeny barrel which means he is really stupid. At the onset of reading the OP I actually felt sorry for the guy. I was thinking that they guy had 2 rifles in the trunk and was being charged in the idiotic constructive possession crap. Heck is as even thinking that he deserved some slack maybe for using 2 lowers to debug a shorty upper and maybe forgot to swap back the pistol lower. By the looked of the rusted ASAP I'm betting that the assembly was in that trunk for a while. His gofundme claims are also very telling. Not that I don't do it, made a mistake and assembled the wrong parts ... No the gov didn't get the $200 I knew they wanted so it's not my fault.

Lumping this into the play stupid games win stupid prizes category.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Though it has been said before....it bears repeating.

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

As someone who is denied NFA goodies based on state, I'm not sure if the genius in question lives in a "free-er state", but if so, I think its totally dumb that if he were allowed to get the stamp, and didn't and was then busted for it....

...well time to take his lumps like a man. He made the call, full well knowing the risks, so I have little sympathy and even less money for his GoFundme

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
    AR is indeed an NFA "free state" so all he needed was a trust and $ 200 or an actual pistol lower.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Is that seriously the rifle in question. Even to my non NFA trained and experienced eye that is an M4 stock on a teeny barrel which means he is really stupid. At the onset of reading the OP I actually felt sorry for the guy. I was thinking that they guy had 2 rifles in the trunk and was being charged in the idiotic constructive possession crap. Heck is as even thinking that he deserved some slack maybe for using 2 lowers to debug a shorty upper and maybe forgot to swap back the pistol lower. By the looked of the rusted ASAP I'm betting that the assembly was in that trunk for a while. His gofundme claims are also very telling. Not that I don't do it, made a mistake and assembled the wrong parts ... No the gov didn't get the $200 I knew they wanted so it's not my fault.

Lumping this into the play stupid games win stupid prizes category.
    1) The suspect did NOT have two complete guns. Assuming, hypothetically he had both a legit AR pistol and a legit 16" AR rifle you would not have constructive possession. The pistol lower provides legal reason for possession of a short barrel upper or uppers.

2) Just to clarify - people keep harping on whether the stock was installed on the M-4 buffer tube - taking a stock off an M-4 buffer tube DOES NOT render it an AR pistol. Pistol specific buffer tubes, without provision for attaching a stock exist for a reason.

SIG brace AR "pistols" may be ridiculous but they are like a paper bag over a bottle of alcohol, the difference between breaking the law and at least perfunctory respect for the law.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-01-2016 at 10:57 PM.

". . . constructive possession . . . "

Last edited by DMF13; 06-02-2016 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

Most people don't know what it really means...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

It's used in this context to mean something other than the ability to exercise dominion and control over an item. There is case law calling an unassembled short upper and lower "constructive possession" of an SBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Agree on the first part, agree on the second part, then on the third part you decided to jump up and down on your own dick while wearing football cleats.
    OUCH!! That'll leave a mark. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    There is case law calling an unassembled short upper and lower "constructive possession" of an SBR.
    Really? What case is that? If it exists, it directly contradicts SCOTUS case law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...Center_Arms_Co.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List