Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: MRO vs. RMR for carbine?

Quote Originally Posted by CWR View Post
    What mount are you running on the RMR?
    samson mfg ram mount

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    samson mfg ram mount
    Thanks.

Just got a new MRO yesterday, couldn't turn it down at the price. The factory mount is a tad low for me though, looking for something about 1/4 inch taller and QD, anyone have any recommendations?
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I kind of avoided this due to my work with Aimpoint. With that said, I am very familiar with lots of optics, have used many of them operationally and see a ton based on the work I do. It is rare to hear me say anything negative about Trijicon, as they make great products and the ACOG is one of my favorite mid-range optics. Essentially, as soon as we get out of red dot range, I like the ACOG. Some stuff does need to get dispelled.

When the SRS came out it was the Comp M4 killer.........it wasn't. Good optic and I would take one over an E/O tech, but not an M4 killer.
    When the MRO was released, it was the Micro Aimpoint killer........sorry folks, it isn't. Over an E/O tech....all day. Over a T2, only if price was my only criteria.

Every experienced Aimpoint user I have talked to has a mirror experience to mine.....when you look through the MRO with both eyes open and focused on the target like you are supposed to be with these things, it seems distorted and slightly magnified giving an annoying fisheye effect. Close an eye or keep a hard focus on the MRO dot, not as bad.....but that is not optimal use. Also, as far as Aimpoint not being technically advancing. Wrong. The size of the electrical connections inside a T2 are significantly bigger than those of previous Micro's. They have helicoiled the screw holes and done a huge improvement on the glass........it didn't make it cheaper...sorry, but I think JAD would be impressed with the electronics, which you can't see. There is not a breakage issue with battery connections. We got it right the first time around and improved them with the T2. We also have recoil lugs. I have not seen an MRO off the mount, but it doesn't appear to have any....we'll see if it is an issue.

So.......buy what you want. Decide how much certain performance features and internal construction is worth to you. Decide from there. A lot of people are saying the MRO is "just as good as a T2" but for a lot less money. I have heard this before with other things.........usually isn't the case.
    How about the rheostat knob? Has it been beefed up on the t2 to make it a more durable component to trauma or abuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    Just got a new MRO yesterday, couldn't turn it down at the price. The factory mount is a tad low for me though, looking for something about 1/4 inch taller and QD, anyone have any recommendations?
    I have this one:

https://scalarworks.com/optic-mounts/ldm-mro/

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    Scalarworks LDM/MRO.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    How about the rheostat knob? Has it been beefed up on the t2 to make it a more durable component to trauma or abuse?
    Not that I can tell, but not sure about the internals. It still has play like the other micros specifically to take impact. I have never personally had an issue breaking one, never seen one break, and have not seen a huge issue with it or handled any complaints for places that issue them in large numbers. Have I seen ones that have been broken, yep. Usually took a blow that would break everyone else's, or injure the user so badly that it would not be much of an issue. Others have been damaged, but the Sint continued to function. If we were replacing a ton in warranty, changes would be made, but the numbers are not there that I am aware of.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Not that I can tell, but not sure about the internals. It still has play like the other micros specifically to take impact. I have never personally had an issue breaking one, never seen one break, and have not seen a huge issue with it or handled any complaints for places that issue them in large numbers. Have I seen ones that have been broken, yep. Usually took a blow that would break everyone else's, or injure the user so badly that it would not be much of an issue. Others have been damaged, but the Sint continued to function. If we were replacing a ton in warranty, changes would be made, but the numbers are not there that I am aware of.
    Roger that. Aimpoont just replaced one for an officer because of that. Weapon flew out of the trunk during a wreck. The rest of the sight looked good, and still worked, but the rheostat knob was buggered and wouldn't retain the cap or battery. Saw it on my Facebook feed from P&S or the like. The rheostat failing to work (brightness is high and low onoy, basically, during the failures I ha e heard of) is the only failure I've ever heard of except a buddy of mine who's just died while shooting. Random one in a million, his. (T1). That, or the rheostat knob comes off when the rifle is dropped or otherwise suffers trauma. I always viewed it as a weak spot as it literally covers an entire axis of the optic and it made me nervous how it wiggles and flexes. But yiu say the play is to absorb shock? Normal?

My first ap was a comp m4, and the knob seemed super protected.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 04-25-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I own a couple carbines, one has a MRO and the other had an Eotech. One day on a whim I swapped my Eotech for my RMR that was orphaned when I sold one of my sidearms. I decided to give the RMR a fair shot and bought a ADM RMR-CO (quick release/absolute co witness, as this carbine has a FSB I refuse to remove) Anyway that RMR, as ridiculous as it looked a carbine, grew on me. Every time I pull it out I shake my head, but I can't stop using it. Now my Eotech is very sad these days. When the RMR's tritium is depleted in 10 years, I'll reunite him back on a rifle.

PS That Scalarworks mount is pretty awesome, never seen one before, if it performs as well as it looks, I'm buying one for sure. Thanks for posting that link, Texasaggie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Larue has a QD, lighter than ADM.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

User Tag List