Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Switched to Double Action Semi-Autos --- Lucky Gunner

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Ny1 triggers are pretty long. I distinctly remember thinking several times "when is this thing going to go off?"
    o.O

I don't see how it alters the length of travel any?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    So then "sometimes" the gun flags you.

I just stuck an empty zero cant holster into my appendix area (even pretended I had a big wedge on the bottom) and no matter where I placed it I covered something while seated. It's comfortable for me, but for some reason it gets a pass?

It just seems contradictory when videos like this come out how to make it.. "Safe-ish."

Am I wrong? I like it, I'm confident in myself, just on the fence.
    I'm not sure about the "safe-ish" part. I'm probably forgetting something from earlier form this thread. Squirrel!

When I was starting out in the firearms world, it was understood that a gun in a case or a gun rug or a holster was "safe." That's not to say that you should treat them casually, but that if the trigger guard was effectively covered and someone couldn't simply shoot the gun with one motion, then it was not the same as simply handling a gun. I try to control the muzzle as much as possible, even when guns are in rugs or cases, but as I said in one of my earlier posts about weapons handling, I TRY to be as a safe as possible, and follow the four rules as closely as possible. Being human, in human situations, means that will never happen perfectly. I don't think carrying a gun on you is the safest thing you can do with a gun, it has some inherent risk. AIWB, for me, does not pose greater risk than many other positions. Any kind of shoulder holster is much worse, and even hip holsters can be bad under specific situations. Just like AIWB.

I'm not sure where all the controversy comes from, but like I said, I may be forgetting something or mixing threads at this point too.
    Last edited by SLG; 05-27-2016 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    o.O

I don't see how it alters the length of travel any?
    Guess I'm mixing the concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Thanks for the wisdom, maybe I'm just being too strict when it comes to the trigger being covered and confusing the two.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Ny1 triggers are pretty long. I distinctly remember thinking several times "when is this thing going to go off?"
    The takeup distance is exactly the same, the difference is that the takeup weight is increased and thus you "feel" it longer. This IMO is an excellent thing for the reasons posted above by Chuck Haggard and Tamara.

Everyone has his tastes: SA and go safety on/off ad eternum, safe action and just only kind of trigger pull, SA/DA with the advantages mentioned in this thread, etc. But for the striker actions the goldilocks version for me is one where the striker is not fully precocked, has a rather heavy take up that is not short, and then a clean break that is not too heavy.

I remember well the studies mentioned by Tamara (one by an US agency, other european), I'll post them if I can find them.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 05-27-2016 at 07:29 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hasn't Glock improved the trigger spring, so failures are far less likely now?
    I have no recollection of the coil springs being changed by Glock. Our first G17s my work bought in the late '80s had the original "NY" spring without the coil in the center and eight pound connectors. Glock sent us five pound connectors a year or two later to switch out the heavier ones due to the eight pound (+-marked) connector and NY spring causing issues when installed in the same gun. I forget what the specific problem was but the trigger pulls were quite heavy.
    We traded all the G17s in 1998 for new G3 G22s gun for gun. Those had five pound connectors and the newer "NY-1" olive colored spring.
    In 2005, all the G22s and G27s were traded for G23s. These had eight pound connectors and the coil trigger spring. Two smaller batches of G3 G23s were bought less than five years ago and those had five pound connectors and coil springs. Our recent batch of Gen 4 G23 has the NY-1 installed and am not familiar with the new connector poundage since I have not been to an armorer's school in a very long time. I will not work on the Gen 4s until I get sent back to Glock Armorer's School.
    I have personally replaced three coil trigger springs in 27 years and have had not had to replace a NY spring due to breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've come off the trigger with Glocks as well, in matches, and in real life a couple of times. They are on the ragged edge though.

All of my guns have a NY1 trigger. I did manage to not shoot Dove in the face with a Glock blue/training gun in Southnarc's scenario event at Tac Con, I was halfway through the trigger press when he started to do what he was supposed to do when a "cop" is pointing a gun at him. Pretty sure Craig's T guns have standard triggers.
    You see, I told you I felt like my response was too slow Even rewatching on video I still feel that way. You left that detail out lol.

Were you prepped to the wall, or were you actually moving through it at that point?
    Last edited by GRV; 05-27-2016 at 09:41 AM.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, if the choice is between a NY1 trigger on a glock and a DA/SA I'd go with my DA/SA Beretta every day and twice on Sundays....I can still talk about how my trigger finger is the safety, have a more shootable gun (for me), use 18 round mags, and IMO have a gun that tracks more predictably than a Glock.

But all this is splitting hairs I think.

Buy gun, buy gear, buy ammo, buy training classes. Buy more ammo and classes than you do guns and gear and you're probably gonna be fine.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Thanks for the wisdom, maybe I'm just being too strict when it comes to the trigger being covered and confusing the two.
    I would also like to add if your a gentleman with a little more love handle then is healthy, that iwb holster is gonna be pushed out which means the muzzle is pointed at your thigh.. see it all the time.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 05-27-2016 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I would also like to add if your gentleman with a little more love handle then is healthy, that iwb holster is gonna be pushed out which means the muzzle is pointed at your thigh.. see it all the time.
    ...and the belly grows faster than we would like to acknowlege!

User Tag List